Sign in to follow this  
Peat

TOH crashes after a while

Hi all,

When i start TOH playing career or in the challenge mode, after a while the game crashes and the pc hangs totally up (I have to reset). No one other game shows this issue (BF3, Rage, Dead Islands etc etc.). I got already the 1.02 update.

W7 64, GTX295 285.62, 6GB RAM, Intel i7 960.

If you need any more informations...

Obviously I am the only one...?

Greetz

Peat

and here it is:

takeonh2011110718233937.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Peat

Hi all,

When i start TOH playing career or in the challenge mode, after a while the game crashes and the pc hangs totally up (I have to reset).

Same here, same problem.

Its every time I play TOH, after some time pc freezes.

I have a GT8800, WIN7, 8 Gb Duocore 2,4 GHz

Tried default settings, lowering resolution, unplugged all controllers, but it doesn't help.

no fun this way.

Have you tried using another setting than Default for Video Memory?

Yes, higher than default - same issue.

My game crashes when using default vid memory setting, gtx 460 1go , I use high, without any problems.

Another thing to look out for is if you had the pre-order beta, it maybe useful to create a new profile, this also gave me crashes.

Thanks.

News from here! No issues for the moment with these settings:

takeonh2011110915012800.jpg

Other than soft, flushable CTDs, mostly when AToC is set to 7, I get no crashes on a GTX295 using vid settings in signature.

I filed a ticket for CTDs in the beta, but I also get CTDs in 1.02.

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25288

TakeOnH.cfg:

language="English";

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=100000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Resolution_W=1920;

Resolution_H=1200;

refresh=60;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1920;

Render_H=1200;

FSAA=1;

postFX=2;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1000;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=3;

HDRPrecision=8;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=915800064;

nonlocalVRAM=2147483647;

vsync=1;

AToC=0;

SWLayersCount=64;

PiPEnabled=1;

AmbientTraffic=1;

Windowed=0;

Edited by OMAC

News from here: If AA is set from "low" to "normal" the pc freezes. All other settings are not be affected.

Maybe this is the same issue. I do not get CTD or BSoD - I get a blank (no display) screen with the background sound still playing. If I press ESC, the sound stops and the (big) ToH cursor appears. Moving it around and clicking doesn't do much.

Exit ToH via CTRL+ALT+DEL and end via Task Manager.

Is this the same problem or have I spawned a new one?

Cheers - Dai. :cool:

I'm the same as the above post, game minimizes to desktop while still running and will not reopen, only way to exit is to kill it in task manager. Last time it did this I was only in the game for about 20 seconds and hadn't even left the brothers office.

That's very interesting Ziggy - but why does ToH crash like that?

By the way, is there any way that you can run ToH in windowed mode - that way players with a problem like this could access the Bohemia website for help. Maybe ARMA2 doesn't let you do this...

This is not meant to be anything other than a plea for help - I'm not trying to be clever or start a range war! Just want the game to work without exiting randomly.

Thanks.

---------- Post added at 10:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Just re-started ToH (Patch 1.02 installed). Same problem after only 2 minutes. PC does not respond to your suggested 'flush' commands. Any other suggestions, please?

This is somewhat embarassing - I've no previous with ARMA2 - just flight sim. I'm preparing a Review of ToH for my home forum (Mutley's Hangar) so help would be good.

Thanks - Dai.

@drdavid - I am surprised that Ziggy's solution did not work - that's the usual solution to this problem, unless they change something in the engine with regard to this command. Basically it flushes the video memory.

Did this happen before you patched?

Try these solutions...

1. In c:\users\yourname\My Documents\Take On Helicopters rename the file TakeOnH.cfg to something else and then re-run the game (which will recreate this file). You will have to re-apply your video settings in game. See if this helps.

2. In your video settings in game, check if the video memory is set to default. If it is and you are still getting this, then set it to Very High and try that.

3. Make sure your video drivers are up to date.

4. Try lowering some of your settings to see if this alleviates the problem.

-Ziggy-;2058697']if your game drops to desktop but you can still hear the game' date=' press and hold LEFT SHIFT and press NUMPAD MINUS, then release both and type
flush

[/quote']

Thanks this worked.

For some reason when trying this before I was expecting a console window to open to type 'flush' into.

This might be a heads up to other new people that no window opens after holding & releasing left shift & numpad minus & that you just type 'flush'.

Ah - I was waiting for a window to open - I'll try that. Thanks, 'alters'! :thumbsup:

@ Jedra - if the 'flush' don't work, I'll look at your suggestions - Thanks again...

Just an update - changed from wireless mouse (possibly on blink) to an old wired mouse and ToH ran solid for more than an hour. No problems at all. Must have been the wireless mouse electronics sending random signals which caused the problem.

So, Thanks for your suggestions - I hope I don't have to use them now...

Here's one happy virtual heli-pilot bunny!

Thanks this worked.

For some reason when trying this before I was expecting a console window to open to type 'flush' into.

This might be a heads up to other new people that no window opens after holding & releasing left shift & numpad minus & that you just type 'flush'.

if you read what I wrote, I never suggested a window or console opens. I thought my directions were effective. sorry.

By the way, is there any way that you can run ToH in windowed mode

in your shortcut target line, add

-window

at the end, outside of the quotes. that will start the game in windowed mode.

Windowed.jpg

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

Many Thanks, Ziggy - I'll certainly try that.

Edit Yep - that does the trick - now I can use ToH much like flight sim (FSX). And, a bonus, 'PrtScreen' captures screenshots, maps, notes, etc - excellent.

Thanks, Ziggy - much appreciated, mate!

Edited by drdavid

Ah, great, it worked for me too.

changed the config file as stated and used the -window command in the shortcut. Have flown all evening without the pc crashing on me.

i myself though... crashed a lot, nice game!

Same problem here. The beta was stable. Now i have the full version with the patch and i get constant crashes. Problem with the video settings is, that texture detail now also changes the memory useage. I always use very high for the textures and with the patch, you also have the memory useage set to very high. You have no choice. It also sucks, that the object detail level is linked to the number of object displayed. I would like to see two different ioptions for that, like in all other flightsim games. The object density dramaticly influences the fps rate. But i'd like to have a lower densitiy with max detail. But thats not possible in this game.

I could offer a few suggestions, but realize you have given too little information about your computer configuration to be specific.

takeonh2011120910324402.th.png

Depending on your video card, Very High may not be the ideal setting. It may, in fact, be the source of your crashes. You could try Default video memory with Very High Texture detail, or High video memory with High texture detail. Experiment to find what works best for you.

Object detail and 'density' ARE two separate options, but it is called Object view distance instead. You may select Very High Object detail with, for example, 1000 Object view distance.

You may notice AA is disabled in the screenshot of Video Options. I have recently been convinced that SMAA instead of in game AA is better for my game performance while maintaining good visuals. You should entertain trying that and judge for yourself. link here:

http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/p/injectsmaa.html

takeonh.th.jpg

Finally, please search for TakeOnH.cfg in the Documents/Take On Helicopters folder, and change AToC=7 to AToC=0.

report back if this helped or not, please.

The density of the objects displayed within the view distance also changes when raising the detail level!!! That's what i don't like. Changing the detail should change the number of objects at all.

Second point is, that i can't select default video memory and very high texture detail. It used to work but since the patch, both settings are always equal!! When i set my memory usage to default, the texture detail is default too. Rasing the texture detail also raises the memory usage. No idea why but that's whats happening.

Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 4x 2.66 GHz, 12 MB L2 Cache Total, 1.333 MHz FSB, 45 nm (@ 3.62 Ghz)

ASUS P5QC, P45 chipset, FSB 1.600 MHz

ASUS Silent Knight II CPU Cooler

PALIT GTX570, 1.280 MB DDR5 RAM, PCIe, dual DVI/HDMI

TOSHIBA 37" LCD

Win 7 Home Pro 64bit

240 GB Corsair SSD Force Series 3

Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatality Gamer

2x4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM

ANTEC PSU 750W

TrackIR3 Pro

HOTAS Cougar with "Uber NxT" gimbal mod

SIMPED F-16 Pedals