Sign in to follow this  
Dillinja

joystick Suggestions for TOH

Im i the market for a new flight controller...maybe pocket can go to pedals aswell :) ..Anyone got any good suggestions? price 100gbp can be flexible ;)

Can you give me an other word for "pockets" plz?

Do you ever have any joystick Controler?

The pocket expression was jus refering to maybe i can spend alittle more...

Ive owned a MS FF Sidewinder and a x45...but ive had to leave them back in the uk for dad to use...Currently living in holland and need a nice flight controller to go with this killer game....i know i know its got its little problems which im sure RL heli pilots would notice more than ya average mo...but ive got to do it justice and get off this damm xbox controller...

thanks for the heads-up on x-65f woulffman...too much coice haha but i wunna get 1 to last and do the job :)..

I think Logitech Stick have a problem with Bis Game. Can someone confirm or explain in detail?

X52 Left handed is ok. But the stick isn't that good. Z axe is bad. And it's less accurate than a T16000.

G0sZKHdW

Here is how I fly. A Old Left handed from X45 and a T16000M.

The T16000 isn't expensive and it's one of the most accurate joystick.

Try to found a X52 on Ebay or somewhere else and a T16000. You won't regret ;)

Ohh and do you have a rudder system?

74073.70.70.png

I use the pedal of my Logitech momo. It work fine and it's much more accurate than the Z axe of your stick.

Edited by hon0

Thanks for info Hon0..no i dont have a rudder system as of yet but i feel i need/want one to do it justice...i fly RC helicopters 3D so im use to precise input and i just cant achieve this with an xbox controller ha its almost impossible to fly in expert with this setup and of course thats how id like to fly :)...

While it's quite expensive, the Thrustmaster Warthog is a brilliant stick and I wouldn't use any other. The devs must have thought so because it comes with a simple preset so I didn't have to remap anything. I use Saitek pro-flight pedals as well and they're quite comfortable and easy to use.

try this http://rainman.tv/ or http://www.flightlink.com/hardware/rotorwing/index.html i know nightstalker recommended to go with rainman one because of superior quality etc but i don't know for sure you might have to do some research.

Well those are nice controls(expensive) but Dillinja said that he can spent about 100 gbp = 160$ if im not mistaken . And a bit more money for pedals .

just something to keep in mind then i guess, i know it's not something most people would be able to afford, unless they're die hard helicopter enthusiasts/pilots like nightstalker and i. i'm thinking about purchasing one of these myself soon.

---------- Post added at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 PM ----------

x52 would be a pretty bad choice for helicopter flying because of the strong spring attached to the bottom. i've owned one of these and i tried to loosen it up by unwinding it, was very painful and strenuous LOL. afterwards i found it to be too limp and i kept over controlling. try out different joysticks that has a very soft spring so you can hold your stick comfortably in the upper left position or what have you. the x65 which i use is nice but it is pressure sensitive so it's not great for helicopter flying because of the constantly need to adjust your pressure slightly in different directions while hovering. plus if you need a lot of movement you need to push the stick very hard which is really bad for helicopter controls when you need fine adjustments in pressure.

just something to keep in mind then i guess, i know it's not something most people would be able to afford, unless they're die hard helicopter enthusiasts/pilots like nightstalker and i. i'm thinking about purchasing one of these myself soon.

Nice , if you have more money and u dont know what to do with them or if u win the lottery can u make a gift to me ? just a little 1 i promise :P

Ok here is the gift i want from u : The rainman cockpit systems with Otto B8

I am quite liking my G940 setup at the moment (although I can't fly without auto-trim). I have set it to have 150% force feedback so it is extremely firm, but I have set the control input multiplier to 1.9 which allows me quite a lot of control with very little stick movement.

The only issue I have really is that the throttle (which I am using as collective) has a very slight deadzone in the middle. This is probably due to the way in which the collective is modelled in game (I believe the axies are split into 2 - upper quadrant and lower quadrant like the throttle in Arma). This deadzone is not present outside of TKOH and I have the deadzones set to 0% everywhere. It is a tiny deadzone and I have not found that it ruins my flying - I just need to make a mental note of it when I am making fine adjustments to the collective when it is around the middle.

A'hem...yeah the rainman is a little overpriced for what i want to acheive...that said it doesnt stop me wanting it..very nice indeed, maybe when im 55 60+ roling ona nestegg hehe il invest :).

Again thanks for info and replys....doing me homework now on it :). Really handy the detailed lil reviews nice1 guys..

When u decide what to take post plz cause im also interested on buying a new joystick.

ok dude will do...but im in it for the long haul and in no rush might be a while..but as i said before i wunna do it once and do it right...i know doing it right is rainman territory but i was never good with cards and plus its just too much ££, i see those sort of treats for pre-retirement age hahah !..

But yeah course restless il post when i sort it out !..

I have this http://www.maxflightstick.com/MaxFighter_Standard.html

Not as expensive as other heli controls that have been suggested here, and most likely not as good quality.

I do have a Thrustamster Warthog, but I think this heli setup is better, has no centering spring the throw of the cyclic is pretty big too. Because the range of motion of the cyclic I upped the sensitivity in TKOH to 2.0 and I can fly the aircraft with very little movement. Though the only thing is, because it does not have centering spring hovering when looking sideways is very difficult, you got to be looking almost straight ahead to see the attitude and roll changes. All in all it is pretty good fun.

I will one day purchase the collective with twist grip. (I originally purchased this for fixed wing.)

ok nev_vern thanks for that....its a middel ground from the MS FF and Extreme 3d pro's of this world to the rainman setup..hummmmmmm defo food for thought yeah id go twist grip if i did purchase ... do u regret getting the non twist version ? or do u still fly fixed wing enough to warrant your buy...

ok nev_vern thanks for that....its a middel ground from the MS FF and Extreme 3d pro's of this world to the rainman setup..hummmmmmm defo food for thought yeah id go twist grip if i did purchase ... do u regret getting the non twist version ? or do u still fly fixed wing enough to warrant your buy...

I originally bought this as a test (an expensive test) for fixed wing flying, I wanted to see if I had more control over the aircraft for formation flying in FSX using the FSRecorder addon, and to be honest I think I do have more control (even though I dont use it for formation flying because in formation you are usually looking at least 45 degrees to the side and because of the no centering force it becomes harder). If I want to bank and turn the aircraft at say 4G then maintaining almost exactly 4G is not a problem unlike with joysticks where the stick is very small where you grab the stick not far from the pivot point. The cyclic is almost 3 feet high, and even though the stick only moves about 20 degrees in either direction, because of it's length your hand can move quite a lot (maybe a foot from extreme left to extreme right.

Anyway, even though I purchased this about 2 years ago I have only had a maximum of maybe 5 hours using it, because I noticed that in the fore/aft motion of the cyclic there was a little bit of free play in the cyclic before the mechanism with the potentiometer moved, there was about an inch of free movement in the fore/aft axis. After I purchased TKOH I had a look at it to see if I can do anything about it, my problem was I did not tighten the screws enough! After tightening the 2 screws there is no free play at all. Ok, I am drifting from your question, let me get back on track....

I think I should of purchased the twist grip in stead of the throttle, as I only use the maxflight stick for TKOH or when flying a heli in FSX since i repaired the free play in the cyclic problem.

When I said the quality is not like more expensive heli setups I meant it in a 50/50 manner. The build quality is very good, its made of durable steel parts, so it wont brake easily. The thing I am concerned about is how much resolution the potentiometer are. My fighter style throttle seems to have a much lower resolution than the cyclic, seems a little inaccurate on the readouts (numbers jumping around) but no problem with the cyclic. I actually emailed the company yesterday to ask about how much the pricing for the twist grip collective is, and how much resolution the controls are, still waiting for a reply.

I will also ask if he is thinking of making 16bit resolution with hall sensors versions in the future, which will definitely make this cheaper alternative more competitive with the higher end hardware.

Could someone who have a heli setup take a video please? In witch we can see your move and the heli reaction? I would like to see how it CAN be precise compare to a "normal" joystck.

Thanks by advance.

Antoine

Could someone who have a heli setup take a video please? In witch we can see your move and the heli reaction? I would like to see how it CAN be precise compare to a "normal" joystck.

Thanks by advance.

Antoine

I would love to make you a video, but I do not have a camera. The best I can do is give you the link to a video. The controls in the video are the same as the ones I have purchased.

EDIT: DUHHHHH, forgot to include the link lol

Edited by nev_vern

I think I just need practice. I've noticed with the X-65F that it's hard to tell how much for force I'm using when on the ground.