Sign in to follow this  
walker

Androids are getting very realistic.

Hi all

The latest androids are almost there.

I7tYwnqot6M

This is what they are testing for use with robots to care for the elderly.

Kind Regards walker

This is what they are testing for use with robots to care for the elderly.

Why don't they just get a person to do it and why does it sound like it's powered by a diesel engine? :biggrin:

Why don't they just get a person to do it and why does it sound like it's powered by a diesel engine? :biggrin:
Because the japanese live in fear of immigrant and prefer all work to be done by robots instead of letting foreigners in. Thats one reason for the massive overaging of the population.

So what else does it do besides bob it's head? ;)
maybe it can shake hands without crushing them.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRI5htS3KAgzlQIXTVuj1Klb3XBR1ZKhi6yWZ7EvNFLgkMnTkZs+ This = images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4GyqmRAeshxvkl8-ulXTX5yA1c3z5oAH7lXSZIJUwQSEfEafr

:D

OT: engineering is getting more and more impressive

Or as the financial controllers say: enginneering get more and more expensive without any return.

Hi -Martin-

Japan has an elderly care crisis. Too many elderly and not enough people to look after them. There is a similar problem working its way up through most western countries. It is due to the low appreciation and too low pay of those who work in scial care but primarily due to low population growth.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1882907/

China is the country that will suffer from it the most.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

On a side note, this is also quite impressive. Remember the "Big Dog"? Same guys:

mclbVTIYG8E

Which makes me think: What an impressive and "well oiled" machine we have as body.

So what else does it do besides bob it's head? ;)

Seriously.., isnt that enough for you?

/smut off

:D

Why don't they just get a person to do it

Pretty much my first thought... why buy a expensive robot and not instead get a real human to take care of elder people and that.

I can already see how i tell my robot nurse about how it was back then when im a old man... sigh.

They should really be building robots for jobs humans can't do, such as working in disaster (read: nuclear) situations. Not for jobs humans could be employed for. I was kind of surprised Japan didn't have something robotic up their sleeves to help deal with Fukushima.

Pretty much my first thought... why buy a expensive robot and not instead get a real human to take care of elder people and that.

I can already see how i tell my robot nurse about how it was back then when im a old man... sigh.

We already do that in the NHS in the UK and it's not working. The standard of care in many hospitals was found to be so low it was illegal.

eg.Elderly patients dying of dehydration because no one can be bothered to get them a glass of water - doctors have started to put them on saline drips because the nurses cant be trusted. Same with malnutrition - food left out of reach, patients not fed, bedsores, and being left to lie in own waste for 24hrs.

I had a first hand account recently of an old lady dying of terrible neglect in hospital - the nurses on the ward falsified the medical records to cover it up.

I'll take the Android - it's less likely to skive off.

Edited by PELHAM

Hi PELHAM

The reason that the NHS has degenerated since the conservatives gained power is because they defunded it and brought in private contract nursing for elderly care.

Kind Regards walker

They should really be building robots for jobs humans can't do, such as working in disaster (read: nuclear) situations. Not for jobs humans could be employed for. I was kind of surprised Japan didn't have something robotic up their sleeves to help deal with Fukushima.
Thats because robots are expensive and are used onyl for absolutely useless stuff like doing jobs that humans can do better and for simulating pets. So thats why they have robot dogs that pee and hunt cats but no robots for Nuclear desasters... just look at japanese robot industries... they build toys... even the cars are just toys... and the worst is... they don't invent anything...they just try to make other ones inventions perfect.

Hi PELHAM

The reason that the NHS has degenerated since the conservatives gained power is because they defunded it and brought in private contract nursing for elderly care.

Kind Regards walker

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_budget_pie_chart#ukgs302

Walker, the problem isn't the money, it is with the management of the NHS and what they are doing with the money. e.g. increasing doctors annual from £80k to £100k is not cleaning and equipping hospitals. The current problems with the NHS has been lurking around long before the current liberal & conservative coalition government was elected.

Hi PELHAM

Kind Regards walker

The investigation phase of the report was completed under the last government so you are yet again talking crap as you well know. There is no private contract nursing on NHS Geriatric Wards in hospitals.

The well documented incidents of neglect and ill treatment of patients on NHS wards goes back to the changes in training brought about in 1997 by the Labour Government. Since they made nursing a degree only course it became all about medication and administration and no one likes getting their hands dirty anymore. They changed the culture you see.

No one can tell if funding has gone up or down slightly but it's about the same really. As for making any changes, they only had the vote in parliament on that last month so you fall flat on your face right there.

PS I know 2 senior NHS managers and have 1 relative that works in community care. I get my info 1st hand and I can list the waste and mismanagement of the last 10 years chapter and verse if you like.

Edited by PELHAM

I,for one,welcome our robot overlords.I'm sure they'll rebel but it would be damn nice to see some T-800s on battlefield(or use them for elderly care).:p

Anyway that nurse bot looks friggin scary.

Because the japanese live in fear of immigrant and prefer all work to be done by robots instead of letting foreigners in. Thats one reason for the massive overaging of the population.

http://satwcomic.com/robots

I seem to remember there was a more appropriate thread for this specific link, but this is more recent, and still somewhat appropriate I think.

Another link to a realistic robot.

Still walks like it's in sticky mud, but I am impressed with it's crouching abilities. I wonder how long before one of these guys is stomping into Afghanistan or some similar place.

It seemed amazing at first but then I noticed that the robot is hung on two cables. So it's not clear whether it's capable of `serious' walking.

EDIT: I take it back. In first part it's really cool (w/o cables) :)

It seemed amazing at first but then I noticed that the robot is hung on two cables. So it's not clear whether it's capable of `serious' walking.

EDIT: I take it back. In first part it's really cool (w/o cables) :)

I don't think the robot is actually suspended from those cables, they look like they're extending as the robot crouches. I think they're there to prevent it from falling if it falls beyond it's expected limits. I would expect that those cables will extend freely to a certain distance that represents normal activity, but will suddenly stop extending if they go beyond a normal activity, which would represent a fall. I'm guessing those robots will be expensive :)