Sign in to follow this  
Patchman123

Improved Sniping Physics

Ever play ARMA2 and OFP while being a sniper and The enemy instantly knows where you are?

Well,

I hope to have that changed. The game lacks real sniper physics because you fire at an enemy, the AI instantly knows where you are. The Gillie suit camo is absolutely useless. It does not hide you from enemy eyes, it's just a costume. It has the effect of a Halloween costume, rather than as a serious battlefield implement.

Chuck Mawhinney in Vietnam sniped VietCong soldiers at such close range as I am shooting in the game. And he was never detected. When I snipe at such close range, the enemy instantly knows where I am.

The ground is rocky and there is nowhere to hide for a sniper. The camouflage does not break up my outline at all.

A Ghillie suit is not a silly Halloween costume that you put on to look cool, it's a protective implement that protects you from being seen by the enemy.

It's almost as though the computer is telling the AI where my position is.

How the hell is the AI soldier able to hit me while he is the prone position and I am also in the prone position and I can't even see him?

Edited by Patchman123

The computer is telling the AI where you are, I guess there are limits to how realistic ofp can be but if you play around with these settings

visibleFire=2;

audibleFire=1;

visibleFireTime=3;

under class CfgAmmo you can make a rifle which will have sort of the characteristic your looking for. Oh and another tip hide in a bush I guess chuck did the same, works pretty well in OFP land.

STGN

This issue is fixed in ArmAII:OA beta...but not for OFP.

maybe it would be possible to replicate DM Hide (an Armed Assault mod) for OFP?

It worked by creating a invisible dome around the player when he "hides" which shields him from notice by AI. Whenever he fires a weapon, the dome slowly gets smaller, until the AI "see" the player. Using silenced weapons minimizes the reduction effect.

It worked pretty well in Armed Assault. No reason it shouldn't in OFP, unless it's an engine issue.

After watching docus like "Sniper: Inside the Crosshairs" or "Sniper Deadliest Missions" it's hard not to admit that unfortunately sniper in OFP is a misunderstanding:(

maybe it would be possible to replicate DM Hide (an Armed Assault mod) for OFP?

Can someone point me please to this DM Hide thing - I can't find it somehow:/