Sign in to follow this  
On_Sabbatical

OPFOR sniper rifles

Yesterday,i noticed for the first time that not a single OPFOR faction has a decent sniper rifle while BLUFOR has maybe 7 rifles with zeroing...

KSVK, Vss Vintorez and SVD what do you need more?

A rifle that has a good zoom AND can be zeroed. SVD's scope has a laughably small zoom for its long effective range while the VSS is the opposite.

Guess BIS didn't have the time or didn't want to model the 1P21 (3x9x42 PSO) or the PSO 4-8x42D telescopic sights. Takistani MoD maybe even forgot to order these small things... Old Scud's and golden AK's seem to be more important to this military regime. Maybe some weapon dealer (BIS or freelance) are able to deliver the missing parts and rifles on request? ;)

Guess BIS didn't have the time or didn't want to model the 1P21 (3x9x42 PSO) or the PSO 4-8x42D telescopic sights. Takistani MoD maybe even forgot to order these small things... Old Scud's and golden AK's seem to be more important to this military regime. Maybe some weapon dealer (BIS or freelance) are able to deliver the missing parts and rifles on request? ;)

Takistan's or other countries always using 4x PSO or 6x PSO on the SVD - http://tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstpso.html

Not sure in Russian army ,but i think they using something else for longer range like SV98M etc

A rifle that has a good zoom AND can be zeroed. SVD's scope has a laughably small zoom for its long effective range while the VSS is the opposite.

my only gripe is this, the SVD has no where near the zoom required for its practical ranges.

Anything 600m and beyond is guess work

KSVK however is fine and I like it very much

The Zoom on the SVD may not be great, but once you spot your Target, its dead.

I´m a killer with that Weapon under ACE conditions.

The KSVK is just awesome for longer Ranges and against light vehicels.

The Vintorez is also great. You have to get a little bit closer to your enemy, but then you can pick them off and they won´t know where its coming from.

The Sniper rifle I like the most is the ACE M109 HE Shells FTW even in CQB

I_J6uwPtYHQ

yes, lets add the sv98. while were at it how about 12x zoom and magnum ammo?

Don't the Russians use 'Western' rifles like Sako TRG-42s and Accuracy International AWMs for that sort of thing anyway?

As for adjustable zeros for the PSO scopes - on the real scope, doesn't changing the elevation drum raise and lower the reticle pattern inside the sight picture? In OA, where 'zeroing' pretty much just means selecting a discrete range value; doing it realistically would effectively just shift the horizon line down to one of the existing stadia chevrons in the PSO's graticle - I don't really see there being any more benefit to that than remembering what all the stadia lines mean in the current sight picture.

I see what you did there.

The czech CZ550 while game wise affiliated to Resistance in ArmA2 makes a good sniper rifle. You can find it on RU weapon choices in most CTI missions...so...I consider this the only true OFFOR sniper rifle for now on par with M24 etc. The slick rifle does the job very well and I feel comfy with it because it reminds me of my customized Mauser M96/38 with 4-12x42 scope.

Edited by Beagle

the PSO is fully adjustable in real life. it has the quick rangefinder reticule, but it also has elevation knob. set it to the correct distance and shoot off the top chevron rather than one of the lower ones

I just use the pso's range finder, and to great effect at that. It's a great rifle, and I rarely have issues engaging at ranges of ~800m

Why snipe them when you can just Grad the whole city? :P But seriously whats wrong with the KSVK?

Why snipe them when you can just Grad the whole city? :P But seriously whats wrong with the KSVK?

Small mags, slow firing rate, zoom is way too big to be practical for most situations, can't have a launcher at the same time.

Were it up to me the Barrett, AS-50 and KSVK should operate like static weapons (ie, you have to stop and set them up to use). Being able to run around with a 30-lb Barrett is totally ridiculous and reminiscent of the morons in CoD who clear bunkers with them. You can't fire an anti-materiel rifle from the shoulder, it just doesn't work that way.

Except that you can.

Looks super effective for the 1 mile plus engagement ranges that you use the M107 at.

If someone pops up 10 feet away the effective range drops as needed.

Wait...

"Western' rifles like Sako TRG-42s"

>Western

>Sako TRG-42

I dunno, but I wouldnt call Finland western, neither eastern... um... I dont know what to call my own homeland. How sad

Wait...

>Western

>Sako TRG-42

I dunno, but I wouldnt call Finland western, neither eastern... um... I dont know what to call my own homeland. How sad

Finland is western, just like Sweden or Australia.

Wait...

>Western

>Sako TRG-42

That's why I put western in quotation marks. ;) Since most of the TRG users are within NATO, but Finland itself isn't, I figured 'western' was the nearest approximation given your country's standard of living and economics is generally what people would associate with western European nations.

I don't really know how to describe the collective 'mostly West/NATO but not entirely' military bloc that is focused on the defence of Europe, and notionally exists today between the EU and several non-EU countries. :D