Sign in to follow this  
zonker3210

Memory: Operation Arrowhead (CAS)

I'm playing this side mission and the main helo just got shot down. I've been asked to provide close air support but no matter what I do, I get a message saying "Task Failed" and am ordered to return to base. I've tried circling the area and I've tried hovering over the downed helo. I've gone out to engage the inbound technicals and I've sat & waited for them to arrive near the crash site. No matter what I do, no luck. I've also noticed that I can't seem to get my side gunners to engage the technicals so I've used Hydra rockets against them with limited results.

Is there a trick to this? Thanks!

I thought it supposed to fail I didnt see anybody too.

I kept getting task failed as well and then to see if it was story related I dropped difficulty to Beginner and managed to blow up 1 or 2 technicals with Hydras and got Task Complete and that enemy forces were withdrawing and then you get told to go land and get the Cpt. So its not story related but on Trainee I havent been able to do it. I believe its partly related to not having your crew firing on the technicals and personnel as I believe on the higher difficulty you need to take out more in order to get them to withdraw. So if anyone can provide info on how to get your weapons crew to fire that would be helpful. I've looked through the controls and manual and there really isnt anything clearly explaining how to give orders to crew. I also noticed a new "order bar" below the guages (I may just not seen it before) and hitting 1-4 opens up different command menues but nothing happens.

Anyways other than this so far enjoying the game a lot...except for autorotation grr!! I'm gonna give putting the throttles in idle that someone recommend a try and see if that helps as by the time I'm told to flare its too late (if I understand the process correctly all you're doing is stopping/slowing forward progress and reduce rate of decent with the flare and so as long as you dont let your tail hit the ground things should be good)

Just came here looking for an answer to the CAS mission. First I think I need to remap the Hydra button as my Warthog trigger aint doing it (which is odd as the rest of the button presets work fine).

If anyone has any solutions, please post 'em!

I've always used a keyboard for flying when playing BI games although I did recently get a joystick for another game. I'll try it with TOH and see if it helps at all. I don't understand the lack of documentation for TOH. The commands are the same (i.e., select a unit and press 2 to order them to target another unit, etc.) but the AI don't respond in the same manner at all. It's weird because in the ArmA games, they AI would have engaged the technicals and infantry without a problem. Maybe there's an intentional difference in this game but I'm not sure why they'd change that sort of thing instead of focusing on the new flight models. Weird. Anyhow, I'll try some more once I get the joystick configured and see if I can complete this task successfully.

On Expert, my side gunners did open fire on the technicals several times. Hit 3, ~, 5 for them to fire at will.

I blew up at least one with hydras, and possibly two, but so far the CAS objective always fails. It is difficult to see what action triggers the failure. Perhaps failure occurs if any opfor reach an area around the downed chopper? It's good to hear that the CAS objective is completable.

I guess I'll keep trying until I complete CAS. I saved the game at the start of the CAS task, but, as is normal for A2 campaign missions, once the mission is complete, you cannot access the save and have to play the whole mission from scratch. Which is fine, except that it takes time to complete the flying in formation task (difficult and awesome) to get to the troublesome CAS task.

---------------------------------

Edit:

I've replayed memory OA many times on Expert, applying extreme concentration and considerable A2 CO fighting skills, and still have not yet completed the CAS task. I have nailed the first technical many times with hydras, my miniguns sweeping up any remaining soldiers, who always run away to the north after the technical is blown. This first technical is always blown well north of the crash site, on the north side of the E-W drainage just north of the site. I then have gone further north and engaged the other technical and taken it out also. There is an empty BTR and a squad of troops up there at the "enemy position" marked on the map, but I have never had time to wipe them out before CAS fails*. Regardless of what I do, the CAS task fails, and that is most frustrating. Often, just AFTER the task fails, I get radio that several opfor units are approaching my position, even after I have destroyed several of them. Perhaps there are other unseen opfor infiltrating the crash site from the south? Don't know.

My impression is that, since the memories are "more challenging and optional" extra missions, one is not supposed to worry too much about completing this CAS task and just move on, or that there is a design problem with the CAS task completion trigger (perhaps relative to difficulty settings).

*:) Once, out of frustration, after I had wiped out both technicals and after the CAS task failed, I landed the chopper up north, entered the BTR, and used it to wipe out the squad of opfor troops up there.

Edited by OMAC

It's OK to fail the CAS, but to make that clearer we'll get the task to cancel instead of fail when CSAR arrives. We'll also tune the timing of CSAR's arrival to give you a bit more time to actually complete the CAS (this is a possible flow for the scenario by the way).

It's OK to fail the CAS, but to make that clearer we'll get the task to cancel instead of fail when CSAR arrives. We'll also tune the timing of CSAR's arrival to give you a bit more time to actually complete the CAS (this is a possible flow for the scenario by the way).

Hi DnA,

Excellent. Those are perfect solutions. The mission will be a real gem, and is a great way to turn new ToH-only people on to A2 CO. Once they get a taste of combat, it will be difficult for them to turn back. :)

Thanks,

OMAC

I have now tried to complete this task 20 times or so, but allways failing.

This CAS task, makes me want to stop playing TOH! Haven't played the game for 2 weeks since i got stuck at this...

Really sad, since I enjoy the game.

I have now tried to complete this task 20 times or so, but allways failing.

This CAS task, makes me want to stop playing TOH! Haven't played the game for 2 weeks since i got stuck at this...

You do not have to 'win' the CAS; you can just continue the scenario and finish it. AI CSAR will take over for you :)

If you want to skip the scenario anyway, use LShift + NumMin + ENDMISSION, or revert to Heliport and answer your brother not to listen to his memory.

In 1.03, Arrowhead is fixed and fantastic. A real joy to play. :bounce3:

I can't remember if this was the case in 1.02, but the "ambient" sounds that occur when commanding your squad, such as "Engage at will," "All...Danger," "All...Go prone!" do not play when such commands are given. ???

After the CAS task was completed, I landed next to the crash site and two of the 3 crew boarded my chopper. But the third was injured, lying prone, and wouldn't move. I took off again, and landed again a little closer, got out, and went up to him and nudged him. He thankfully then crawled over to my chopper and got in. Whew. But I almost had to revert to an autosave.

554f19166093821.jpg

And by the way, it is a blast to play on Expert with no autohover, and with kb/mouse!!!

Edited by OMAC

I know this is an old topics but my feeling is that there has been something wrong with this mission, maybe since a recent update.

I am not an expert into military stuff, but an helicopter shot down in 2 or 3 shots from some guy at 800 m firing from a car driving off-road at full speed does not sound very realistic at all. What makes it even more annoying is that, conversely, your own gunners are perfectly useless. In 12 attempts, they have never hit any of the two car, even once. In 12 attempts, these bloody cars have always shot me down.

The only way to destroy them seems to be to go straight to them firing rockets, but this is pure suicide. Even if you destroy both of them, you will be shot as well and die.

What's wrong with me? What's wrong with the mission? I am suspecting opponents' skills have been somehow updated recently, making the mission not doable anymore.

Dont try it. In this mission You must be shot down. Its a part of scenario. After this do safe autorotation and keep orders.

I have a similar problem with the mission, every time i want to play the mission i can't get further than the formation flying.

Cause every time just before the other helicopter is shot down (yeah i reached that point once, but after the autosave it went wrong) i make a normal turn to the right/left and my rotorblades just stop and i can't get them working again before i crash.

I hope anyone knows a solution to this problem.