Sign in to follow this  
Bluehammer

Help on landing

I totally understand your frustration Jedra. My problem is still fine control when landing as I seem to drift left or right, over-compensate, start oscillating, clip something and roll.

I'm not sure what speed you approach your landings, but after watching MD500's video I've started coming into land a little quicker than I used to, which I find really helps with stability. I've also started descending quicker than I used to and use the bouncy castle ground effect as a cushion.

Stick with it mate, I'm sure you'll get it sooner rather than later.

I totally understand your frustration Jedra. My problem is still fine control when landing as I seem to drift left or right, over-compensate, start oscillating, clip something and roll.

I'm not sure what speed you approach your landings, but after watching MD500's video I've started coming into land a little quicker than I used to, which I find really helps with stability. I've also started descending quicker than I used to and use the bouncy castle ground effect as a cushion.

Stick with it mate, I'm sure you'll get it sooner rather than later.

I think that's part of my problem in that I am reducing speed too soon and then losing stability. I suddenly find myself going backwards and upwards at a rate of knotts because I have reduced my speed to much.

I had a rest day today and will try again tomorrow. Also I am still getting used to the Logitech G940 that my Dad kindly leant me.

I will perservere though - last night I was just feeling a little weary from the effort!

Maybe of same help : without touching your actual settings, try to disable the option regarding "wind influence" ; in my case it made the things extremely better .. Of course the target is to set it to enable once made enough experience ;)

Denis

Ok, after several days of practice I can now land a light helicopter pretty much where I want to. The approach is somewhat 'cowboy' and sometimes I have to 'go round' but I can do it every time! Ok, I am flying with auto-trim enabled but 'from little acorns...'.

Thanks to all the advice here - I did take it all on board and somehow managed to translate the knowledge into electronic brain impulses which somehow managed to keep my ham fists under control!!

Thanks for the vids MD500Enthusiast. I'm practicing hard too.

When you say in the vids "slow down a little" , that for me is very hard to accomplish. How are you slowing down ?

W1ndy thats quite easy, cyclic aft (to slow down) + collective down (to maintain altitude) + correct yaw with pedals. Of course really small inputs. And it takes some time to slow down, helicopters doesn't have brakes to stop on the spot.