Sign in to follow this  
LCYcowboy

Which new graphic card

Hi all,

I have been fighting this new sim for a couple of days, and have come to the conclusion that I might need a new graphics card. My system is a couple of years old and was put together for fs9.

Specs are:

E8600 ovc to 4.0

Nvidia 280

4 gigs of fast Ram

It has coped well with everything up to now (great with fs9, rise of flight etc). But, TOH seems too much. Unless I lower the setting to such an extent that it looks awful, I get stutters which also seem to cause control problems.

Would a 570 card (about £300) make a big difference? For this amount of investment I would want to be able to run smooth with good graphics

Is this realistic?

Thanks

Edited by LCYcowboy
Typo

I'm sure it would make a difference in fps but it doesn't guarantee that you will get rid of the stutter. Defrag your HDD and see if it changes things. However I strongly recommend a SSD. Your graphicscard should be perfectly able to render good graphics.

I don't experience any stutter (25-50fps) and I'm very satisfied with the graphics (see my specs in the sig below; game is installed on a OCZ Vertex 2 120GB SSD).

My videosettings (Screen from the beta but they are the same now): http://abload.de/image.php?img=takeonh2011-10-1015-00h6za.jpg

Hi LCYcowboy -

I'm running the game with on an intel i7-920, win 7 (x64), 8gb ram, AMD 5850 w/ 1gb ram, 1tb hd @7200rpm and the game runs really well for me - 30-50fps.

Your current GTX 280 is only a few rungs below mine according to Tom's Hardware... and really i wouldn't recommend upgrading just yet unless you're extremely rich - i'd say your card has at least 6 months left in it personally.

If you haven't looked at it yet, one of the devs has posted an entertaining video settings tutorial that got the game going from about 20fps at high settings to where i am now - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=126178

Cranking the visibility to max at the outset is NOT the way to go, even with a system that meets or exceeds the recommended build. Expect to tweak it for a good hour or so to find your system's sweet spot. Right now my visibility sits around 8000, with every other setting (besides video memory and clouds - which are at normal) at maximum. Even in dense downtown, it's nice and smooth.

Hope this helps and be sure to post more about what settings you're using. I don't think you'll find a single person on here that has this game maxxed and running perfectly just yet.

I have had stutters in games before and almost every time the problem has been solved by installing the very latest drivers for my video card (one time it turned out to be something to do with my wireless mouse/kb combo as it stopped once I removed them!).

There was one other case (I believe it was ArmA2 ages ago) where I had to roll back two versions of the video drivers to stop stuttering, but once they patched it I was able to go back to the newest drivers again.

I knew it was some sort of game/driver issue in every case as, once in LotRO for example, I was getting 106fps and it was still unplayable owing to stutter :D