Sign in to follow this  
Mithious

Control issue on take off

Hi everyone,

I'm new to TOH (and helicopters in general). I've been going through the training and haven't had any issues while in flight but I'm running into what seems to be a strange issue on take off.

I'm sitting on the ground with collective fully down. If I move the cyclic (I'm using an X52 pro) I can see the rotors tilting. If I release the stick they visually return back to their original position. If I now increase collective to take off my helicopter immediately tilts alarmingly in whatever direction I last had the cyclic.

For example. If I push the cyclic fully forward, then release, the rotors tilt forward, then go back again. If I now take off, without touching the cyclic, the helicopter just somersaults forward and I crash.

This is making it very difficult to take of as I've absolutely no idea which direction it's going to lurch violently as soon as it starts to leave the ground.

Any ideas?

I know I could avoid moving the cyclic at all, however if I need to abort the takeoff I then run into this issue again.

Sounds like a bug. I cannot confirm it right now, maybe someone else can do it? I'll try to check it out tomorrow.

i'm always using auto hover function at take off and landing.

what's the difficulty setting? It could be a "bug" related to auto-trimming which is enabled by default in beginner and trainee levels.

can you reproduce in expert mode, too? (i can't)

I had a similar issue with my Speedlink Black Widow USB flightstick. The standard windows drivers have it recognised as a 'standard usb joystick' or something like that.

Unfortunately, the official drivers for it make FSX unplayable for some reason (constant vibration that can't be turned off and low frame rate) so I can't keep them installed.

The fix I found for ToH was to configure the stick in-game as a Saitek Cyborg, now works perfectly with no 'flipping' on take-off.

Don't know if this is relevant to your exact issue, but thought I'd mention it.

I am not able to reproduce such behavior. First check your controller mapping if there is no other controller on cyclic that can interfere and add some unexpected imput. Than you can try to check your controller calibration in windows. What should anyway help is to adjust sensitivity and remove deadzones in game controlers setup. I recomend to set sensitivity curve on cyclic to 1/4 of the slider if you find controls too sensitive. Same can be made with anti torque pedals. Collective axis curve should be left linear (1/2 of slider as default).

Edited by Armored_Sheep

How can I switch to an external view? someone help me I need to play on the external view mode

Press Enter on the numpad to toggle internal/external view.

Just want to add that I had the exact same problem when taking off in the light helicopter. Only very carefully raising the collective and correcting the pitch and roll I observe (with only a part of the skids touching the ground) I manage to take off, but very uncontrolled in which direction I'm going when I leave the ground.

I'll double check when I have the time before I complain more tho ;)