Sign in to follow this  
astleyRick

Which version(s) to buy to prepare for Arma 3?

hey everyone, I'm new to this game, I decided to put my attenton to arma series games instead of battlefield since battlefield3 really dissapointed me. It's just another console dumbed down game and what I saw in arma games was that it has big maps and vehicle warfare (which I really like and usually play with). I'm a fan of... helos (attack ones) and was really dissapointed how they handle etc and the fact that they have perks and other nonsense in bf3, I tried flying apache ah64 in OPERATION ARROWHEAD and wow all I can say is is that it handles so much better and it just feels a lot more realistic. I was repeating that mission over and over again was just amazed how they got them so right in the game. anyway... what I should learn before I get arma 3 when it comes out? I played a little on my friends pc (he has the OA game). Which arma game you would recommend me to buy? Does it have any type of capture-hold game modes? Or just CO OP (I heard this was the most popular mode)?

Edited by Foxhound
Title changed, topic moved

I think Arma 2 may be available as a FREE download but in my opinion Operation Arrowhead has the more recent additions and is a ton of fun!!

Co-op is certainly the popular online choice but Project Reality and other servers do focus on Player versus player.

One thing to note as a new player is keeping up with patches, addons and certain mods that servers either require you to have or toggle off.

:)

Hey Rick!

If you want the full ArmA 2 expereince I suggest you buy ArmA 2: COmbined operations and then the 2 DLC's.

You can buy a hard copy or if you want to support the developers, buy it from the developer online store HERE

If you have more cash you can buy the Aniversary edition which includes: ArmA: Cold war assault ( which was know as Operation Flashpoint : Cold war crysis when it came out in 2001) ArmA: Gold edition ( the second game in the series that came out in 2007), ArmA 2 :COmbined Operations and the 2 DLC packs

MP includes all types of games from PvP , TvT, Capture the Island ( game map), CO-OP, Armoury , etc

It also has a mission editor so you can make your own SP or MP missions or campaigns and even your own game modes.

If you do buy the game my advice is to play it without mod's for a while , see how you enjoy it. For MP I suggest you join an organized group, otherwise the MP experience will seem a tad bit bland.

You can find groups HERE Some are realism groups that play with mods lile ACE 2 and some groups play vanila ArmA 2: CO and are much more layed back, but still tactical :)

What PC configuration do you have?

Edited by Maio

One thing you should know about Arma is that you shouldn't compare it in any way, shape or form to any other commercial wargame out there. Arma brings a level of realism that comes with a very steep learing curve that scares most other gamers away. You talked about flying the Apache, you should know that in Arma you only get what you see. That means 1200 rounds of 30 mm ammunition, 64 rockets and 8 missiles on the Apache. A lock-on from enemy missiles mostly means instand death and you don't respawn when you manage to take the helicopter to the ground. Then its just you and your co-pilot (if he's still alive) and any equipment you've got on you. I goes pretty much the same for armored warfare, fixed wing and infantry. Planning is vital, and enemy fire is unforgiving.

As far as multiplayer goes, there's only one big map in Arma, in Arma 2 this was a map of 225 square kilometers and in Arma 3 the map will be about 470 square kilometers. Again during online play communication and teamplay is crittical to your survival. The skirmishes mostly take place in a certain part of the map, but can be expanded thrue out the entire map depending on the amount of players. There's also a singleplayer campaign wich can be played in coop as well.

Lastly the thing that seperates Arma from other war games is the immense modding community. I don't think there's any Arma fan out there that hasn't got any mods running while playing. There are some major conversions that are very popular and have a big team behind them like:

- Project Reality

- Ace 2.0

- 1944 mod

I advise you to start digging around in these to learn more about them and to find the mods that fit you. Next to that there are tons of other mods that change everything from the basic gameplay to adding units and vehicels to changing the look of the game.

The biggest community site is Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/), there you can find pretty much any mod. You can also find lots of fixes for issues next to the official pathes that Bohemia Interacitve release every once in a while. They have a huge forum that discusses anything to do with Arma and Bohemia Interactive, I also advise you to make an account on this site.

Thats pretty much the basis of what Arma is.

ArmA 2 Combined Operations is the one to buy. Also 2 DLCs depending on the taste (I can only recommend BAF but not PMC)

Then install ACE2 mod for more realism and gameplay features (in fact it makes Apache much better too since you will have access to multiple firing modes for missiles, including marking targets for them using the map)

There are many different gameplay modes. As someone said ArmA is a Lego SDK - it's up to you (and other people) to tweak the game to your liking.

There are PvP (incl. capture and hold) missions both on sites like Armaholic, mission subforums here and servers running them

COOP you are talking about isn't really COOP, it's just Domination which is infinitely respawning players overflowing areas with AIs with their dead bodies.

Proper coop is played on closed servers with TS3 and interesting "homebrew" missions. A totally different thing.

Just saying so you won't be confusing an inferior mode with a good mode.

One thing you should know about Arma is that you shouldn't compare it in any way, shape or form to any other commercial wargame out there. Arma brings a level of realism that comes with a very steep learing curve that scares most other gamers away. You talked about flying the Apache, you should know that in Arma you only get what you see. That means 1200 rounds of 30 mm ammunition, 64 rockets and 8 missiles on the Apache. A lock-on from enemy missiles mostly means instand death and you don't respawn when you manage to take the helicopter to the ground. Then its just you and your co-pilot (if he's still alive) and any equipment you've got on you. I goes pretty much the same for armored warfare, fixed wing and infantry. Planning is vital, and enemy fire is unforgiving.

As far as multiplayer goes, there's only one big map in Arma, in Arma 2 this was a map of 225 square kilometers and in Arma 3 the map will be about 470 square kilometers. Again during online play communication and teamplay is crittical to your survival. The skirmishes mostly take place in a certain part of the map, but can be expanded thrue out the entire map depending on the amount of players. There's also a singleplayer campaign wich can be played in coop as well.

Lastly the thing that seperates Arma from other war games is the immense modding community. I don't think there's any Arma fan out there that hasn't got any mods running while playing. There are some major conversions that are very popular and have a big team behind them like:

- Project Reality

- Ace 2.0

- 1944 mod

I advise you to start digging around in these to learn more about them and to find the mods that fit you. Next to that there are tons of other mods that change everything from the basic gameplay to adding units and vehicels to changing the look of the game.

The biggest community site is Armaholic (http://www.armaholic.com/), there you can find pretty much any mod. You can also find lots of fixes for issues next to the official pathes that Bohemia Interacitve release every once in a while. They have a huge forum that discusses anything to do with Arma and Bohemia Interactive, I also advise you to make an account on this site.

Thats pretty much the basis of what Arma is.

yup that's what I thought, arma is not a commercial war game, it's not for everyone especially for people who play games like cod etc

I'm a fan of ghost recon, battlefield series except the last one (3) and operation flashpoint (again, except the last one, which was red river)

I spent hours and hours trying to complete missions in operation flashpoint and ghost recon, I love using tactics. if I have to travel klicks just to flank enemy positions or get in sniping positions, I can do all that. I just love freedom in games.

and @ maionaze

I have a pretty old pc lol... I will buy a new one soon

current one

E5200 2.5 2X cpu

10 dx 9500GT 512mb gpu

DDR2 2GB ram

WD 500GB hdd

installed crysis 2 just to check how my pc runs it. it runs on high / 720p resolution only with about 30-40 fps...

I'm trying arma 2 free and it doesn't lag. but I heard graphics were lowered for a2f

Hi,

If you plan on getting in to Arma2, play online and take advantage of all of it's community made addons, i recommend using the six updater software. It basically enables you to install and update addons and synchronize your various addons with the server you plan to join with just a few clicks.

It also automatically installs the CBA files which the addons are dependent on (community based add-ons). I think it also filters out addons and highlights them as being Incompatible, if they conflict with other addons you have installed. Also you can setup presets, so you can have one preset for a particular set of addons or server and others along side it.

Have Fun =)

http://six.dev-heaven.net/wagn/Six_Updater

Edited by freeman83