Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Autorotation training: you've got to be kidding

I see huge improvements to the a.r. training in 1.02! It's almost as if they took some of my posts to mind! ;)

"That'll do just fine. I'll take back control of the chopper." YEAH!

Great work, BIS! :)

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

so i've made two videos in game demonstrating the autorotation to a general area. the first video is still uploading but the second one where i do an 180 autorotation is ready.

Well done, man! Nice landing, and nice video.

the best autorotation speed in a md500d is 80knots in the game the "light" have similar behavior, you even need push up the collective a bit to avoid over speed the rotor

Edited by heli_flying

the best autorotation speed in a md500d is 80knots in the game the "light" have similar behavior, you even need push up the collective a bit to avoid over speed the rotor

is that what an md500d POH recommends? i just use a general airspeed.

yes is the maximum glide speed in a md500d, this speed in almost all helicopters is the best to do auto rotations just try it ;)

there is a mission that needs to autorotate the heavy model . before the game does the autosave to prepare the engine failure , iwas at 300 km/h and 90m height .. crashed like 20 times but at the end i made it :P lol . love this game

i noticed with the heavy model you can't shut down the engines completely, you can only go to idle or your helo will just stop responding and roll to the right and drop like a rock. with the engine idle you can actually just perform a normal landing.

Well my heavy heli was falling like a rock exactly as md500 said and i was going down like 7 Meters per SEC that is like 25km/h or something ( i was sure that the heli will be destroyed again) but i landed successfully . is that normal ? cause i was falling pretty fast.

well as i told u before i was in the middle of the carreer mission with the heavy and it perform an engine failure by itself so the first thing i did is to put the throttle off and pull up cause i was 90 meters high with 300km/h.

i crashed many times but i dont know exactly if there was a difference between full throtle idle and off . tried about 20/25 times before success landing . worst scenario ever ...

You have to push down your collective. Turn you throttle to IDLE and... See what happend ;)

Try to descend at 5m/s and 60-80knot.. Flare.. Up collective to do a "soft" landing while pushing the nose down.

Yeah, I have to agree that this is a very difficult exercise in the game. The odd thing for me was that I passed the "checkerboard" part of it on the first try, but the following segment, where you have to autorotate down to the airport, that took more practice.

The first few times I tried it, the helicopter would drop at an extremely high rate of speed and I couldn't understand how I was supposed to "glide" to the landing point with the collective full down. After about a dozen attempts, I got it just right and I was able to glide down and land it just fine. But now that I passed it once, I'll admit that I haven't gone back and tried it again. lol :p

well as i told u before i was in the middle of the carreer mission with the heavy and it perform an engine failure by itself so the first thing i did is to put the throttle off and pull up cause i was 90 meters high with 300km/h.

i crashed many times but i dont know exactly if there was a difference between full throtle idle and off . tried about 20/25 times before success landing . worst scenario ever ...

The difference between idle throttle and full throttle is that when its idle ingame the engine is still supplying you with quite a bit of power so that you get a lot more lift which isn't modeled right. You might as well perform a normal landing with throttle idle, whereas if you turn it to off it feels more like a real engine failure/autorotation with increased sink rate and when you pull some colletive you don't fly straight and level.

just to make sure I understand correctly, the main roter RPM in idle should be much lower then that of the required min. RPM in autorotation right?

just to make sure I understand correctly, the main roter RPM in idle should be much lower then that of the required min. RPM in autorotation right?

it's not so much the rotor rpm as it is the engine rpm, rotor rpm is just how fast your rotors are spinning which pretty much stays at a constant during the entire flight. even during engine failure the rotor rpm is kept in the green arc as a standard configuration with the manipulation of the collective. higher collective=lower rotor rpm. the reason why rotor rpm is not affect when there's an engine failure is due to a device called the freewheeling unit, but you'll still loose your rotor rpm if you don't lower the collective immediately when engine failure occurs. i know in the r22, r44 the free wheeling unit is located on the top bearing of the v belt. that freewheeling unit disengages the engine from the rotor so that the upward flow of air would keep the rotor blades turning when in an autorotation.

anyway i seem to be babbling, so when you roll the throttle to idle the engine is still running. in this game it seems to still provide quite a a bit of power to the rotors for the auto which doesn't feel right. for example after the autorotation and i've touched down i can pull the collective up with my throttle set to idle and i can hover a couple of feet above ground which is totally bogus.

the medium helicopter have 2 couples of engine rpm gauges that's fine in the way to improve the safety, but just a little mistake... :confused:where is the main rotor rpm gauge??? :confused: try to shut down both engines in flight and see there is 2 "main" rotor needles going down to zero but your still alive(first push down the collective) and the helicopter is with total control the only reference to the main rotor rpms is the vibration in my force feedback joystick :(

So how is it looking vs. the CP?

Have been away working then came back to lovely slow 11k mobile modem speeds :(, but have broadband back now :yay: and am download from steam. :bounce3:

Any tips on autorotating using Nightstalkers FM? I find it best to maintain about 75- 80 knots on glide and to start a flare at about 50 feet. Also I glide with cyclic full- down. Too bad the heli rolls- over if speed is not close to 0...

Edited by SamB

It is somewhat nightmarish for me to consider having to re-learn autorotation with a new FM! :eek: :(

i haven't played the game in awhile, i'll download nightstalker's fm and play around with it and i'll upload a video when i've figured it out.

so i've briefly tried nightstalker's fm and autorotation is actually a bit easier because you can level the helicopter without so much lateral cyclic input. just follow my youtube channel for autorotation. search for md500enthusiast on youtube.

Edited by MD500Enthusiast

I can not pass the final mission of training (autorotation and landing). Tried 78 times and never succeeded. Help! I do everything the instructor says, but it does not work.

Well guys I had found a way back then on how to accomplish this autorotation tutorials very easy but it was not the most noble way after all.

Extreme caution before reading the rest since it might ruin your gameplay in a way. Just saying...

You see when you are in the air and the tutorial starts what happens is that the instructor turns the throttle to idle. At first it seems that you can not reverse such a thing but you surely can. To be more specific I will report that you can not change the throttle by mouse since it is blocked but you can via your keyboard. After that the throttle is back to full and it is just like flying a normal helicopter something which is extremely easy after all.

As simple as that.:cool: