Sign in to follow this  
thetrooper

ARMA3 on Mac?

I noticed in the requirements that the current requirements for Arma3 are Windows7/Vista. That's great because I run windows at the moment, however like many people I really want to make the jump away from Microsoft to Apple! In fact ArmaII has been the main reason why I haven't made the jump yet. What are the complications for Arma3 running on Mac?

ArmA will run on a Mac, all it needs is Bootcamp and Windows so it can plug into the DirectX API ;)

hmm, I'll look into it. Sounds like going against the main objective of getting away from Windows/Microsoft though.

The main issue would pe the computing power. most macs are poorly equipped for gaming in the DX world (poor GFXs or integrated). Unless you own a Mac Pro where the price and components are on par with the windows ones (minus the very few options for the gfx cards - which are average and a lot more expensive just for running a different type of bios), you shouldn't even consider a mac for games, even via bootcamp.

If you want a gaming PC, Apple is the very wrong and expensive way to go

Unless you are a very very rich person who can afford to pay thousands of dollars for over priced hardware, and buy another one every couple of years, Apple is the absolute worst way to go for gaming.

Unless you own a Mac Pro where the price and components are on par with the windows ones (minus the very few options for the gfx cards - which are average and a lot more expensive just for running a different type of bios), you shouldn't even consider a mac for games, even via bootcamp.

Actually if it's on par with a windows computer for price, expect it to be much crappier. An equal mac will cost thousands of dollars more.

Every time a Mac is mentioned the thread immediately fills up with the same tired old crap. Would be great to see one, just one, thread where a Mac is mentioned and the question is simply answered in a concise, informative way. There are many reasons to own a Mac, but I cannot see many reasons for knee-jerk trashing every time one is mentioned. We know some people don't like 'em.

Every time a Mac is mentioned the thread immediately fills up with the same tired old crap. Would be great to see one, just one, thread where a Mac is mentioned and the question is simply answered in a concise, informative way. There are many reasons to own a Mac, but I cannot see many reasons for knee-jerk trashing every time one is mentioned. We know some people don't like 'em.

Most of the comments against mac are coming from ppl who have never had any experience with them.

True, from the perspective of a guy who only plays on a PC, and nothing more, i wouldn't expect anything different.

Actually if it's on par with a windows computer for price, expect it to be much crappier. An equal mac will cost thousands of dollars more.

Wrong. Read my reply again, i was talking about mac pro. If you compare prices for a dual CPU workstation from whoever with Apples, you'll see things are on par (belive me, i know because i was close to getting a 12core/24 threads Mac Pro not that long ago).

gee...

like... I always thought that only rich, mentally stunted people and valley girls used a mac.

like... i guess i was wrong... totally far out! ...fer sure!

Edited by coder4crack

Why not just bootcamp windows xp, vista, or 7?

like... I always thought that only rich, mentally stunted people and valley girls used a mac.

If I recall, I remember seeing an image where BIS had a Mac.

Edited by Haystack15

Wrong. Read my reply again, i was talking about mac pro. If you compare prices for a dual CPU workstation from whoever with Apples, you'll see things are on par (belive me, i know because i was close to getting a 12core/24 threads Mac Pro not that long ago).

This pretty much explains it http://i44.tinypic.com/vh9ok1.png

If I recall, I remember seeing an image where BIS had a Mac.

bigmac.jpg

I know that a Mac can run Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 maxed out now (yes actual Mac versions). They have dedicted Mobility Radeon graphics and i7 processors now. All BI Studios needs to do is develop an X-Code port for Snow Loepard. I to so desperatley want to make the jump into virus free paradise as well. In fact I am getting a new iPhone 4S very soon with the Magpul case! Then I'm getting my 15" MBPro.

It would be so damn cool to use an iMac 27" LED Cinema display in triplicate. Just imagine an APP for the iTouch and iPhone that allows you to link your portable divice to simulate BORS or the Ballistic calculator the CheyTAC M200 LRSS uses instead of PU and PD. The possibilities would be endless and not limited to sniper missions. You could actually use your iPhone or iTouch and your RADIO system for using different channles, boosting gain, squelch, simulate freqency problems and what not. All's ya bee need'n is someheadphones with a mic. I hope this game is 3D too!

Edited by SPEKTRE76

I know that a Mac can run Modern Warfare and Modern Warfare 2 maxed out now (yes actual Mac versions). They have dedicted Mobility Radeon graphics and i7 processors now.

You are talking about 2 console ports that i can run on my old laptop as well, although A2 is running about 2fps.

Most Macs hardware is NOT design for games. Their dedicated gfx cards are average at best.

@Haystack: that might not be all that far fetched. For content creation, maya and modo (both used by BIS for content creation) works really great in OSX environment

I think a MAC might be something great for people who look for a relatively secure and easy to use workstation. But If you want a gaming rig, then a PC is the better choice. You can save much money if you build one yourself and you can upgrade it

Well, one could have both if Apple opened their market for the GPU developers and their vendors to produce OSX drivers for all the gfx cards available to Windows users... but that's clearly not the scope of this thread or forum.

Well, one could have both if Apple opened their market for the GPU developers and their vendors to produce OSX drivers for all the gfx cards available to Windows users... but that's clearly not the scope of this thread or forum.

I reckon it's the main reason there is even a Mac/PC divide - PCs are many & varied, while Macs are a standard. You can say what you like, but quite obviously people are prepared to pay for a standard that simply works. Think of it as the difference between ArmA and VBS :)

Have you seen the prices for graphic card upgrades for the mac? You're talking about extremely over priced cards with average performance. I stick to my original comment on this thread...

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127490

verse this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/6615718/

I chose the most expensive 5770 that newegg had btw...

you can have a normal video card just as well. Just need tinkering with it.