Sign in to follow this  
moriah888

New to this...O my good god! :)

I must say i didn't get it :confused:

Oh come on really :( and I tried so hard

Oh come on really :( and I tried so hard

Don't worry. I laughed... a bit. It was less a flame more a damp cloth.

Oh and I had so high hopes in you forum. OK for the sake of not leaving the thing unexplained.

He said that it's refreshing to not get flamed for beeing a noob and that the BIS forum community is helpful.

I then proceeded to take a crack at the hostility that a "n00b" recieves on other gaming forums by formulating a well written insult that basicaly translates to :

OMG! You should kill yourself you gay n00b!

An insult that was not directed towards him , but towards the status quo in todays gaming forum interaction between the said "n00b" user category and the percieved upper class "veteran's".

Ergo, indubitably, vis-a-vis... You digg :cool: ?

LOL! I got it the first time -tho this type of humor is often lost over da netz -speaking from lots of 1st hand :p

Remember this game is great, but now and then you will have very annoying moments. I think its universally agreed that the general feeling of a new comer is as follows

(explained with smilies)

:D :confused: :eek: :mad: :rolleyes: :) :D

Its a patten that has a tendency to repeat itself over and over lol but stick with it, Arma is more of a hobby than a game haha!

Edited by SteveJA360

Remember this game is great, but now and then you will have very annoying moments. I think its universally agreed that the general feeling of a new comer is as follows

(explained with smilies)

Its a patten that has a tendency to repeat itself over and over lol but stick with it, Arma is more of a hobby than a game haha!

I never saw anything explaining the arma experience better than those smileys :D

I never saw anything explaining the arma experience better than those smileys :D

+9000

Spot on.

hahahahaha, that post needs a sticky somewhere in the newcomers section.

I really recommend Six Updater for handling mods etc, it will auto update, you can launch from there or save to desktop and launch from there. Other launchers are available but I have no experience with them only SU, I am not at all up to speed with mod handling and found that I learnt through updater how it all works.

Some mod’s will conflict with others, ai mod’s cross over quite a lot but part of the enjoyment is finding the best combination of mods, once you test out mod’s you will understand what I mean, for instance I have three ai mods included in the mod sequence below, these seem to work well together in the order shown (but test), however they may change the game for you if you decide to have them in different orders , you will see for the ai mods I use ‘SLX’ first followed by ‘ASR_ai’ then GL4 (note SLX is now better known as COSLX as its been updated, but will still list as SLX).

I always put game changing mods at the beginning i.e. AI, Effects, Clutter reduction & Movement, the other mods like armies, islands, vehicles, etc come after, but don’t take this as a template, it just works for me because it makes the game play the way I like it to play, mixed around and you can get a slightly different game play experience, test is the best way and indeed very enjoyable. When I say test, I put each test into a mini mission i.e. quick insertion type missions, or small patrol skirmish missions, these will give you a good idea of how your mod’s are working and they don’t last too long, as its only a test but fun at the same time.

Below is one of my running orders, just to give you an idea not for you to copy as you will want and need to test for the best game-play suited to you, but its all there for any type of military mission..

There’s around 110 mods here in one of the load orders I have, great thing about SU is you can have several 'Presets' so testing is easy..

Starting: c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma 2\expansion\beta\arma2oa.exe

echo From: c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma 2

echo With params: -nosplash -nofilepatching "-name=Chris B" "-mod=expansion\beta;expansion\beta\expansion;@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_USNavy;@ACEX_RU;@ACEX_SM;@ACEX_PLA;@SLX;@ASR_AI;@GL4;@dvd;@WarFXParticles;@LandTex;@sap_clutter;@JTD;@stmovement;@SMK;@bb_oa_mercs;@WinterCamos;@aaw_oa;@SWM_weap;@FFAA_Terroristas;@BWMod;@BWMod_ACE;@JSDFMOD;@JSDFMod_ACE;@Lingor_units;@opx_objects;@ags;@brg_africa;@ibr_dtowns;@ibr_plants;@pmc_terrain_obj;@MBG_Buildings2;@beton;@Lingor;@plr_mana;@ibr_rn;@panthera;@japahto;@Tropica;@NGS_Capraia;@LoloNaia;@isla_duala;@AfghanValley;@EtahPlateau;@FRAN_quesh_kibrul;@FRAN_sbrodj;@Kulima;@MBG_Celle;@MBG_Nam;@MBG_kellu;@SIX_SHL;@SIX_WTK;@six_aiaktalik;@Thirsk;@ToraBora;@bet_huertgen;@brik2;@chimalpopoca;@cicada;@faffindale;@namalsk;@nicosia;@ovaron;@pmc_51km_desert;@pmc_rattler;@pmc_rugen;@sangin;@sap_everon;@vostok;@FDF_Podagorsk;@TRFS_MSV;@tigeria_units;@blakes_carrier_ops;@RSLO;@blakes_mirrors;@MBG_KillHouses;@MBG_CinderCity;@tasmania;@blakes_ai_fo;@mbg_caterpillar;@rhs_decals;@rhs_btr70;@rhs_heavyweapons;@rhs_t80;@HEXAgon;@rhs_bmd2;@Faysh_Khabur;@vilas_wwp;@tigeria;@j198_ftb;@rkt_coaler;@gnt_frigates;@rh_pdw;@taviana_objects;@taviana;@ad_helos;@bb_mercs;@fallujah;@AMT;@SFP_Lite_ACE;@RKSL;@SpritzIsland;@PRACS;@FDF_Mod;@rhs_cargosystem;@ElephantIsland"

cd /D "c:\program files\bohemia interactive\arma 2"

Note: some mods are Operation Arrowhead some A2, combined ops is when you have the full pack, so this order may not run if you only have Arma2.. & don't copy and paste this as there may be incorrect gaps as I have only quickly copy and pasted this to show you..

Anyway hope it helps..

I class 'CBA', 'ACE' & all the 'ACEX' mods as 'must have' mod's, so load from the end of these mods..

Getting me confused now:butbut:

Just wondering.. why don't you just consolidate your vehicles, units, and addons into 3 folders named @islands, @units, and @vehicles. Saves some time..

Hi guys,

My only major gripe with the game is the performance. I can run the most technically advanced and demanding game engine on the planet (ID Tech 5) at a steady 60fps but I'm getting appalling performance with ARMA 2 / COA.

I appreciate that there is a lot of AI calculations going on but the engine does look to be very outdated / poor / unoptimised and I see I'm far from alone. I would say it would be impossible to even consider online play at the moment.

I've tried numerous tweaks with little success. It's unfortunate that I'm spending more time trying to get smooth performance and detailed graphics than actually enjoying playing :(

Just wondering.. why don't you just consolidate your vehicles, units, and addons into 3 folders named @islands, @units, and @vehicles. Saves some time..

Yes, good advice, I use the SU and you sometimes forget how many mods you actually have until a post makes you look at them...

Hi guys,

My only major gripe with the game is the performance. I can run the most technically advanced and demanding game engine on the planet (ID Tech 5) at a steady 60fps but I'm getting appalling performance with ARMA 2 / COA.

I appreciate that there is a lot of AI calculations going on but the engine does look to be very outdated / poor / unoptimised and I see I'm far from alone. I would say it would be impossible to even consider online play at the moment.

I've tried numerous tweaks with little success. It's unfortunate that I'm spending more time trying to get smooth performance and detailed graphics than actually enjoying playing :(

Did you try the Betas?

The RV engine is about finding compromises that you're happy with.

If you love having a whole load of mods running, please remember that running such scripts will eat performance. But, mods are awesome, so it's up to you.

If you love having monstrous view distance, please remember that terrain and objects will eat CPU and HDD performance. But seeing 10k is awesome, so it's up to you.

If you cannae abide jaggies, and you spam your AA up to max, be aware it's going to cost you, and it's only going to get worse with the more of the above mentioned you have running! But having MOAARRR is awesome, and the PC platform and our engine mean that... it's up to you.

I created a short video options guide here, which we'll migrate to wiki soon, and (although designed for Take On Helicopters) may help you decode the mysteries.

Hmm... wonder where you are now...?

;)

Best,

RiE

:rolleyes: :) :D

;)

Best,

RiE

Steve is now currently at....

:D :confused: :eek: :mad: :hang:

Well I know I’m 5th from left, still finding out things that were right in front of my eyes but couldn’t see, that’s Arma2 for you, get wrapped up in the in-depth stuff and forget the easy bits just staring at you..

Ive taken time out from Arma2 at the moment, my current status is:

:ftvsmilie1:

My love is always there, the joy comes and goes. I've spent more time setting up missions than playing lately, frustration causes early exits.

Hi guys,

ID Tech 5 is a console engine made for 7 years old hardware plus it's used in a corridor game made for that same 7 years old hardware.

Also I don't see anything technologically advanced in it. Corridors with bumpmapping aren't anything new.

ArmA2 CO renders much more visual detail than a corridor with 3 bots, muddy textures and 200m visibility not mentioning all kinds of complex calculations going under the hood and huge maps.

Edited by metalcraze

ID Tech 5 is a console engine made for 7 years old hardware plus it's used in a corridor game made for that same 7 years old hardware.

Also I don't see anything technologically advanced in it. Corridors with bumpmapping aren't anything new.

ArmA2 CO renders much more visual detail than a corridor with 3 bots, muddy textures and 200m visibility not mentioning all kinds of complex calculations going under the hood and huge maps.

You need to read up some more m8.

Tech5 is the most advanced engine ever in the history of gaming. Play Rage (not a great game tbh) - and you wont see ONE join line or ONE repeating texture ANYWHERE.

Its not a same-old approach where a bunch of textures are plonked on top of wire mesh at design time. The levels are painted freehand so no single pixel in a gameworld has to look the same EVER.

The original textures for Rage are 1 TERRABYTE. When the hardware catches up we can use the uncompressed textures and see a world in gaming that approaches Avatar. John Carmack has already said that the early builds of Doom 4 look 3 times better than Rage and are 3 times as optimised.

7 year old hardware? I think not. Also to get the same technology to play at a rock steady 60 fps across PS3 / 360 and PC is nothing short of stunning. Arma 2 may have a lot of AI routines going on...but in terms of graphics engine its light years behind in every department.

Right now the games industry has looked up from their attempts at designing the wheel only to see a space shuttle come in for landing.

Seriously m8 go and research the engine so that you'll have an informed and accurate opinion.

Edited by moriah888

Tech5 is the most advanced engine ever in the history of gaming. Play Rage (not a great game tbh) - and you wont see ONE join line or ONE repeating texture ANYWHERE.

Its not a same-old approach where a bunch of textures are plonked on top of wire mesh at design time. The levels are painted freehand so no single pixel in a gameworld has to look the same EVER.

The original textures for Rage are 1 TERRABYTE. When the hardware catches up we can use the uncompressed textures and see a world in gaming that approaches Avatar. John Carmack has already said that the early builds of Doom 4 look 3 times better than Rage and are 3 times as optimised.

7 year old hardware? I think not. Also to get the same technology to play at a rock steady 60 fps across PS3 / 360 and PC is nothing short of stunning. Arma 2 may have a lot of AI routines going on...but in terms of graphics engine its light years behind in every department.

Right now the games industry has looked up from their attempts at designing the wheel only to see a space shuttle come in for landing.

Seriously m8 go and research the engine so that you'll have an informed and accurate opinion.

There's no denying that ID tech 5 is pretty advanced, nor that the RV3 engine is showing its age, but unfortunately for you Arma2 does not use ID tech 5.

So if you are interested in optimizing your settings for the best game experience, you may want to start by posting your hardware specs and current in-game settings instead of preaching the greatness of an entirely different game engine. ;)

There's no denying that ID tech 5 is pretty advanced, nor that the RV3 engine is showing its age, but unfortunately for you Arma2 does not use ID tech 5.

So if you are interested in optimizing your settings for the best game experience, you may want to start by posting your hardware specs and current in-game settings instead of preaching the greatness of an entirely different game engine. ;)

Im not preaching at all. I mentioned half a line in my thread earlier just saying that this engine runs like a dream. The other poster made a big deal out of it and so I responded with some facts.

Chill out.

I have been an Arma fan for ever but its first now that I only use first person view 100%.

Its amazing that I after so many years started to play like this.

I usually play 50% first person view and 50 % third view but now I realise that playing first person gives the game more realism and more enjoyment.

Id Tech 4 could do the same 6 years ago. Except the price is that instead of crisp textures we get mud in Rage. Who cares if there are no repeating textures when at times they make your eyes bleed?

That's what comes to textures.

idTech5 has no day/night cycles, unlike RV.

idTech5 has no weather simulation, unlike RV.

idTech5 has no AI, unlike RV.

idTech5 is unable to render vast open areas with huge visibility, unlike RV.

idTech5 has no ballistics for weapons, unlike RV.

idTech5 has no advanced damage models for characters - it's extremely outdated head/body concept, unlike RV

idTech5 does not have memory for dead bodies, broken trees and anything dropped on the ground, it "forgets", unlike RV.

idTech5 can not support huge amount of players and AI in MP, unlike RV.

That's for starters - so already idTech5 is much less advanced than RV.

I think you should stop reading advertisements and PR and focus more on reality.

7 year old hardware? I think not. Also to get the same technology to play at a rock steady 60 fps across PS3 / 360 and PC is nothing short of stunning.

PS3 and X360 have 7 years old hardware. Rage isn't a first multiplatform game either and it has nothing special visually and technically. In fact it looks like a muddy crap.

Compare Chernarus to empty low detailed corridors with muddy textures and without any foliage in Rage.

http://i42.tinypic.com/15pn7f4.jpg <- superawesome nextgen graphics?

http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/cc379/comradekraze/ArmA%20II/arma2oa_chernarus_05.jpg <- outdated crap?

Maybe you should do that instead of reading advertisements in IGN and Gamespot?

Carmack and idTech are forever stuck in mid-90s with its corridors and 3-4 bots per corridor that can only stand there waiting for the bullet.

Edited by metalcraze