Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

This is what happens when your Gfx card doesn't meet requirements.

... Post processing is off, clouds are very low (Got a lot of FPS from that, wierd)...

Not weird at all, as they're using Simul Weather, which in turn uses volumetric clouds. Volumetric clouds are notorious performance killers (if you remember the very begining of Crysis when you paradrop out of the airplane).

If you are experiencing crashes, report them properly and they can solve them; http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cis/wiki/CIT#How-to-report-a-crash

Otherwise, it's no rocket science that if you have horrible performance that many things don't work as they are intended, and that you will have difficulty flying properly.

GTX 260? What about an AMD 6950 or 6870?

Take away the "hate ATI/nvidia" factor, GTX260 was a good card for the buck on the nvidia side.

Edited by 4 IN 1

Take away the "hate ATI/nvidia" thing, GTX260 was a good card for the buck on the nvidia side.
Hate ATI/nvidia thing is something you just made up.

I simply believe 6950 (often easily flashable to 6970!) / 6870 give you most bang for your buck at this moment in time, that's all.

I don't care if it's Nvidia or AMD..

Though I must admit that I have had more issues with running the ARMA engine based games with Nvidia cards, like 8800 GTX and GTX 280. If that were issues with my system or not, who knows..

Edited by Sickboy

It had something to do with 260/280/295 (aka 260x2) chip architecture (they are the same chip basically). Driver crashes (that black screen issue) happen once in a while and they are not exclusive to ArmA, had them in Faces of War too.

I'd personally recommend to wait until GTX6xx cards come out to be ArmA3-proof as well (it's what I'm doing right now :> )

Edited by metalcraze

I don't have those problem, I do got some problem running ATI through, but having that said I also don't really care if it is ATI or Nvidia as well, as at the time I buy my GTX260 it is cheaper then ATI 69XX card.(I would love to see which side are better for Arma3)

Edited by 4 IN 1

Since we're discussing VideoCard related issues here, I won't bother creating a new topic.

I own a Macbook Pro 2.66 Dual 64bits, NVidia GT330M, which is my working station. I have W7 Bootcamp instalation btw. Right now I can't afford the luxury of having a dedicated gaming station pc.

I used to run ArmaII and its upgrades at medium/high settings specially when flying, so I wonder, will it run at all?

I will plug my 260 in and wait for a new high end card to come out so I will have something for A3. I love me some flying games, but I love to kill me some tangos too!

"BOOM HEADSHOT!!!!"

Thanks for the advice guys.

I would give the guy a break, simply because most real human beings are incapable of telling how powerful a graphics card is any more as all the manufacturers basically re-badged their crappy old cards for DX11 without saying "Hey, this is an old 7600 with a new number."

If we really want to help those less techy users out, someone needs to add the minimum and recommended card numbers from the NEW numbering systems.

Honestly guys, I see this all the time. Most end-users think stuff like "My NVidia card is way newer than an old 8800GT, it'll work really well"

Perhaps someone could do a link to a chart showing the lack of performance of some of these 'new' cards, particularly the 'S' versions! :)

EDIT: took so long over replying that Froggy linked one - great chart, now get someone to add that chart link to the system specs post/page and maybe some newer users will buy the right cards ;)

EDIT2: noticed that chart is already linked in the official 'Video Settings' thread, right at the bottom http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=126178

Edited by TAW_RiEvEr

Yes, indeed I am a real pilot. Not only am I a real helicopter pilot, but I am an instructor as well.

I just said "you are not", because I expected better manners and more helpful criticism from one like you :D

Nightstalker has provided some really great feedback over the last couple of months, and - like other real-world pilots - it's fantastic to have their expertise on board.

The same feeling, of course, extends to everyone who's provided feedback - no matter their expertise. While changes aren't integrated as quickly as feedback is given, they never go unheard. Helicopters are wild animals, though. :o

I understand his frustration, and continue welcome his, and other pilots input in the the Take On helicopters project. Maybe next time just RTFM. :D As we mentioned in our Ripten Interview (many thanks to Murray for asking the tough questions), it's difficult, it's not perfect, but there is potential here, and we're trying to unlock this potential to a whole range of simthusiasts, new and old. Hm, not sure that's a word. ;)

Best,

RiE

actually it's more than just the wind, it's called a wind gust. the wind might change directions rapidly. if you look at your wind sock you might be able to see that it's swinging around the poll. plus the in free flight you might have a stock helicopter where in career your helo might be fitted with specialized equipment which could cause the helicopter to fly differently.

Nightstalker has provided some really great feedback over the last couple of months, and - like other real-world pilots - it's fantastic to have their expertise on board.

The same feeling, of course, extends to everyone who's provided feedback - no matter their expertise. While changes aren't integrated as quickly as feedback is given, they never go unheard. Helicopters are wild animals, though. :o

I understand his frustration, and continue welcome his, and other pilots input in the the Take On helicopters project. Maybe next time just RTFM. :D As we mentioned in our Ripten Interview (many thanks to Murray for asking the tough questions), it's difficult, it's not perfect, but there is potential here, and we're trying to unlock this potential to a whole range of simthusiasts, new and old. Hm, not sure that's a word. ;)

Best,

RiE

I was definitely in bad form when I posted that. It was at the end of a hairraising week rigging flight controls an a Chinook helicopter. I haven't gotten to fly a real helo in weeks (no students at the moment). It took 4 hours to download TOH from Sprocket. My internet has been on the fritz and I had the Comcast guy out for the 3rd time in as many months. So when I fired the game up and it pooped I was a little pissed. I probably should have taken a cold shower before posting.

I will try and be more professional from here on out.

My GTX 260 will run the game, barely. No crashes yet, but my fan spools up so fast I worry my computer will explode! I need a new card. I may sneak out tomorrow and pick one up while the wife is out.

My impression so far is as follows:

I have only tried the light helo in free flight. In expert mode, with everything mapped except throttle, I feel like the helicopter wants to float. Full down collective and the helicopter settles at a very very reduced rate from the real thing. Lowering the collective in a real helo gives you a descent rate of 1500-2000 FPM. I am getting maybe 500 FPM in TOH. Also, the stability dynamics seem backwards. By this I mean that, a helicopter fuselage dangles from the rotor system, which is supporting it as it is the part that is actually flying. So imagine holding a pendulum from your hand. As you move your hand, the pendulum responds, this is the kind of motion that should be depicted in a hover. It seems opposite to me, more like trying to balance a pencil on your hand. It wants to fall over, whereas a pendulum wants to dangle directly below you and is trying to find its equilibrium. When you tilt the rotor disk in a helicopter in a hover, you slide in that direction, not roll over, because the airframe wants to stay DOWN. In order to roll the helicopter over, you need a pivot point, like a skid touching the ground, or a rock or a grass patch. It needs to GRAB something in order to give it that rolling moment. You cant just roll the heli over by applying lateral cyclic in the hover, you will just take off in whatever direction you pointed the cyclic until you correct it, or hit something. Not to say it WOULDN'T roll over if you completely rediculously overcontrolled the thing. But it doesn't inherrently WANT to do that.

WHEW! I hope that makes sense.

Regarding the throttle.... I have a full helicopter control set with a twist grip throttle on the collective. Is there any way you could assign an analogue setting for those of us that have the hardware to simulate a roll on/off throttle? This also may be helpful to people who have a HOTAS joystick. Being able to control the throttle is key to starting, shutting down, simulating power failures and dealing with things like governor failures (manually controlling the throttle setting for a given pitch setting). This would definitely make the pilot types happy.

Thanks for being patient with me.

Scott

Regarding the throttle.... I have a full helicopter control set with a twist grip throttle on the collective. Is there any way you could assign an analogue setting for those of us that have the hardware to simulate a roll on/off throttle? This also may be helpful to people who have a HOTAS joystick. Being able to control the throttle is key to starting, shutting down, simulating power failures and dealing with things like governor failures (manually controlling the throttle setting for a given pitch setting). This would definitely make the pilot types happy.

I would like to have a working analog throttle too for flexibility and realism.

Rigging cable will result in whoever doing the job start swearing it seems, I know I would:p

Back on topic, Yes a direct control over throttle would be a good addiction, but I don't seems to find any thorttle control on market that are specially design for rotary, is your rig custom built?

Rigging cable will result in whoever doing the job start swearing it seems, I know I would:p

Back on topic, Yes a direct control over throttle would be a good addiction, but I don't seems to find any thorttle control on market that are specially design for rotary, is your rig custom built?

There are several available. This is what I have. http://rainman.tv/index_files/rainman_helisim.htm

There are also several other commercial manufacturers avialable. This stuff is pricey, and I wouldn't recommend it just for TOH. This is hardcore simmer stuff here. I use mine for training with X-plane (hardcore realistic flight dynamics), but it works for TOH too.

An analogue throttle setting could also be mapped to buttons on the joystick. We just need the ability to roll it on and off. I HATE having to look down at the throttle and use my mouse to bring it from full to idle, etc. In the real thing, I just twist my wrist. Buttons on a joystick, throttle quadrant for HOTAS sticks, and setups like mine would all benefit from having an analogue throttle setting. I don't think it would be very hard to implement. And those that don't want to use it don't have to!

I HATE having to look down at the throttle and use my mouse to bring it from full to idle, etc.

I perfectly understand and agree with you about analog throttle, it should be there! But you don't have to use your mouse to change throttle setting. I have two buttons on my joystick mapped to do that. One for throttle up and second for throttle down. So if I want to shut down engine I just push second button twice.

Guys, there are keybinds that will make changing throttle easier:

Rctrl+insert = throttle increase

Rctrl+delete = throttle decrease

and others binds for engines 2 and 3. Check your controls. Hope that helps.

I am now using Number pad + right ctrl to do all 3 engines starter and throttle control, make sense as well because the 3x3 are very natural to use.

Yeah, on my Logitech Extreme I have the starter 1 / 2 and throttle 1 / 2 bound to the six buttons right next to collective. Feels more like the real thing. :)

@nightsta1ker: What are the button and the coolie hat on the stick of the real-life MD500 (or any civil helicopter for that matter) for? Trimming?

Edited by fboes

Yeah, on my Logitech Extreme I have the starter 1 / 2 and throttle 1 / 2 bound to the six buttons right next to collective. Feels more like the real thing. :)

@nightsta1ker: What are the button and the coolie hat on the stick of the real-life MD500 (or any civil helicopter for that matter) for? Trimming?

The coolie hat on top is cyclic trim. The trigger is a two step mike key, first step is intercom, second step is transmit. Other bottoms and switches commonly found are usually tied to radio freq changers, hook releases etc.

Edited by nightsta1ker

Thanks for the info. So I still have some tweaking to do with my controls. :)