Sign in to follow this  
Daio

Origin fail ...... best promotion for arma 3?

Compared to BC2 or BF1942/BF2/2142?

The flags on the large maps are all clustered together like Rush.

Smaller maps or just more flags?

Pfffrt, people complain when you have to "run 10 mins to get to the action", people complain when "i spawn in the middle of a fire fight and die".

Cant please them all...

At the end of the day if you want to play a game thats pretty much an interactive epic movie then COD and BF3 are your games.

Honestly, i think MGS and Uncharted take the title here. CoD and BF3 are hardly "movie" quality.

Smaller maps or just more flags?

I haven't played it but I've been reading the maps are generaly as large as BF2 and the same number of flags but there are clustered very close together.

Hello all

Well, I don't think the origin Eula issues will stop many (ie a large percentage of potential buyers) purchasing the game or indeed having a major impact on A3 sales.

I know I couldnt care less if they salvaged some useless crap info from my computer in case I bought Bf3.

Have the people concerned about the EULA on Origin bothered to read the ones

for other apps they have installed?

I'm betting most of them are very similar, the only difference is everyone is paying attention to it because it's EA and a new game release.

Have the people concerned about the EULA on Origin bothered to read the ones for other apps they have installed?

Exactly. I don't even read them... I have from Autocad to Photoshop and everything in between installed on my systems, I need them, so I click 'I agree'

Maybe the reason we are gettin more OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp is that ArmA's AI cant really simulate a combat on a lets say even platoon level!

What I mean is:

If we have a platoon on the field (lets say 3 infantry squads,1 weapon squad,HQ) some things became really obvious, like:

-No chain of command

-HQs are just guys with guns and a high rank

-Each squad is on its own and doesnt really reads the situation(ie: enemy contact->go danger->attack without evaluating the situation and enemy forces)

Squads are supposed to be connected togheter and work towards the same objective, having them lying around and doing whatever they feel like doing makes it hard to simulate something bigger than squad level operation.

So maybe, since the squad is the biggest coordinated entity we can have on the field(without scripting or High command?) having this OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp esulating from any chain of command is what would make more sense?

Anyway, I have to say I never really used the High Command feature in my missions so, I ask you: would it be able to simulate something like this?

Yes!!!!! . . . with High command you can simulate somthing like this.

I've just been reading the amazon.de user reviews page.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Famzn.to%2Fu2yTQL

I have to say it's a cracker!

It's making me grin from ear to ear.

Maybe I won't be buying this game after all.

Or maybe I can buy it for a friend and just play it on his computer!

Hahahaha.

Since Origin is a Trojan/Virus how can I verify I got rid of it?

Uninstalled and threw the DVD out the balcony but will I need to reinstall all 5 computers in my household?

Fuck I hate this kinda shit.

Maybe I should get avast! to trigger on Origin install :)

Next time the kids wants something from EA I'll just throw $50 out the door and tell them to go out play cowboys and indians.

I am quite optimistic that Bohemia got new fans during the uproar against Battlefield. Why?

Because there are a lot people, mostly over 25 years old, who are annoyed by fast pace run n' shoot, but like Arma2/AO for the possibility of stratetic long term planning/"programming" with editor and scripts. This sounds more serious to many.

Second, the privacy invasion of Origin is deemed to be illegal, which makes even more clear that it's not a serious company.

I personally do like the graphics of BF3 but I don't like the extreme amount of "head up display" - information which makes me feel like in an 1-Euro-per-game-arcade shooter. I don't like crosshairs etc.

I don't like the multimillion dollar marketing of EA, makes me very suspicious for good reasons.

On the other hand Bohemia acts like a newbie in terms of Marketing: Even though I play BIS games since 2001 I couldn't spontaneously answer whether you need Arma2 or only OA to enjoy online multiplayer gaming at the moment .... lost in diversion.

And though I like missions, mods, addons, new islands a lot ... at the moment it is quite (in marketing terms: "much too!") difficult for a newbie to find an agreeable choice of online missions / servers.

which makes even more clear that it's not a serious company.

Apart from the little bit where they turn over more profit in a month than BIS does in a year :j:

I personally do like the graphics of BF3 but I don't like the extreme amount of "head up display" - information which makes me feel like in an 1-Euro-per-game-arcade shooter. I don't like crosshairs etc.

And "Hardcore" mode switches it all off...

The origin thing is unfortunate, but with ~5 million active users at any one time, its hardly going to be the death of the BF series.

Given the lack of advertising for ArmA compared to BF, I hardly see how the usual nerdrage (anyone remember the "boycott MW2" steam groups? 40,000+ members for most of them, and after the release, a good 80% of every group: "currently ingame: CoD: MW2") which often goes along with actually buying and playing the game is suddenly going to make A3 a multi-million seller.

Sad, but true...

Is true that many people at least took a glimpse at Arma after BF3 turned out to be a quite fast paced shooter.

I dont know how many of them will enjoy the game and stay with it.

But I know one Thing for sure: If Arma 3 turns out to be a good and interesting game, without the usual bugfest at release, then many people will buy it! There are many players who enjoy good Coop with big Maps, vehicels and realism.

Problem is that many of them don´t know that Arma would be the perfect game for them.

BTW there are many people complaining that you can go prone now. They are upset that some hidden prone sniper kills them if they rush blindly to the enemy lines, calling people that take up defensive positions and go prone campers. Isn´t a sniper a camper per definition? Now I know why I like Arma....

Is true that many people at least took a glimpse at Arma after BF3 turned out to be a quite fast paced shooter.

What la-la-land are you living in?

BF was ALWAYS going to be a "fast paced" shooter, always has been, always will be.

As for proof of "many people looking at arma", I dont see that many new forum joins or community peoples, what evidence are you basing this on? Or is it just wild speculation?

Hi. IMHO if BIS added Domination, Capture the Flag, Search & Destroy (aka Counter-Strike style), Team Deathmatch, ... as built-in multiplayer modes + _maps_ (arenas?) designed for such modes + some official public servers many of CoD/BF3 kids would find ARMA3 more interesting (including me). There is a big potential for it and the realistic nature of ARMA doesn't change that. While my colleagues at work like BF3 they're disappointed by flashy UI (eg. fireworks on screen for every bullshit), WoW-like leveling and idiot Xbox mini-games (tap spacebar quickly). As old-school gamers we fail to understand how can someone appreciate such idiocy (it is _killing_ omfg!). BIS know how to do these things properly. One bullet to kill doesn't take away good gameplay. There is a _huge_ amount (majority?) of non-empty _hardcore_ CoD:MW servers.

EDIT: I can imagine playing de_dust2 in ARMA3 ;). By CTF I mean some mid-scale CTF like in UT2004 (with vehicles of course).

EDIT2: I'm not trying to say "zomg plz BIS make arma3 more accessible like BF3", but rather keep it like BIS & community like it and add those PvP mods/arenas.

Edited by batto

What la-la-land are you living in?

BF was ALWAYS going to be a "fast paced" shooter, always has been, always will be.

As for proof of "many people looking at arma", I dont see that many new forum joins or community peoples, what evidence are you basing this on? Or is it just wild speculation?

Ok I didn´t really choose the appropriate words. I meant to say that it turned even more into a run and gun game where you don´t really have to think about tactics at all, in comparison to BF2.

People looking at Arma is something that affects the german community since many people feel offended by Origin and look for an alternative

Hi. IMHO if BIS added Domination

please no...

Capture the Flag, Search & Destroy (aka Counter-Strike style), Team Deathmatch, ... as built-in multiplayer modes + _maps_ (arenas?) designed for such modes + some official public servers many of CoD/BF3 kids would find ARMA3 more interesting (including me).

All above mods are possible in BIS games.

So you would want small scale maps for such gamemods, limiting the gameplay to corridor/narrow areas instead of being able to flank, go around and come from behind as it is possible with playing over a smaller area with all the terrain at your disposal?

Oh btw, there are no official servers for A2 for a reason. I am pretty sure BIS will NOT provide such servers or interfere with the community in any way. If you like, every server out there is official. I would actually be dissapointed if it would be any different.

EDIT: I can imagine playing de_dust2 in ARMA3 ;).

well i don't.

By CTF I mean some mid-scale CTF like in UT2004 (with vehicles of course).

Already possible. Your point is?

EDIT2: I'm not trying to say "zomg plz BIS make arma3 more accessible like BF3", but rather keep it like BIS & community like it and add those PvP mods/arenas.

Why would you like arenas dude? All those PvP modes are possible in A2. The main reason this game is not embraced all that much by PvP community is the slower pace and the dodgy controls and some of the animations. That's about it. why would you like BIS to put in gamemods that would actually reduce A3 to CS with more realistic ballistics, damage models and vehicles?

I think he suggests that BIS includes those Gamemodes by default, like Warfare. Its then up to the server Admins to decide if they want to host it

More missions of all kinds cannot be a bad thing :) As long as they can be categorised easily enough.

So you would want small scale maps for such gamemods, limiting the gameplay to corridor/narrow areas instead of being able to flank, go around and come from behind as it is possible with playing over a smaller area with all the terrain at your disposal?

Oh btw, there are no official servers for A2 for a reason. I am pretty sure BIS will NOT provide such servers or interfere with the community in any way. If you like, every server out there is official. I would actually be dissapointed if it would be any different.

Why would you like arenas dude? All those PvP modes are possible in A2. The main reason this game is not embraced all that much by PvP community is the slower pace and the dodgy controls and some of the animations. That's about it. why would you like BIS to put in gamemods that would actually reduce A3 to CS with more realistic ballistics, damage models and vehicles?

You know even de_dust2 can be played smartly. But I didn't mean just small arenas. There is a more players out there that likes to play matches like in Counter-Strike (eg. mostly PvP modes) then players in BIS community (eg. mostly coops). That's my whole point. If you want BIS to grow and add more interesting features over time (like component-driven damage) then you want them to get shitload of money even from such players. Compared to existing features of ARMA2 such stuff can't be that complicated to add. And you can completely ignore those players. As I said, slow paced nature of ARMA3 doesn't prohibit such gameplay

Already possible. Your point is?

Sorry I didn't know. I only played CWC & Resistance. My PC unfortunately can't handle ARMA2 so I'm waiting for ARMA3. Then I'll buy buy GT590 and so on ;).

EDIT: By the way: Why do you resist on adding modes (Dmoniation) which you will not be playing?

Edited by batto

I meant to say that it turned even more into a run and gun game where you don´t really have to think about tactics at all, in comparison to BF2.

But it didn't?

Sure you can rambo around on your own, but you will always be more effective if you work together as a squad.

A few examples I've had recently:

3 or 4 people working together to form an AA squad. 2 or 3 engies with AA and one support with the ammo, nothing was able to even take off... Achieved total air supremacy. Cant do that on your own.

3 or 4 people working together to form a mortar squad. 2 or 3 support with mortars, one recon as spotter. Can dominate areas of ground and deny it to the enemy. Not possible on your own.

2 full squads working together with tanks (1 squad as vehicle crew, one as infantry) and you can crush an opposing force (typically you have an engie as the 2nd seat in the vehicle who can jump out and rep)

Then you have the simple squad tactics... More often than not, I will lead my squad away from the meat grinder (on conquest at least) and flank around to cap all the unguarded points - its SO simple and often wins us the round.

It really isnt that dumbed down. Streamlined and perfected maybe, dumbed down, not so much. (Haters gonna hate and all that)

I canceled my Mass Effect 3 pre-order @ Amazon because of Origin.

Origin is not even compatible with German law, as long they tread their customers like that, they can keep their Games for themselves.

Arma III will be fun.

Why would you like arenas dude?

Because PvP is a gametype worthy of custom maps.

If you design a limited Arena then you can set the pace of the gameplay.

Herd the gamers into hotspots and choke points where there will be lots of action.

Provide a limited number of approaches so that tactics can be countered and like chess, the moves and strategies can be learnt.

Stage the fights into zones so every dog has his day. The guy who likes to snipe has a spot he owns, the CQB guy has spot he owns, the tank guy the bazooka guy.. every dog has his day.

And then you can play games instead of simulations.

You can optimise the map layout to reduce bandwidth spiking.

You can even have higher res/higher FPS scenery.

Arena's are fun.

If you play chess on an infinite sized board, the opposing pieces will never meet.

The arenas they make in games like BF and Enemy Territory are really high generation level design.

I think the ease of the interface is another big one. Being able to change role or equipment intuatively and fast. Spawn point etc.

But it didn't?

Sure you can rambo around on your own, but you will always be more effective if you work together as a squad.

A few examples I've had recently:

3 or 4 people working together to form an AA squad. 2 or 3 engies with AA and one support with the ammo, nothing was able to even take off... Achieved total air supremacy. Cant do that on your own.

3 or 4 people working together to form a mortar squad. 2 or 3 support with mortars, one recon as spotter. Can dominate areas of ground and deny it to the enemy. Not possible on your own.

2 full squads working together with tanks (1 squad as vehicle crew, one as infantry) and you can crush an opposing force (typically you have an engie as the 2nd seat in the vehicle who can jump out and rep)

Then you have the simple squad tactics... More often than not, I will lead my squad away from the meat grinder (on conquest at least) and flank around to cap all the unguarded points - its SO simple and often wins us the round.

It really isnt that dumbed down. Streamlined and perfected maybe, dumbed down, not so much. (Haters gonna hate and all that)

QFT.

I usually play wiht 2-3 friends and we hop into a squad together. Like you said about tanks, if we all get into tanks and have engineers to repair then we're pretty unstoppable... Ace squad more often than not. Youre right about the meatgrinder thing. 90% of the people dont try flanking, but if you manage to get a good position with a couple of squadmates, you can clean up and win very quickly.

At the end of the day you get people playing rambo in any game, ArmA included. Play with people you know and itll be more fun. Or in the worst case you can rant to them about the rest of the team on voice chat ;D

I guess you can either play the game for what it is and have a blast and enjoy it, or just sit around writing crap in forums because its not what you want it to be....

A couple of the maps are kinda crap though. My pet hate is the map with basejumping, on rush.