Sign in to follow this  
Daio

Origin fail ...... best promotion for arma 3?

Since yesterday we see many of bad comments to origin

and many comments sounds like i dosnt buy bf3 because origin is needed to play

here in germany that topic was headlined on Spiegel.de (famous newspaper here)

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/netzpolitik/0,1518,794600,00.html

(at spiegel forums some users try to promote arma 2 already)

and the ratings on amazon is nearly one star only because origin

http://www.amazon.de/EA-Battlefield-3-Limited-Edition/dp/B004M17DVM/ref=pd_ts_zgc_vg_300992_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&pf_rd_p=246105527&pf_rd_s=right-4&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=301052&pf_rd_m=A3JWKAKR8XB7XF&pf_rd_r=11GY1Q0BZN27PE21J75Y

can bohemia use that fail or what can other devlopers learn from that?

how is that "promotion" for arma3? because a DRM sucks it doesnt mean that people are going to buy/play ArmA3... especially when Battlefield and ArmA are not at all targetting the same market of gamers...

In addition, its clearly some asshole forum who have decided to rape the ratings on amazon because they dont approve of Origin. not actual genuine reviews of the GAME...

Yeah same thing with the users rating of Cods and such on. On a lot of websites its often something near zero, but the game sells Million and counting..

And when a DLC containing a new weapon is released it always sells good.

How can you blame the game industry for pumping out clone titles and stupid DLC when its clearly such a good move for them?

After all, their main purpose is to make money, not to entertain you..

And if they can get rich by paying some modeler to make a new weapon or map.. Why not? /offtopic.

To answer the OP:

No, I dont think this will be that good for Arma.. The two games satify two different needs. The community went through this discussion a lot of times, also thanks to trolls that keep opening threads like "ShOulD I BuYzor ArMA or BAttflefieldzor 3? Convince Me Nao!1", so I wont say nothing more about that.

how is that "promotion" for arma3? because a DRM sucks it doesnt mean that people are going to buy/play ArmA3... especially when Battlefield and ArmA are not at all targetting the same market of gamers...

In addition, its clearly some asshole forum who have decided to rape the ratings on amazon because they dont approve of Origin. not actual genuine reviews of the GAME...

Well if Origin is neede to enjoy BF then... :rolleyes:

yet, over all the fail rumours and hate against Origin

the EA stated that around 5 millions users login to the service to play daily

which would make it 2nd biggest online distribution (with complex features) next to STEAM

in total user numbers it's probably now in top 5 or 10 ....

one of reason Origin is success is the title exclusivity and huge EA back-catalogue and actual-catalogue ...

the interesting paradox will arise in moment Activision, Ubisoft and some other publishers try do the same ...

it's known as too many choices paradox ....

Also, though I possess an irrational hate for all those programs like Origin and Steam, it really doesn't matter because most of the issues such players are having with BF3 are technical things that will probably be fixed or improved anyway. The kinds of players that will switch over to ArmA from BF (like myself, when ArmA 3 comes out) are those who are unsatisfied with the direction that the design philosophy of that series is taking, towards more "accessibility" and appeal to the casual masses. So yeah, this is irrelevant, I'm afraid.

Might be taken as a troll post, but it's not; Frankly, am I the only one thinking that if ArmA 3 would focus on large scale combined force battles, instead of Special Forces actions again, it could be a much better choice for a wider amount of gamers, also ones disappointed by BF 3 (those would probably complain about the setting, just like me :P) or searching for "more big battles".

i was thinking if you want to play a shooter with military setup you can chose between arma, cod and bf

and i read sales of cod on console 14 mio and pc 770k? because the dedicated server thing

and now came origin and many people say they wont buy battlefield

so your only choice is arma now

and arma 3 looks in videos much more comfortble then arma 2 it is

so i will hope best for arma

Edited by Daio

Might be taken as a troll post, but it's not; Frankly, am I the only one thinking that if ArmA 3 would focus on large scale combined force battles, instead of Special Forces actions again, it could be a much better choice for a wider amount of gamers, also ones disappointed by BF 3 (those would probably complain about the setting, just like me :P) or searching for "more big battles".

I also enjoy wider manouvers to be honest, especially from the commander point of view.

Beacuse thats the only way you can actually understand the situation.:) Even though not understanding totally the situation is part of the fun, according to a lot of people around here! (Meanging that you are just a soldier taking part in something bigger than you, and wich over you have no control)

But what I really want to say is that I dont really know how these kinds of big manouvers would be done in a 2025 environment or if they would even be possible. I know there is still need for boots on the ground, but not having air superiority would be a massive no-go I guess.

Assets are becoming a lot less forgiving.

I guess I'm going offtopic again.

Money over everything.... FPDR

Are you referring to the situation of gaming industry?

Edited by Zoz

Never heard of Origin until this thread (not kidding), and it scares me:

http://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBPRIVACY/US/en/PC/

and I probably would have failed to read the small text on the cover if I went to a store and bought it.

But I won't buy it, because its SP just seems to have no replayability whatsoever from what I've seen on lets plays, and its MP just doesn't appeal to me, and with no mod support there is no reason whatsoever (most important reason to "invest" in a game for me). Even if I was a "BF fan", this Origin thing, if I was aware of it, would have stopped me from getting it.

Oh well, this is EA, I quit supporting them ages ago, along with many (not all) of my friends. Ubisoft too, but there all of my friends are boycotting them. And never because of bad games, only because of policies to ignore common Privacy Rights (and common decency - a fading word from modern vocabulary).

especially when Battlefield and ArmA are not at all targetting the same market of gamers...

I thinnk you'll find that they are both targeting very many of the exact same gamers.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Well if Origin is neede to enjoy BF then... :rolleyes:

This is EA's version of Steam I take it?

I'll try anything once. Once I have tried it, I fully expect to be moaning about it incessantly and thinking twice about ever buying anything that uses it in future. (Or at least pricing my distaste into any purchasing decision).

But er... first time = benefit of the doubt. All my life I have been a sucker like that.

Edited by Baff1

I thinnk you'll find that they are both targeting very many of the exact same gamers.

My point was that while there are obvious similarities in the "theme" of the two games - both have guns, vehicles and planes - the similarities dont go much further than that. One is a lot more accessible for quick blasts of fun, whereas the other has a lot more potential for nice long afternoons/evenings of milsim-esque enjoyment...

Its not a "one or the other" choice, I dont see any reason why a lost BF3 customer would equal a new ArmA customer, or vice versa... Surely people can own and actively play more than one game at a time?

well there are always alternatives like Desura, ImpulseDriven and Good Old Games ...

but like i tried hint before, too many alternatives pose similar problem as not enough (too low or just monopoly) ...

the market will ofcourse balance itself over time

I'm staying with Take on Helicopters, Arma2 and 3. I like the way BIS does business and they never let the fans down. It's a quality, friendly service unlike the 'mugging at knife point' you get at the hands of the US business model.

Just look at the work being put into the game with the recent beta patches and where else do you get such a great moding community? Every week there is something new going on. I have no complaints.

Sure players might get sick of Origin, and or EA like they have for years yet there is no promotion for ArmA 3 because of that.

Allot of COD, BF players have no interest in ArmA because it isn't a run around get shot, live, blow stuff up game, it's a Military Sim. I have friends that like those games mainly for the get straight into it no real need for thinking factor, for any little exploit they can find to get more kills and medals/rewards.

I personally cant stand the knobs that eventually fill that type of game who ruin it for everyone.

Damn i knew it! I had always a big suspect against things as steam and online registration.

am I the only one thinking that if ArmA 3 would focus on large scale combined force battles, instead of Special Forces actions again, it could be a much better choice for a wider amount of gamers, also ones disappointed by BF 3 (those would probably complain about the setting, just like me :P) or searching for "more big battles".

No, you are not.

I too think large-scale, combined ops type stuff would be much better than this OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp we've been getting from everywhere lately...

No, you are not.

I too think large-scale, combined ops type stuff would be much better than this OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp we've been getting from everywhere lately...

Maybe the reason we are gettin more OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp is that ArmA's AI cant really simulate a combat on a lets say even platoon level!

What I mean is:

If we have a platoon on the field (lets say 3 infantry squads,1 weapon squad,HQ) some things became really obvious, like:

-No chain of command

-HQs are just guys with guns and a high rank

-Each squad is on its own and doesnt really reads the situation(ie: enemy contact->go danger->attack without evaluating the situation and enemy forces)

Squads are supposed to be connected togheter and work towards the same objective, having them lying around and doing whatever they feel like doing makes it hard to simulate something bigger than squad level operation.

So maybe, since the squad is the biggest coordinated entity we can have on the field(without scripting or High command?) having this OMG-ninja-delta-speshul-forces carp esulating from any chain of command is what would make more sense?

Anyway, I have to say I never really used the High Command feature in my missions so, I ask you: would it be able to simulate something like this?

At the end of the day if you want to play a game thats pretty much an interactive epic movie then COD and BF3 are your games. they are amazing, the grapics are great and it really is like being immersed into a michael bay/john woo film. However if you want a military simulator that isn't restricted and scripted to end the same way every time you play it and have a huge open terrain with the ability to use any vehicle and make you own missions to suit your own, then arma is the way forward. There is nothing wrong with liking both I enjoy both and i dont go all fanboy trying to compare them because you cannot compare them, they are both completely different styles of game. i know everything i have just said is completely offtopic but hey, just saying what i think.

Is BF3 not a well crafted multiplayer then?

That's the key to it for me with these two franchises.

Single Player or Co-op ArmA is a game I want to play, but not PvP and

PvP I want to play Battlefield but not single player or Co-op.

Is BF3 not a well crafted multiplayer then?

Its what it is -a fooking good blast :cool:

Hello all

Well, I don't think the origin Eula issues will stop many (ie a large percentage of potential buyers) purchasing the game or indeed having a major impact on A3 sales.

The ven diagram of the majority of BF3 users wont cross over to the A3 realm.

I'm not a fan of large (or small!) companies and their draconian Eula's but, as I *have* to agree to Origin to play BF3, then well, I have to take that bitter pill no matter how horrid.

I actually did buy BF3 yesterday (my first games purchase other than Arma/Men of war for a very very long time). And so far Im a happy happy bunny

Iv'e found the whole Origin/Net based server list etc to be a fairly painless affair and although a bit fast paced, I'm adoring the game.

I'd recommend it. It's no Arma, but feels more like Arma:PR to me (on anphetamines).

Rgds

LoK