Sign in to follow this  
Nekall

Look down, out of the Window.

Hi,

I have seen a video on youtube where a user with trackir looks out of the window. I think it`s very helpfull to land. But i havent trackir. Can i look so somehow different with the keyboard ?

its seen on 1:40-1:50 what i meen.

Sorry for the bad english

I have trackir and my view is fixed on the pilot's shoulders. Does anyone know the setting to allow me to move my "head" around (6DOF)?

Go to settings->Controls and at the bottom you have something like Controllers button. Click and in the next window select TrackIR and press enable. If it still doesn't work there should be a DEFAULT button at that same page too which sets the default mappings for the controller you have selected.

I should have been more clear - trackir works fine but my view does not move in x,y,z, only rotation works.

The controls you need to map are named move head(analg). If you want analog zoom its in the all controls category, not in helicopter controls.

Hi,

Try Left CTRL + Mouse moving.

_neo_

Don`t work for me :j:

I should have been more clear - trackir works fine but my view does not move in x,y,z, only rotation works.

My TrackIR 4 models all 6 degrees for me. I can lean my head out the window, stick my face closer to the controls, the whole thing.

Would you mind sharing your settings?

I cant get my trackir to work properly, it is very jerky, switches between head back and forth etc, very disturbing and also, it is somewhat stuck on the pilots head, meaning I cant lean in any direction, I can move my view near the pedestal or anything. Just the annoying pop forward - pop backward motion. I might add, the device is activated and works perfectly in i.e FSX so no back light issues or anything "normal" like that.

Anyway, flying without trackir atm :)

Are you flying with mouse and keyboard? If you do, maybe the mouse is also controlling your head or something?

Nope, I've disabled all the mouse/view bindings. If it is any comfort, a friend of mine suffers the same problem. The biggest problem is the annoying head popping forward and backwards. Well it aint nothing like in FSX and I sure can't figure it out either...so I am at a loss here.

@ anyone who has trackir running perfectly, could you post wich axis you have configured for what in relation to trackir?

I modified the controller settings as suggested. It makes perfect sense, but it still doesn't work. I used the Move Head(anlg.) settings mapped to trackir functions, but the head won't move. I even tried the Move Head Forward/Back keys but the head does not move. Rotation is fine in every direction.

It's like the head is locked in place. I checked the config file but I can't find a relevant setting.

I also created a new profile with the same result. There must be a setting we are missing somewhere!

To my disappointment, it seems the game only support 3DOF + zoom in/zoom out

which means X and Y axis are useless and Z are somewhat un-usable.

The video in the first post of this thread clearly shows 6DOF with the pilot moving his head out of the door and closer to the panel which is what we want.

That video is from the community preview, so maybe this feature was removed.

I CAN move the pilot's head in a small box over the shoulders, but the box is tiny. I cannot move the head out of the window or closer to the panel.

Left Alt + Mouse Moving.

No, ALT + Mouse Moving will allow you to rotate your head, while CTRL + Mouse Moving will allow you to move your head X, Y and Z.

I CAN move the pilot's head in a small box over the shoulders

This has been officially confirmed to be simulating the pilot having a seat belt.

_neo_

OK after some messing around I got all 6DOF functioning, well, sort of, as now just like scarp said, all X Y and Z axis doing is to jump from the center all the suddent to the edge of the "box" instead of a smooth movement.

Would you mind sharing your settings?

I cant get my trackir to work properly, it is very jerky, switches between head back and forth etc, very disturbing and also, it is somewhat stuck on the pilots head, meaning I cant lean in any direction, I can move my view near the pedestal or anything. Just the annoying pop forward - pop backward motion. I might add, the device is activated and works perfectly in i.e FSX so no back light issues or anything "normal" like that.

Anyway, flying without trackir atm :)

Sounds like you might be getting light interference. Remove any lights you may have behind you or anything reflecting light. Go search the TrackIR forums and they will advise further.

I also have trackIR 4 and this is why there is no window behind my computer. :)

Adjust LightFilter Threshold (mine is set at 230 but this may vary)

Edited by pchaxor

This has been officially confirmed to be simulating the pilot having a seat belt.

_neo_

The fish-eye effect in the cockpit is way-off for the view to be considered simulated realism. Look how far away your hand on the collective seems to be from and how far away and small the dials and switches in the centre column seem to be - they are unreadable. It should be possible, with TrackIR, to lean forward smoothly and look closely at the cockpit details if they are going to keep this exaggerated fish-eye. Don't give me the "zoom key" thing as, in real life, a pilot's eyes do not have a zoom function ;) . In my opinion the over-emphasised fish-eye effect should be removed so that the cockpit details and instruments are readable, or they should release the pilot's head to move freely with TrackIR (like eyery other simulator with 6-DOF).

Edited by War_Radish

Sounds like you might be getting light interference. Remove any lights you may have behind you or anything reflecting light. Go search the TrackIR forums and they will advise further.

I also have trackIR 4 and this is why there is no window behind my computer. :)

Adjust LightFilter Threshold (mine is set at 230 but this may vary)

My trackir is working perfectly, even in this game, because there is no problem at all with rotation. The problem is that the game is restricting head translation.

Don't give me the "zoom key" thing as, in real life, a pilot's eyes do not have a zoom function ;).

In RL you are not seeing the world through a 24' (or whatever) sized window...

The Zoom function it's also there for a reason, the image you get from the game has been made smaller (bigger FOV) so the Zoom compensates that and in theory should be how you see in real life (When zoomed in).

_neo_

No, ALT + Mouse Moving will allow you to rotate your head, while CTRL + Mouse Moving will allow you to move your head X, Y and Z.

_neo_

Sorry don't have TOH yet, I was going off ArmA 2's control's

Have a look in the screenshots only thread, there is a picture someone posted where he has his head out of the heli, you can see he also has a sling with a crate hanging from it.

How did he get this to work, and how come we can't. Being able to lean out the window/door is something I would like to be able to do but am unable to just like a few people here have posted, I can only move around in this tiny box above the guys shoulders.

The thread is called "Take On Helicopters | Photography only no discussion"