Sign in to follow this  
RFKL

Arma2 is realistic go play cod ***********

"Sometimes when I stand near the ladder I have to say a little prayer or the action to climb won't appear."

"That's ArmA simulating aversion to heights, bro. Go play COD, noob."

"When I'm climbing scaffolding it sometimes feels like an invisible hand is pushing me off"

"Yeah, that's the wind, bro. ArmA is realistic like that. If you don't like wind go play COD, noob."

"Interacting with objects without clunky context menus would be nice."

"ArmA is simulating indecisiveness. Do you want to be a driver? Do you want to be a gunner? Go play COD, noob."

"When I'm playing on low ping servers with low ping players there are still issues with players teleporting or freezing."

"ArmA is simulating the fog of war, bro. War is confusing and disorientating. You killed him. Or did you? Go play COD, noob."

"Driving a car feels like driving a taxing jet."

"Go play GTA!#@!$!@$"

Please quit trotting out the "ArmA is realistic go play X, bro" line to dismiss any criticism, and quit making poor excuses for stuff that can accurately be described as bugs or just plain awkwardness that serves no purpose. It seems to make appearances when discussing issues that have nothing to do with action vs simulation, and god help you if you mention or suggest anything a mainstream shooter like Battlefield does well.

Edited by RFKL
typo

Hello and welcome to the forums. We wish you a pleasent stay, short as it may be. :)

"Please quit trotting out the "ArmA is realistic go play X, bro" line to dismiss any criticism"

"ArmA is simulating frustration, go play CoD son"

Hello and welcome to the forums. We wish you a pleasent stay, short as it may be. :)

Thank you. I love ArmA; I've been playing these games since at least OPF 1.85.

And I love the community and players too. I remember the first time I awkwardly flew a transport helicopters full of team mates, the chat was hilarious even when the ride came to a crashing halt, the community is like the polar opposite of HoN.

It's just a pet peeve of mine and I see it all the time when I'm looking up a technical or game issue on the forums and it kind of annoys me.

Whats funniest about this post is I don't think I've ever seen a regular ARMA forum poster refer to anyone as 'noob'.

That's something found on the forums of say....COD...lol

This forum does have a certain demographic that gets a shit fit whenever someone mentions anything that might have something to do with a (god forbid) less realistic shooter game, even when discussing a feature that is already in Arma 2. I wish they went and played VBS2 and never came back to grief the rest of us.

What is noob?

By the way, here on the BI forums we complain a lot about what is wrong with ArmA and thetre is plenty to complain, thats a well known fact, but going to play CoD won't fix it unfortunately so the "play CoD" advise makes no sense at all.

Nobody will tell you here to go play CoD because of interface clunkiness.

Now if you were to complain about the lack of bunnyhopping...

Nobody will tell you here to go play CoD because of interface clunkiness.

Now if you were to complain about the lack of bunnyhopping...

or ninja knife stealth kills...

OP has a point. Celery is right, we do have a crowd that have a fit should someone even dare to suggest anything that is even remotely associated with a mainstream game.

I remember a while back when someone said to me that they didn't like a game because it was like COD. My response?

Why? Because it's got guns and you shoot things with it?

Silence ensued...

If people can't think of a decent reason why something is bad in a game, they'll usually turn to the "It's like COD" argument.

or ninja knife stealth kills...

oh r00k i pulled a nife from midair n hit u foot, u die now

l33t skillz

OP has a point. Celery is right, we do have a crowd that have a fit should someone even dare to suggest anything that is even remotely associated with a mainstream game.

Somehow I don't see people suggesting to make ArmA less realistic drooling all over OFP DR which is exactly what they want.

I wonder why

Somehow I don't see people suggesting to make ArmA less realistic drooling all over OFP DR which is exactly what they want.

I wonder why

You are the poster child of the crowd we're talking about here. You simply refuse to see why anyone would want to change anything in Arma 2 without wanting to make the game even less realistic than Call of Duty, and you are ready to fabricate any kind of strawman argument to back it up. Case in point, your ridiculous DR statement, or every other post in your forum history.

Maybe because my statement is true?

OFP DR has no "overloaded" command interface, no need to lead big squads, has no "clunky movement" with a floating camera instead, has hitscan instead of "guns that don't hit", you don't get "frustrated" over being killed right away, you don't need to care about "nonresponsive medics" that don't heal you right away under fire since you can use infinite medkits yourself, no "aimbot" AI that "can see you through walls and bushes".

It's a perfect ArmA for people who don't want to play ArmA - why don't people (incl. you) appreciate it then? Maybe because realism, or better - authenticity of ArmA is what makes you play it instead of DR despite "frustrating" moments?

The go play "insert boy band shooter here" has gotten pretty old to be honest. I think pointing out reminders such as scale of Arma as well as full player being modeled leads to better discussion then the latter.

Of course there is a counterpart 1 liner as well "Go shell out $1500 for VBS if you want real" or my favorite "Join the Army!" :p

This thread will implode in 3...2...

Edited by froggyluv

Maybe because my statement is true?

No, it's because you simply refuse to see why anyone would want to change anything in Arma 2 without wanting to make the game even less realistic than Call of Duty, and you are ready to fabricate any kind of strawman argument to back it up. Like you just did yet again.

LOL OP,

seems you hit a sore spot...again :rolleyes:

No, it's because you simply refuse to see why anyone would want to change anything in Arma 2 without wanting to make the game even less realistic than Call of Duty, and you are ready to fabricate any kind of strawman argument to back it up. Like you just did yet again.

I don't mind when someone talks about changing the game in a better way - i.e. better tutorials, interface, missions etc. but not through making it "less realistic" like you've said.

If anything ArmA still lacks enough realism.

I don't mind when someone talks about changing the game in a better way - i.e. better tutorials, interface, missions etc. but not through making it "less realistic" like you've said.

If anything ArmA still lacks enough realism.

The problem is that you are a human klaxon that fires up without fail whenever someone dares suggest something that might have the slightest chance of making the game less realistic by your standards. And you do it by stating false presumptions about your victim's motives and continue by looking down on him, his "kind", and everything that you think represents the concept of unrealism. It's really annoying to deal with you on these forums.

I wonder why

Case in point. I'd truly like to know your rationale for believing fixing clipping issues, falling off scaffolding, lag, clunky context menus, etc. equate to dumbing down the game or wanting it to be less realistic.

And I don't understand where this paladin of realism superiority complex comes from either considering ArmA isn't anywhere close to being realistic. Go play Steel Beasts and tell me ArmA models tanks realistically. Go play DCS Blackshark and tell me ArmA models helicopters realistically.

Edited by RFKL

*shrug*

ARMA2 is hardly unique in having an online forum community with a high signal to noise ratio. There will always be grognards going up in arms to any suggestion for change. Likewise there are always the opposite-- well meaning yet ultimately naive persons making impractical suggestions/commentaries.

> Arma2 lets you play firefights at +200m-- in essence more realistic than anything out there.

> Arma2 lets you mod, rebuild, change the experience with user made addons. Enjoy it! This is more than most gamers get.

> Arma2 has shit interface. Live with it.

Welcome to the internet.

-k

edit: also

Edited by NkEnNy
For youtube

i got to agree with celery whole heartily...

It's a perfect ArmA for people who don't want to play ArmA - why don't people (incl. you) appreciate it then? Maybe because realism, or better - authenticity of ArmA is what makes you play it instead of DR despite "frustrating" moments?

I play ARMA because I enjoy it. Simple.

I hope you're sitting down...

Because I actually liked DR for what it was. I enjoyed it for a short while but then the fact that it's restricted and not as mod-able as ARMA made me forget about it. I also enjoy playing COD. And Battlefield.

If that hasn't given him a heart attack I don't know what will.

You need to see that there's more to a game than just realism. If I couldn't mod ARMA or make things with it I'd have left it behind years ago.

The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.

Edited by Hellfire257