Sign in to follow this  
VoodooMTL

New Chernarus forces

I've been toying around with the idea of giving Chernarus a more diverse and modern military force - I got the idea from massi's Takistan Special Brigade and the RACS project. The CDF struck me as being stuck in the Cold War with old soviet equipment that is bound to leave them dead in the water sooner or later.

I thought I'd try giving different branches to the Chernarus military, while aiming for a modern military force from a post-soviet country, trying to establish stronger ties with NATO and the EU, while distancing itself from Russia. Therefore, the equipment would be a mix of old soviet equipment slowly being phased out, and modern equipment purchased here and there from international manufacturers, or bought/rented secondhand from NATO allies, with a complete avoidance of modern russian military equipment.

Here's a few concepts I've been working on... First, Chernarus Marine Infantry soldiers (based on the ACR soldier):

Their uniforms are a prototype flecktarn scheme (which I may modify later on - seemed a bit dark to me). They're sporting HK416's from RH's pack, although those are just placeholders for now - I'd like to find a weapon that's relatively modern but which isn't an M16/M4.

By the way, anyone knows how to get rid of the ACR imprint on the shoulder patch? I've tried erasing it from every possible bumpmap and alpha file, but it still appears... unless they actually modeled that imprint?

Thing is, I'd like to remove the armpatch altogether.

Then I've got a few naval base security vehicles for the Chernarus Navy, sporting a blue-gray scheme which blends in pretty well in port areas.

I also had a naval security forces soldier wearing a blue camo paint scheme, but I'm not sure yet if he'd be a realistic addition or if he's a little too GI-Joe-ish.

Next stop, a CDF repaint of the OA BTR-60 - probably a reserve vehicle.

And finally, the Chernarus Naval Ensign (which will eventually be added as a flag) and the Navy roundel (which is used in a low-vis version on the navy vehicles):

10epkaw.jpg

30cvd68.jpg

Your comments and constructive criticism are welcome...

Edited by W0lle
5 images way over 100 kb hidden in spoilers

Good concept.

For a navel style camo ideas, have a look at the Australian Navy one.

Good luck with it.

i like the look of the project already, a few ideas try to create an ORBAT (Order of Battle) so you know vehicles and how many infantry you are going to have. For inspiration have a look at my Nogovan one http://naf.8bit-online.co.uk/order-of-battle/ (Bearing in Mind this is for Nogova, Malden and Everon).

As this will help you work out what vehicles you would like, or need

If you want to remove the Czech logo, i edited one of the textures to remove it altogether, for my Nogovan Paratroopers. I cant remember which texture, i will have a look when i get home from work.

Looks very promising so far, keep it up :)

Edited by R0adki11

Gd'day!

love the idea of the project allready. In terms of weapons, how about asking vilas if he let's you use his Beryl rifles which he made for his polish army pack? the current versions look pretty cool...hmmm, maybe you could even ask him if shares his Star Trucks and Rosomak vehicles with you. I think they would fit the CDF pretty well too.

good luck with your project!

A Leopard 2 would fit this very well IMO.

Regarding the rifle, how about an indigenous one? Something like the CZ805 springs to mind. :)

Maybe to use IMI Tavors as the rifle? Looks pretty futuristic.

coupalisator, check the Rvmat-file for the uniform, there's a different normal-map assigned there I think (you'll need to reassign the path for the rvmat-file aswell), I had the same problem when I did the Tier1 soldiers. I Like the idea. :)

Thanks all for your feedback! I'm planning to work more on this over the weekend - and probably experiment with some ideas.

As for the choice of weapons, I obviously have to see what's available (and what I can get permission for), but the CZ805 and the Beryl sounded like good potential candidates. I'd rather keep more exotic weapons such as the IMI Tavor for an eventual Special Forces battalion.

@ R0adki11: Great idea, will work on it over the weekend.

@ FLv*VeNoM*: I'd have to think about it and see if they work properly first... I often encounter a lot of bugs with Vilas' addons, sadly. I'm usually able to fix the config-related ones myself, but bugs in models and animations are something that I wouldn't even think about trying to fix myself. I'm borderline OCD when I use/work on mods, so I have a hard time letting the slightest detail slip by...

@ Hellfire257: Thanks! I can't believe I haven't thought about that one, I was wondering what modern MBT I could use that wasn't russian nor the M1A1.

@ McNools : Will do. I'm still learning the usage of most of the game files... :)

@ Binkowski: These ones are, yeah. However I'm not planning to simply retexture the ACR. I'm still getting the hang of things with Arma 2 editing, so I might try new things as I discover new possibilities.

@ McNools : Will do. I'm still learning the usage of most of the game files... :)

I know the feeling :) I don't quite remember how you edit rvmaps, but I remember editing a path pointing to the old nohq-file in it, so it's not that complicated. :)

Project RACS is flattered that we were able to influence you to bring your own project for the armaverse.

If we can be of any assistance please drop me a PM with what we can do.

Good luck with your endeavor!

Really about time someone brought CDF to the 21st century!

Also: post Soviet infantry unit(Latvia)

http://img391.imageshack.us/img391/3818/yt7isv3.jpg

1)Very ACR-like(you nailed this part 100%)

2)G36 - Modern NATO weapon that is not an M4(Vilas West weapons pack got some of these)

And ofcourse - my faw camo=P

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4059/4371224238_9ea1da01f9.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2744/4379792409_7646007b1f_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4380547772_d02e2f980c_o.jpg

P.S. I know I show up with this in like 3rd tread - but I jus friggin adore that camo pattern! X)

Also that naval blue paint scheme is top! Just don't forget to give the reserve ground forces some T-55's to go along with 'em BTR60's)

Russian SURPAT could be a camo, with the modern CDF using AK-101s (5.56 AK) or some Locally Produced Variant akin to the Polish Beryl series.

Well he wrote about no modern east equipment - and from the realism standpoint that's quite correct - we don't use modern russian equipment(only some old ex-CSLA T-55's lol and ZIL-157) - all the "new" gear is NATO) -same goes for pretty much all the ex-USSR NATO armies - CDF in vanilla are pretty much Ukraine(almost same camo, flag, weps, vehicles)

Edited by Bars91

Well he wrote about no modern east equipment - and from the realism standpoint that's quite correct - we don't use modern russian equipment(only some old ex-CSLA T-55's lol and ZIL-157) - all the "new" gear is NATO) -same goes for pretty much all the ex-USSR NATO armies - CDF in vanilla are pretty much Ukraine(almost same camo, flag, weps, vehicles)

Right, didn't catch that. In that case, Steyr AUG A3s or G36s, or even a brand new concept just for Chernarus.

Edited by Black Cat

Well I have requested it before in the addons request thread so here it comes: either one or several versions of the JAS 39 Gripen in CDF colors. Because the CAF (Chernarussian Air Force) really needs new modern planes!

sweguy96 - yeah Gripen would be cool to have)))

I guess I could do the Gripen - seems like a lot of these are going on lease to countries in that area IRL. But for now I'd rather focus on new infantry than vehicles.

By the way, I looked left and right but couldn't really find a precise answer to this question: Is it relatively easy to switch heads for a model, like if, say, you wanted to remove an helmet or swap it for another?

From what I gather, it seems you have to go in the model editor to do that (unless it can be done through Hex editing?) Thing is, I'd like to explore my options, my main reason for choosing the ACR troops as a base was the helmets with the goggles, but I'd like to use another body, perhaps one with long sleeves. If doing an head switch is easy enough, I might do that, otherwise I'll stick with ACR for now.

I saw some units by Schnapsdrosel with some Takistan soldiers without a helmet... seemed to indicate that what I want to do is possible to some extent. Any tips/clues/links to a tutorial I might have overlooked?

i was thinking about modernizing some CDF awhile ago, if you want Voodoo Operator i could show you some of my old work. just contact me by pm if you're interested.

I guess I could do the Gripen - seems like a lot of these are going on lease to countries in that area IRL. But for now I'd rather focus on new infantry than vehicles.

By the way, I looked left and right but couldn't really find a precise answer to this question: Is it relatively easy to switch heads for a model, like if, say, you wanted to remove an helmet or swap it for another?

From what I gather, it seems you have to go in the model editor to do that (unless it can be done through Hex editing?) Thing is, I'd like to explore my options, my main reason for choosing the ACR troops as a base was the helmets with the goggles, but I'd like to use another body, perhaps one with long sleeves. If doing an head switch is easy enough, I might do that, otherwise I'll stick with ACR for now.

I saw some units by Schnapsdrosel with some Takistan soldiers without a helmet... seemed to indicate that what I want to do is possible to some extent. Any tips/clues/links to a tutorial I might have overlooked?

yes. you need access tot he model to do that...... unfortunately right now we do not have the MLODs. Hopefully that will be remedied soon.

I'd have to ask Schnapsdrosel how he did it. His desert mercs addon clearly had Takistan soldiers without helmets and with custom ones.

I'd have to ask Schnapsdrosel how he did it. His desert mercs addon clearly had Takistan soldiers without helmets and with custom ones.

He might have modelled similar looking soldiers himself? Not too sure.

If you want long sleeves, I suggest using the USMC or US Army bodies, as some of both groups have both long and partial sleeves.

I'd also suggest that, would give you more variations of models to work with aswell, :) the CZ-models are very limited.