Sign in to follow this  
jumpinghubert

how to include OA/Arma2 islands?

I tried the normal method but toh didn´t start. What do i need from the arma2/oa addon folder?

yes, I tried it with a couple of single island too and get same results. Maybe the lack of regular arma2-addons.

yes, I tried it with a couple of single island too and get same results. Maybe the lack of regular arma2-addons.

True. Addon of an island itself usualy does not contain models of all objects that were placed on the map.

Collecting the files required to use the original A2/OA islands.

Currently I've got Chernarus and Utes:

http://www.pastie.org/2772336

This gives a few issues with the UI (menu etc).

UI.pbo is required by Misc.pbo, which is required by some of the Island addons.

Didn't look yet if they are only required by the islands themselves and not the objects (in that case it would be fine for 3rd party addons probably).

Will look later for improvements.

---------- Post added at 12:30 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

OA original islands is harder, as the original pbo's require version > 1.01 of application :D

Warning Message: Addon CA_E_ParticleEffects requires version 1.04 of application.
Warning Message: Addon CA_E requires version 1.02 of application.
Warning Message: Addon Desert_E requires version 1.02 of application.
Warning Message: Addon Takistan requires version 1.02 of application. 

At the next patch the 1.02 requirement is probably resolved, but 1.04 should take longer... That error might actually not be a problem.

Edited by Sickboy

And add a "requiredBuild" attribute to the configs so that requiredVersion can be phased out. Comparing build numbers would make more sense.

OA original islands is harder, as the original pbo's require version > 1.01 of application :D

Hehe, awesome. Bet they didn't see that one coming. :p

And add a "requiredBuild" attribute to the configs so that requiredVersion can be phased out. Comparing build numbers would make more sense.

Supplemental perhaps - as e.g it would go wrong in case of betas where data usually is not available but exe build is :)

While the requiredVersion in addons is used not just for engine features but also data :)

---------- Post added at 14:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:57 ----------

Updated with some info on the OA islands; http://www.pastie.org/2772336

Hopefully the integration can be further improved in the future.

If only objects are needed and not the islands, then it might look somewhat better already.

Edited by Sickboy

Supplemental perhaps - as e.g it would go wrong in case of betas where data usually is not available but exe build is :)

While the requiredVersion in addons is used not just for engine features but also data :)

A valid point, but how often would such problems realistically occur? Addons and mods are almost exclusively released for builds where the data is also present, i.e. for full patches. And even if they were released for a beta build, the content creator would not have any data that the potential users do not.

The only case where this could concievably go wrong is if someone built their content against for example 1.60 after it is released, but for some reason set the requiredBuild number of the addon to lower than the 1.60 release build number. Then, someone with 1.59 and a beta build could concievably have problems when trying to use the addon in question. But in this case it would be the addon makers fault for misconfiguring his addon, and the users fault for not updating to the required version.

I don't see how the problem you describe could ever happen during normal real world usage. :)

I got Bushlurkers Lolona'i into TKOH with some creative config twiddling, Berghoffs African plants work without edits. I also tried Mondkalbs NAM, but that has got more A2 dependencies than I thought. It's running, but crashes and throws errors.

Which other islands use only their own stuff? Has anyone tried if the objects from A2/OA work?

You can just copy data from your Arma 2 AddOns folder into a modfolder until TKOH starts. It gives me lots of errors but it works ;)

takeonh2011-11-1214-2svu00.jpg

to get for example the summervegetation pack working you have to put it into a new mod folder and in the link extension after the first a2-modfolder to overwrite the default vegetation.

Hmm... How about the Sahrani pack that was used to port the original Sahrani to Arma 2? If I remember correctly it has all the buildings and objects it requires included.

That may work.

You can just copy data from your Arma 2 AddOns folder into a modfolder until TKOH starts. It gives me lots of errors but it works ;)

takeonh2011-11-1214-2svu00.jpg

you have right man! :yay:

Does it mean ArmA2 soldier/vehicle mods will also work with Take On?

Can you test?

Yes. Just load your A2 and OA Stuff in an Modfolder.

I load at first the A2 content, then OA and then Usermade stuff.

Works very well. Had a nice fly trough Clafghan today :D

please, could someone remind me the -mod syntax that allows me to use a mod folder from a different directory than Take on Helicopters. I would rather not copy multiple gigabytes of Arma2 content if I can avoid it.

thanks.

Will a 10 second Google search I found the syntax is:

-mod=c:/ArmA2/AddOns

Of course change it to point to your arma2 addons folder, which ever drive that may be.

Pretty simple, huh?

:)

Will a 10 second Google search I found the syntax is:

-mod=c:/ArmA2/AddOns

Of course change it to point to your arma2 addons folder, which ever drive that may be.

Pretty simple, huh?

:)

not so simple. may work for A2, but not for ToH.