Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Official Zombies ?

As far as I can remember there have been zombies by default in Arma 1 (one) vanilla. I think they were just normal civilians with an undead texture and seemingly they were primarily (?) meant to have decaying bodies ("this setdamage 1")

I know that BIS is working on Arma 3 now and they don't want to waste time on Arma 2 stuff now. Please don't flame me with threads containing the words "idiot", "stupid", "go away" and so on. I also know that vanilla Arma is focussed on the real world and that there are zombi mods and games like Dead Island and such (which I don't own).

Nevertheless it would be a very nice easter egg to have zombies in the vanilla Arma 2 game without the necessity of mods so that every Arma-2-player has them by default.

There might be three kinds of zombies:

1. slowly 'brainlessly' walking ones

2. fast and aggressively running and attacking ones (with hands/claws, maybe spitting poison) and

3. some kind of semi-humanoids such as in Far Cry 1 that are bigger and more musculous than normal persons and have their own implanted machine gun as a limb and with deep frightening grunting voices.

Number 1 and 2 might be only retextured soldiers which need a bit additional AI to perform melee attacks. Number 3 would need a new 3D model with the existing AI.

As I said, I know that Arma is focussed on reality, Arma 3 is being worked on now and that there are zombie mods out there. But even with "unrealistic" vanilla-enemies it would still be Arma (realistic movement, cover, ballistics, weapon handling, injuries/death and such) and not one of those arcade kiddy shooters.

Stupid idiot, go away, and so on... :p Sorry, but that was begging for it (and no, it wasn't meant offensive) :D

But still, no. Waste of resources where previous content quality shows resources are thin enough. Ref problems with BRDM seating and UH-1H gunnery sights to name just a couple.

"It would still be Arma", no I don't think so. At least I would think a lot less of the game, which I now consider quite serious, if they started mixing in monsters. Monsters were one of my pet hates of FarCry1, and many other games I would have liked more without monsters in them.

Also it could add additional memory overhead which most of us (I expect) doesn't want or need. This is one gap that needs to stay to separate it from the "arcade kiddy shooters". What mods do, I don't care. But keep it out of vanilla.

I would have loved to see a Halloween DLC pack with the undead and a few civilian weapons (like basic shotguns, hunting rifles, etc, nothing too militaristic). I'd be willing to pay for that.

As part of the stock game though, I'd probably say no just because, as Carl said, resources put towards that could definitely be put towards something more productive to the game as a whole and not one specific aspect that, in all honesty, probably wouldn't see too much use outside of a few hardcore fans.

i really don't get the hype about zombies, me....maybe i'm just getting old

Zombies are too overused everywhere these days. Same goes for aliens.

I'm more than happy with iranis and chinese

Please don't ruin this brand with ridiculous additions. It will be just a matter of time until you could use super-unrealistic-childish content made by some parts of the community after the release of the game.

There's no need to alienate the main core of the community who wish to keep the realistic warsim characterization of the game.

There are far more evil things than zombies that could make the game more atmospheric. I suggest we add these f*****s as enemies. If BIS manages to improve their AI with bio-experiments it will be cool!

1225800514852_f.jpg

gay_parade_moscow.jpg

1ZuK_wYrqp8

Why then are zombies in vanilla Arma 1? They even have the classname "zombie" as I can remember. They are just an easter egg and aren't even implemented in the vanilla editor's pull-down-menues. They could have been taken over into vanilla Arma 2. Of course they must not appear in any official mission... just as a alternative hidden tool.

I don't like mods. Amongst x players there are x+1 different game versions out there. And for every custom map you need a combination of 10^10 mods.

I know that they won't be implemented afterwards now. I just somehow felt the urge to utter that thought.

Edited by RogueTrooper

Why then are zombies in vanilla Arma 1?

They're NOT zombies, they are:

victims of the genocide occurring on Sahrani

and as such are integral to the storyline of the campaign.

Much like A2 has the

mass grave

objects.

Thinking about it, it seems to be a bit of a theme with BIS....

I don't like mods. Amongst x players there are x+1 different game versions out there. And for every custom map you need a combination of 10^10 mods.

I know that they won't be implemented afterwards now. I just somehow felt the urge to utter that thought.

Really?;)

Funnily enough if you unpack the charachters.pbo there are several zombie hll textures and rvmats.

One final statement after which we probably shouldn't bumb this thread further: while we are speaking of zombies... what about vampires, werewolves, orcs, ogres, witches? :D

what about vampires, werewolves, orcs, ogres, witches? :D

Come on, those are completely unrealistic.

ALL games should be shipped with a standard mode, a zombie mode (just shambling zombies headshot kills only) and a Star Wars mode. Of course, this would mean that modders would have to find a new hobby.

I'm not for this idea. ArmA is based on realism, if you don't like it, play another game. If you want zombies that bad, go make a mod or download some addons - that is the best part of ArmA. Besides, what do zombies have to do with Combat Simulation? I would of thought even RPG elements (batons, handcuffs) like someone else suggested would have more reason than this. My 5 cents.

Thank you for informing me that Arma is about realism. I didn't know that. Please stop those nonsense comments "if you don't like Arma..." and such. I do like Arma more than you, trust me.

I just asked about models being textured like the vanilla zombies in Arma 1 (the extra wishes concerning the mentioned FarCry zombies have just been a weird idea that I've uttered although I HAVE KNOWN BEFORE that it never will be done). Just some kind of easter egg that has not the faintest influence on other maps/mods. There is a lot more real-world-combat-stuff that might be added (knives, butt thrusts etc).

Couriously nobody wanted to have the 'unrealistic' Arma-1-vanilla-zombies removed from Arma 1 (I know that they have only been there to have decaying murdered civilians for the BIS campaign)...

Couriously nobody wanted to have the 'unrealistic' Arma-1-vanilla-zombies removed from Arma 1

I did.

Because the mere existence of zombies in an official release of a game makes me embarrassed to own it.

Once we had a proud community of clever individuals who like realism and cooperation. Now we have requests for zombies.

Couriously nobody wanted to have the 'unrealistic' Arma-1-vanilla-zombies removed from Arma 1 (I know that they have only been there to have decaying murdered civilians for the BIS campaign)...

If you know what they were used for, why would you even suggest removing them? Does it really matter to anyone what the classname/modelname(Cant remember what it was) is? :p

I did.

Because the mere existence of zombies in an official release of a game makes me embarrassed to own it.

Once we had a proud community of clever individuals who like realism and cooperation. Now we have requests for zombies.

Video games: super serious business.

About 30 years ago I saw some late night movie.

A fellow drove into a small town that he had not been to before.

At was almost dark and somebody ran across in front of his car and the car hit him!

Our hero stopped but there was no injured person to be found. He went to the police to report it.

The next morning the car was inspected and some flesh was found.

It was human flesh but strangely it was dead flesh! It has been dead for quite some time!

There had been a hit and run months ago so the police questioned him but advised him to remain in a hotel and not to leave town!

A few creepy things happened and he found that after dark he was under threat from zombies!

With an explanation for that dead flesh he went to the police to find that they too were zombies!

He rushed to get away but strangely the zombies were not after him. One tried to befriend him.

Only then did our hero realise that he was dead and he too was a zombie! Aaaaaaaarg!

If there are to be zombies in the game they need to be modelled to correct Army / Marine specifications to accuratly reflect real life ones.