Sign in to follow this  
canukausiuka

Issues using new ballistic computer for artillery

I've recently added the new artillery computer to some mortars, and I hope to extend it to howitzers and rockets soon, but I wanted to get some help here, first. I've managed (after much trial and error) to get my systems to use the artillery computer.

As a note to anyone else trying to do this, there are some less-than-obvious requirements. The one that had me hung up for hours was the ammo definition. I was starting with a small, 60mm mortar, and the AI would not use it until the "hit" value was high enough (I have NO idea why that's a requirement for the AI to fire). Once I upped the "hit" value to 100, they began engaging wonderfully (the BIS 81mm WP round has a "hit" of 35, hence the AI won't use it).

Now my remaining hiccup is trying to get the AI to use the mortars when not directed by a player. None of the usual fire, commandFire, doFire, or even the new fireAtTarget seem to get the AI to use this new system. Right now I'm back to old OFP tricks of doing the ballistic solution myself and hoping for the best (which is giving mixed results at best). Because the engine can now calculate the ballistic solution, surely there is some way to access that solution from a script.

I had hoped that the above commands would automatically use the new system, but they do not. Has anyone had any success in using the new system for non-player-directed artillery (rather than the ARTY module, which I'm trying to avoid, as it's much more difficult to setup, both in config and mission making)?

Edited by Canukausiuka
Called the artillery computer the ballstics computer

On a similar note, is there any way to get the artillery computer to find the low-angle solution? I've got some artillery pieces which don't do high-angle solutions, and the artillery computer keeps telling me they cannot hit locations I know they can.

For now, I am making reasonable progress on scripting it myself, but if there was an easier way, I'd sure like to know it.

Edited by Canukausiuka
Was calling the "artillery computer" the "ballistics computer"

What and where is the ballistics computer, I tried searching and found nothing.

What and where is the ballistics computer, I tried searching and found nothing.

It's the part of OA that allows artillery to be used w/o the "Arty Module". If you are the gunner, you just go to the action labeled "Artillery Computer", and it brings up a map and dialog. You select the charge (varies the muzzle velocity) and click on the map, then click fire... the game automatically determines the solution. And if you command one, you can select the gun and point at a target (either on the map or visually), and order the gun to "Fire at target", which will have the AI do the shooting.

It's pretty easy to code in, too, but I have found a lot of odd limitations (such as: the hit of the shell must be >100, only high-angle solutions allowed). It is not as realistic as the original Arty Module, but its much much easier for a mission editor to implement and for a player to use.

Edited by Canukausiuka
It's called "Artillery Computer" ingame.