Sign in to follow this  
CriminalMinds

Grand Theft Auto V

I must say, car physics and handling worsened since GTA IV. Crashes now simply stop both cars, you can't go on a rampage with a truck a-la Terminator 2, there's very little visible damage, I don't even think you can fly out the front window.

I must say, car physics and handling worsened since GTA IV. Crashes now simply stop both cars, you can't go on a rampage with a truck a-la Terminator 2, there's very little visible damage, I don't even think you can fly out the front window.

Yup , cars got nerfed - damage and driving wise

driving got way too easy than it was in IV , i liked the driving in IV more because it was more challenging - maybe that's why Rockstar changed that because tons of whiners that couldn't drive in IV ...

at least they could leave the damage as it was in IV , but no that's been lowered because again whiners coundn't get anywhere without destroying the car FPDR

it's a big shame

I bought the master race version of GTA V after never purchasing for any of the consoles. After 20+ hours of mostly multiplayer action I can honestly say I love this game. Stupid team members are an issue, but the same issue you see in plenty of online games. The answer is also the same, and that's join a group and play with like-minded people. My biggest issue in multiplayer is that I don't think they're doing any ping discrimination. I hear plenty of people talking in Russian and Chinese, which would be fine, except that their ping can cause massive lag during missions. If they tried to group people by geography I think it would work much better.

Yup , cars got nerfed - damage and driving wise

driving got way too easy than it was in IV , i liked the driving in IV more because it was more challenging - maybe that's why Rockstar changed that because tons of whiners that couldn't drive in IV ...

at least they could leave the damage as it was in IV , but no that's been lowered because again whiners coundn't get anywhere without destroying the car FPDR

it's a big shame

I feel the same, really liked the driving in GTA 4. You could even see clear differences between cars with and without ABS.

I agree too, still fun to play but driving/damage model from GTA 4 would be much better. But at least the game is still much better than watch dogs. Bit downside that they seem to have blocked modding and the big traffic amount showed in PC trailer was false advertising. There is slider for traffic but its already full as default. Not game breaker but would be fun to have more dense traffic.

Still could be the old consoles added much restrictions. Also the melee system is very simple, always the same animations playing even they have the superb dynamic ragdoll system. Would wish there would be separate buttons for puching, kicking and blocking, and no premade results.

Still amazing game, cant wait to see how the next gta will look if they abandon old-consoles. They could design it to use much more memory for gameplay features.

The performance, and the usage across cores is excellent.

I'm not really into the grand theft auto thing, personally, but it has been very enjoyable playing in a large-open world with a capable engine (from what I have seen so far).

I actually like the new driving and damage model. GTA is not supposed to be a racing simulation in my opinion. Yes, it's a bit easier but it allows for a more fun and fast driving. Also love that there's always a car at the house which can't get lost. And that cars are automatically repaired during a cutscene. And you can still fly through the windshield, already happened to me a few times.

There are actually buttons for hitting and kicking. When engaging someone hold right mouse button to focus the target and then you can hit with left mouse button and kick with Q. Not sure if there still are these combos from GTA IV though. But overall, I like how seamless it is. Really a pleasure to beat someone up, even from first person. :devil:

Thanks need to try that :) - not definitely wanting iRacing simulation feel but closer how it was in IV. I think that was near perfect arcade driving model.

I actually like the new driving and damage model. GTA is not supposed to be a racing simulation in my opinion.

Your car cannot even roll over any more.

It was the trademark of GTA franchise. Your car rolls over, it is dead. You had to be careful in chases, avoid ramps, control your speed. Now it magically ends up on all four wheels.

It was the trademark of GTA franchise. Your car rolls over, it is dead. You had to be careful in chases, avoid ramps, control your speed. Now it magically ends up on all four wheels.

Reminds me of Arma 3, is it really that bad?

I've had a roll-over a few times already, forcing me to change my vehicle. Might be harder to get one though.^^

it will roll over, but you hold "a" or "d" to tip it back on all 4 wheels.

In most cases it rolls back over anyways. Even if there's no inertia on the car. Feels like the game is assisting me.

it will roll over, but you hold "a" or "d" to tip it back on all 4 wheels.

Really? oO I always just hit F to get out and find a new ride...

Really? oO I always just hit F to get out and find a new ride...

Yep. I had a rollover the other day, and noticed the little hint popup.

Reminds me of Arma 3, is it really that bad?

Losing a vehicle to being flipped upside down is next to impossible.

I haven't played GTA 4, but destroying your own cars in GTA V is nearly impossible.

even getting trapped in tight spots is pretty easy to wiggle out of.

It's not a game breaker but there really isn't much worry about losing vehicles to reckless driving.

So I finally turned the Story with all main missions and most of Strangers & Freaks on Gold and I have to say it is a marvel of a game. If you haven't played it yet on console then it is a must buy. One of the most complete games of last decade I would say. If you already played it on consoles then you might want to look around net to find a good price on a key and try it out one more time with mouse & keyboard as well as of course, prettier graphics.

Cars are a bit easier to drive in some ways but do not suffer from horrendous understear that a lot of cars do in IV. Regarding damage, you can still mess your car up like in IV but at greater impacts. Which in a way is more realistic since modern cars do transfer energy around them more efficiently. Damage actually affects handling, wheels get stuck in a wrecked bumpers/bodywork, etc. Quite well done.

Airplanes are a blast to fly, granted very arcady but you can't expect much more from GTA. Helicopters on the other hand wobble a lot (some more, others less) for some reason. It gets better when your flying skill is maxed out (complete Flying School - doesn't take long). I found it impossible to fly with mouse though, not at all like in Arma. Maybe I should give it more practice.

Most disappointing are motorbikes imo. They were great in IV, good balance between how fast you can go trough traffic and risk. In V they are like in TBoGT. You still get thrown off when you crash and whatnot but handling is very stiff. Way too easy to drive and not very satisfying. Dirt bike is probably most enjoyable in terms of realism.

All in all, driving on country side roads is awesome, atmosphere feels a lot like old NFS games (pre 2003).

As already mentioned by various reviews and previews you have ton of options and performance is good, at least for me. I played in 1st person when of foot and in 3rd in vehicles. Also, auto switch to 3rd when in cover.

Shooting is... well its GTA but best in series. There is some visual recoil if you go into iron sights/scope mode to offer some challenge for those who want it. Otherwise its pretty much spot on spraying up to ~10 rounds when shooting skill is maxed out (complete Ammo-Nation challenges). If not, there is some scope sway for snipers, greater bullet bloom, etc.

Weapon customization is very welcome and suppressors really make a difference to stealth as does range for unsuppressed sniper rifles.

Vehicle customization is also great, finally no more random paintjob. Some racing games could pick up a thing or two.

My only gripe is mission challenges. Some of them are ridiculous and of course I had to complete all of them in one go which ment restarting whole mission. Often way too many times. Also you have to skip cutscenes to meet time challenge which is just stupid.

I wanted to try out Online but was afraid I would be met by bunch of random Trevors so I'll rather try it out during weekend with few buddies.

Edited by Janez

bunch of random Trevors

:D

This comment made my day, Trevor is indeed comparable to some players in many online games, whatever their misery is its always your fault and you never know what to expect from them (besides the obligatory random insults).

And playing GTA from first person is kind of weird but very interesting once in a while. I find myself switching to first person more often while driving.

And playing GTA from first person is kind of weird but very interesting once in a while. I find myself switching to first person more often while driving.

I must say I'm actually doing that all the time by now. Driving, running, shooting - first person feels really cool in GTA. Only problem I've encountered is driving backwards. Any of you chaps knows if there's a graphics setting to get functioning car mirrors? They're pretty useless by now and just show generic pictures instead of what's really going on behind you.

I wish they would fix some of the pc controls. I've noticed that flying is extremely rubbery, and the camera doesn't snap to center as quickly when driving. But, I started using an xbox controller for driving and flying and it is night and day difference. It's just kind of a pain to switch back and forth, b/c I can't aim with a gamepad :)

I have to try flying with a controller, so far I find flying in ArmA a lot easier than in GTA 5 :D

As for driving with first person view, you can move the mouse so that you can see behind your shoulder but the view is still very limited, functioning mirrors would be cool indeed but I guess ill need a new grafics card for them to work first.

The game just wont allow me to set up higher grafics settings.