Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

Community-created ArmA Training Videos, Literature, Scenarios, & Other Resources

I'm creating this thread in order to have a place for anyone in the community, be they an MP or SP player, to have a one-stop place to contribute as well as look for training material regarding the ArmA series. Many communities out there produce their own training videos, literature, missions, and so forth, and as far as I can tell there hasn't really been a good place where one can go to contribute their part in an accessible, visible fashion.

I would like to see this thread act as not only a repository of links/videos/etc, but also a place to discuss training, perhaps even for people to request training material on certain topics. As we all know, there is a lot of depth to ArmA, and with as multi-national of a community as ours, there are many ways to approach a given topic. :)

I'll start off with some of my community's works in this respect. Our most recent filmed training events follow. While these are based on ACE2, they apply in part to vanilla or other mods as well.

Videos

AH-1W Cobra Training with Dslyecxi. This video covers the employment of the AH-1W TOW Cobra, though the concepts introduced in it apply to various other attack helicopters.

TxXsfbXGQyY

Fireteam Leadership with Bricks. The 'practical application' portion of a Fireteam Leadership course hosted by Bricks.

YauJU3WcxxM

Anti-Tank Gunnery with Bricks. All sorts of ACE-oriented AT weapon usage.

SEIeEG7ttKI

Scenarios

I made a training scenario for my favorite aircraft some time back - you can see a video of it below, and also can find the full scenario for download from this thread. Note that this assumes the OA-style MH-6 (ie: top speed of ~140kph), not the more recent ACE2 style (~250kph). My group uses the OA-style M/AH-6 at this time for various reasons, though.

7ThNyR_fY0M

Literature

As far as actual written literature goes, I have my ArmA2 Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures Guide (TTP2).

It's your turn!

That's a good look at what we've done in A2 as of late. I look forward to seeing what everyone else has been cooking up. :)

Edited by Dslyecxi

Literature

Random Article Time!

by Ryan, 25th October 2011

Arma. CQB. Always fun, huh? Dying constantly then ragequitting. Room battles become a case of who can camp the doorway. Maybe this technique will help you out.

As you've all read Dslyecxi's guide (:rolleyes:) you would of probably heard of the 'Run the Rabbit' technique... I wanted to expand on this a little bit today... with pictures!

Let's start with the type of opponent. He is aware, and he is expecting you to come through that room, he has trained his weapon onto the fatal funnel (this is known as a Door Ambush). If you can't engage him from outside or use any kind of multiplyer to destroy him and you and your team must go in there then this is a risky but very offensive and dynamic tactic for a high-risk entry.

For this to work you need to mixture of temporary surprise and aggression in the face of danger with speed and efficient teamwork.

The first man into the room is the Rabbit, he jolts into the room full-sprint and thereby distracts the main enemy firing arc towards the centre of the room onto him. He keeps moving in a 11, 12 or 1 o'clock arc (depending on obstacles) and once half to three quarters of the way into the room, begins to sweep into it, with his head and weapon on a swivel, until he finds the target and engages.

As he moves in, the numbers two and three move in, normally by buttonhook fashion, and begin clear each hard corner then sweep into the room; I might add in a see-and-shoot fashion, if you have an enemy in your arc then engage, do not clear the hard corner to only come back to a live target to engage - this is unrealistic training.

As the first man in stays near the centre or 11, 12 or 1 o'clock axis of the room then he shall not be in any friendlies line of fire. (In Theory, as always :p)

baittechniqueedit.jpg

As demonstrated: Centre-fed B&R.

Good things to know.... if your buddy, the pointman/rabbit, takes fire from the left or right side then the second man instantly clears that hard and easy corner. It gives you real-time information, though with short notice, to where your enemy is and how many. It also allows the rabbit to sweep that sector of the room first before any other, once the standard penetration length has been achieved.

baittechnique3.jpg

Splat!

Distract, make time, and work as a team to take out the target.

Remember: Bring spare bandages, this is a high risk technique and will probably either develop a WIA or KIA. Work on it as a team, and practice or modify it to make it fit your scenarios. We make the Rabbit go prone, fake an entry and all kinds of things.

It is still classified a tactic because it has a higher success rate than conventional entries within an offensive environment (as opposed to a stealthily one) and creates enough time and space for victory. No tactic is perfect.

Questions and Answers

Sorry if I may of confused anybody who is new or has not been taught about any of what was previously discussed. I may as well add on and try to answer some expected questions and avoid confusion.

Why is the picture called 'Bait and Reel' and not 'Running the Rabbit'?

Because we're Australian. And we're upside down.

What is a hard corner?

A "Hard Corner" can be defined as the corner(s) that is on the same wall as the door. Picture below demonstrating Hard Corner(s) on both corner and centre-fed walls.

68585385.png

I guess there is a no brainer for people to also figure out where the "Deep Corner(s)" are located. They are also known as the "Easy Corner(s)", big clue.

What is a buttonhook?

A room-entry technique in which 2 operators quickly and aggressively step around the doorframe and well to the inside (that should be out of the "fatal funnel" zone) to the respective door, facing to which the operator was originally lined up beside.

Buttonhook.jpg

Videos

zkYijlPQ8Bo

dvivxjVWnmg

I play with United Operations on a regular basis under the alias Rich, and have been recording as many of their UOTC (United Operations Training Center) courses as possible. A couple of my earlier videos have chatroom sounds in the back, but the rest are fine. I'll be re-recording my old videos since I've gotten a new, larger monitor, and I would like to not have those videos interrupted by the annoying chatroom sounds.

These are all the videos I have online as of this post. I don't expect myself to keep this post updated, so if you're interested in seeing more in the future visit my YouTube channel, or go over to the United Operations forum, and in the UOTC subforum I have a thread that I do update as new videos are uploaded.

NOTE:

1. Some of my older videos (mainly the navigation course) have IM sounds in the background. I forgot the mute to chatroom I was in in the background. Sorry. I did my best to edit these out in a couple other videos.

2. I won't upload a course unless I've recorded the entire thing.

3. Godhand cuts out in a lot of the videos due to previous ACRE issues. There's nothing I could do about it.

4. My voice is not recorded in any of the videos because my microphone picks up a lot of background noise, and my room is noisy.

Navigation Course:

rSrX5R8FyPo

Fireteam Operations Course:

3oJ3pQfgiOc

Fireteam Leaders Course:

nwVo2hIT8Ns

Basic Armored Crewmans Course:

rt11r9V6ouA

Radio Operator Training Course:

5jf0S8xGCgw

Rotory Wing Pilot Course:

yo7Gzc7InbI

Reconnaissance Course:

rM68h3Zu2Yw

Basic Gunnery Course (60mm/M119/M109):

kMHWcJV8rKo

Edited by Romeo_Delta

Detailed Tank Tutorial (German Only) - by Odium

All details and Appendix can be found in the video description on Youtube.

It was Tonic who first made us aware of this great training vid from Odium.

5dYnva-SGKk

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

Indeed worthy of a sticky! :)

Though it is kind of crowded up there. Merge together some of the patch threads perhaps?

I've seen quite a few of the videos Dslyecxi have posted. They are very informal.

I need to follow up on the rest of the videos here though. ;)

Edited by colossus

Hey this is great stuff.

I recommend to make the thread sticky

+1

Top thread guru's keep it up!

3ysG8Cmy1eM

OCB's training video's, very good. The same goes with the G36 sight in this series, you fit the target within the markings from head to toe and it will give you an accurate range out to 800M.

Helicopter Air Assault Tactics + Drills

_1xxlSNhpBg

General Interest: Why tanks are a certain size nowadays

XA-HLfTb-co

Edited by DaveP

I have to ask this one here. What are some effective tactics for defeating machinegun nests? I'm more directed at close range or urban settings but I'm not fussed on a generalised answer.

1. Bring in a Tank or some other armoured vehicle

2. Bring in Air support

3. Flank it

4. Blow it up with a HE Rocket Launcher

5. Have a sniper take it out

This is an awesome idea...thank you to everyone for sharing!

1. Bring in a Tank or some other armoured vehicle

2. Bring in Air support

3. Flank it

4. Blow it up with a HE Rocket Launcher

5. Have a sniper take it out

Well, yes. :p

Ever tried to blow it up and the rocket did jackcrap? :o Creates a shitfight.

We normally wait until it reloads, pop smoke, use support assets or those you stated if we're desperate.

They have a wide arc, and normally at closer ranges they pin you to the point of no cover = death, movement to try outflank = death. We try to get two moving in opposite flank directions to distract, if we're in a crapfight... if we're not then we just back out of there on our bellies (that is to say the whole team can do, if not those people who can take out the MG).

Well, yes. :p

Ever tried to blow it up and the rocket did jackcrap? :o Creates a shitfight.

We normally wait until it reloads, pop smoke, use support assets or those you stated if we're desperate.

They have a wide arc, and normally at closer ranges they pin you to the point of no cover = death, movement to try outflank = death. We try to get two moving in opposite flank directions to distract, if we're in a crapfight... if we're not then we just back out of there on our bellies (that is to say the whole team can do, if not those people who can take out the MG).

Why did you ask if you already knew how to take out a machine gun nest? :confused:

Why did you ask if you already knew how to take out a machine gun nest? :confused:

Other peoples ideas. If anyone has thought of something new or creative. They are my hell... same goes with IED's.

The problem with Armas MG nests is that they can take to much damage and the gunner is to safe. A HE Rocket from a SMAW Launcher should rip that thing apart IRL....

The other big problem is that you can´t supress static weapons

Does anyone have any good I44/WW2 style tactics? Especially interested in some SOP's that were used by units during Close Quarters Combat.

A few of my recent works relating to training material

Premiere episode of the video supplements to my TTP guides:

My 'Art of Flight' series:

CCIP/CCRP in ACE2: