Sign in to follow this  
Cookieeater

ArmA III as a Real Time Strategy game?

Watching some

gameplay has made me thought about ArmA III being a RTS game. A genre that ArmA could very easily be transformed into would be the RTS genre. When I was playing Warfare, I have a feeling that if Bohemia improved the high command UI, and added a real-time camera similar to World in Conflict or Starcraft, they could create an entirely different way to play ArmA that could attract a much larger audience and create a spawn of mods and scenarios. It'd be very easy to create an RTS style camera that'd allow players to control units and not let them see enemy units, by only showing enemy units to the player's camera when they are reported out by AI.

I always thought it would be cool to have one player be "high command" and have real-time satellite imagery, and be able to give orders/map updates/waypoints to other players in real time.

I would imagine that a more micromanagement based RTS would be more appropriate for an ARMA game, if it was ever to be converted to an RTS, i.e. less focus on building up a base, resources etc. and instead make it in a similar vein as DOW2 (though obviously be much more realistic)

Edited by Rocklobster
wording issues

BIS games are also a framework which you can tweak to get a game you like.

There's no doubt something similar to WOO will be made for ArmA3.

Considering the futuristic setting, it's not unlikely that a real time satellite map will be available somehow. Just use it in conjunction with stock High Command system and you'll get an RTS you want (how good it'd be depends on BIS fixing the HC system and AI).

Personally, I'd like to see the coin interface like this, but nothing more. I don't want for commander which can see behind montains and forests and detect enemy forces there))

Personally, I'd like to see the coin interface like this, but nothing more. I don't want for commander which can see behind montains and forests and detect enemy forces there))

An easy way to solve this is to only show enemy forces when your AI reports them and marks them on the map. The commander could go and look around the entire map in real-time, yet would only see the enemies when the AI he's controlling sees them. If the AI that the commander is controlling doesn't see these units, they are invisible to the camera.

Would be a very cool idea. I think it should be possible with the engine.

A commander could detect units by satellite or UAV, but not tell if they're enemy or civilian. Also, camouflaged units would be difficult to spot.

Or you can tie camera to units (and buildings) under your command , allowing you to move it in non-cheaty enough radius from that selected unit - if fog of war is too much to handle

As much as the focus should be set to the main things, I feel BIS could flesh out this area in many ways.

Polish off high command (Iron out issues with swapping dying and not taking over HC correctly and adding some better features for more control), attach it to a mini map (that can control HC in cam or minimap) with a camera that can move as COIN or as WOO does at the moment and throw in fog of war, add nice tailored menus and extra frills with graphics, slap it in a game mode with some SP AI & MP and "bobs your uncle" as they say in the UK.

So far WOO and High command and some camera scripts incl the most basic form I threw together are fragmented, tie them all together correctly and its already good to go.

I would like to see BIS do what they tried with Mike Melvin and get someone in to create this game mode as they did with Warfare mode, all elements are there.

While I have no idea how RL military comms works -would be fun to have information relayed up the chain of command such as enemy spotted; engaged; troop morale; area cleared etc...

One thing that slipped my mind amongst all of this, BIS are responsible for the ongoing Carrier Command project which is pure RTS.

So, Im wondering if they will leave this idea becuase they can be kept separate (IE: you want RTS go buy Carrier Command). Or better still, if they have teams working in that mindset, hopefully get them to implement similar but more stripped down features into a "game mode" for Arma3, even if that game mode comes supplied after initial release/main focus.

I stress "game mode" as allot of other places where the RTS ideas have popped up in Arma2 threads its been confused with "turning arma into an RTS" which isn't the request.

Edited by mrcash2009

Hi, i wouldn't play to the ArmA3 as a RTS, i see the BIS OFP/ArmA series as a different entertainment, more focused or just focused on the squad based tactical action; the CTI game mode is something that i avoid with all my heart because i find it terribly boring, same will happen with it as a RTS and the EVO is as far as i gonna get to the CTI or RTS, for me booth game modes, the RTS is terribly boring and over all the CTI that's the most boring thing that i've ever seen on a FPS game.

The High Command mode missions on the ArmA2 campaign made me give up with 'em for months before finnish 'em because of the boring that they were and don't want to pass by that again. Let's C ya

Hi.

I'd like to see something like mission planning from Rainbow 6 (first + Raven Shield) but with the ability to change plan during mission. It was really cool, you can control 3 teams by simply issuing codes (alfa, beta, ...) on which other teams are waiting. I'm not sure if this is used in military IRL but in R6 CQB missions it was really great. Unfortunately this original feature is missing in latest R6... all OMG-ninja-speshul-forcaz games.

But Wipman as I was trying to make clear its a game mode, like any optional style of play in Arma, you dont like it, you dont play it .. clearly you wouldn't be a fan and that part if available you wouldn't use.

No one here mentioned that this has to be in the campaign either, that wasn't an issue with HC that was (in my view) not great judgement on BIS mission/campaign usage of it. There were HC based scenarios which I would say would be the best way to plug HC than campaign even in Arma3, so if RTS game mode or system did apply to Arma3 I would agree on it being sectioned off from Campaign and just under a mode or system to be added to scenarios only.

The rest is the choice of server admins and searching elsewhere if they used it.

I do agree its not going to be "everyone's cup of tea" .. but its not an alien concept to the engine usage and style of play that has cropped up in Arma2 already in missions.

Edited by mrcash2009