Sign in to follow this  
logandog1240

will arma 3 have more unique enviromental distortion

As in will enviroments be more than just different colored pixels?

will a bomb going off in snow look different than going off in sand

will snow really be SNOW or just white ground?

what i mean by that is will the enviroment actually simulate enviroment. not a single explosion always look the same. if i set a bomb off in the snow it would look different than if i did it in sand. or if i landed a helicopter in snow the rotor was would look different than if i did it on concrete

As in, will an explosive device going off in grass+sand look different that an explosive device going of in just sand. Will an explosive device going of near or on top of a rock destroy the rock and look like bits of rock or will it just be smoke or whatever. That's what logandog1240 is asking.

logandog1240, I'd go ahead and post this in the suggestions thread, because I bet the answer is probably "no".

As in, will an explosive device going off in grass+sand look different that an explosive device going of in just sand. Will an explosive device going of near or on top of a rock destroy the rock and look like bits of rock or will it just be smoke or whatever. That's what logandog1240 is asking.

logandog1240, I'd go ahead and post this in the suggestions thread, because I bet the answer is probably "no".

This brings up the questions: Will there be better environmental and terrain destruction?

I always did find it odd that after a full scale battle, there were no traces of it left when all the troops moved out. No tank tracks or burned grass. Luckily we do have destroyed bldgs, knocked down trees and dead bodies.

I always did find it odd that after a full scale battle, there were no traces of it left when all the troops moved out. No tank tracks or burned grass. Luckily we do have destroyed bldgs, knocked down trees and dead bodies.

The big thing that's missing in my opinion is cratering when large explosions go off.

The big thing that's missing in my opinion is cratering when large explosions go off.

*cough*frostbite*cough*

would be sweet though.

Remeber Arma 1 tech demo :)

I wonder what it contained.

Hi, there won't be destructable ground other than tear down buildings, walls and trees; in the same way that there wont be an option to dig real trenches, sink the wheels of the cars and trucks on the mud (as there won't be mud) and things like that. AFAIK the field/ground will be exactly the same as always, hard ground to crash with.

The computer required to simulate a modable ground surface because weather changes or player/AI interaction is something that hasn't been invented yet, so the leak of it is more a hardware related thing than a software related thing. Let's C ya

Atleast we get some much improofed physics. And I hope Tanks will no longer fly in the Air like Paperplanes cause they hit a little rock ^^

The computer required to simulate a modable ground surface because weather changes or player/AI interaction is something that hasn't been invented yet, so the leak of it is more a hardware related thing than a software related thing. Let's C ya

The frostbite engine has modifiable ground. So does the engine that runs COH (can't remember the name of it). So I don't think that is true...

The frostbite engine has modifiable ground. So does the engine that runs COH (can't remember the name of it). So I don't think that is true...

I bet wipman's only played ArmA. Otherwise, that statement wouldn't have been made... Wipman must also live in a cave and hasn't seen any of the BF3 commercials, because that's the biggest thing BF3 promoted.

I bet wipman's only played ArmA. Otherwise, that statement wouldn't have been made... Wipman must also live in a cave and hasn't seen any of the BF3 commercials, because that's the biggest thing BF3 promoted.

Hi, wrong, i'd seen the comercials of that arcade; but the terrain that we're talking about on the ArmA3 is much much bigger than any BF3 or Frostbite 2 Engine terrain, the computer required for such thing is too big for have it at home if you plan to apply it to the ArmA3 terrain; that's much bigger than the BF3 maps all together.

Other thing that i'd noticed of the BF3, is that you can't always make craters on the ground, only on certain (most) ground surfaces, but not on it all and only up to a point; on the BF3 seems that drop a bomb from a plane is as shoot three times to the ground with a MBT and that's all the deep that you gonna reach. The 1500Lbs bombs do 12m deep holes IRL; you don't gonna see that on any game. In comparison... the BF3 levels are very small at the side of the ArmA, ArmA2, OA & sure that the ArmA3 islands too. Let's C ya

There was some modifiable terrain mod thingy for Arma a while back, but I think the idea was abandoned for lack of usable application due to the rather course terrain densities we have, which of course is a function of having extremely large terrain.

Hi, wrong, i'd seen the comercials of that arcade; but the terrain that we're talking about on the ArmA3 is much much bigger than any BF3 or Frostbite 2 Engine terrain, the computer required for such thing is too big for have it at home if you plan to apply it to the ArmA3 terrain; that's much bigger than the BF3 maps all together.

Other thing that i'd noticed of the BF3, is that you can't always make craters on the ground, only on certain (most) ground surfaces, but not on it all and only up to a point; on the BF3 seems that drop a bomb from a plane is as shoot three times to the ground with a MBT and that's all the deep that you gonna reach. The 1500Lbs bombs do 12m deep holes IRL; you don't gonna see that on any game. In comparison... the BF3 levels are very small at the side of the ArmA, ArmA2, OA & sure that the ArmA3 islands too. Let's C ya

You do know the developers set parameters for the game right? For example the depth of craters. Also it sounds to me you are making a blind statement (you have no evidence to back it up). From my knowledge having a large landmass under the frostbite engine would only decrease performance because of the large amounts of objects it would have to load (just like arma). So I don't think size matters when it comes to distortion.

Without local subdivision on demand or displacement, off course size matters. Move a vertex, and the end result depends greatly on how close neighboring vertexes are.