Sign in to follow this  
blakeace

Blake's AI Forward Observer

Thx for that release and your effort updateing it!

As Iron Front is getting on track again, you can imagine an AI observer offers several features for a mission aswell.

Would it be possible to release a version as script version only, as we cant load mods into IF44.

Thx for that release and your effort updateing it!

As Iron Front is getting on track again, you can imagine an AI observer offers several features for a mission aswell.

Would it be possible to release a version as script version only, as we cant load mods into IF44.

Thanks I'm glad you like it, no I'm not looking at creating a script version, being a constant work in progress it is a pain to try and maintain different versions for everything sorry.

I have a question, does this work with any artillery pieces placed (including other mods, assuming they use the artillery computer) or does it only work with ACE/BI standard mortars and artillery?

Wanted to search the thread initially to see if it was answered but didn't exactly know what to search.

First, this is a great addon. Definitely in the forehead-smacking-why-isn't-this-in-the-core-game category.

That said, am I completely confused, or is this not correct:

Installation:

Install as you would any other addon. (Check the BIS forums if unsure!). This addon is server side only.

How can this addon be server-side only if it uses a module? As it is, I am getting the expected error message when testing on dedi - "'You cannot play/edit this mission, it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.aifo".

I'd love to use this in a particular mission (well, most missions!), but requiring yet another addon client-side is going to disqualify it from use on my clan server. Is a script version possible?

Thanks!

I have a question, does this work with any artillery pieces placed (including other mods, assuming they use the artillery computer) or does it only work with ACE/BI standard mortars and artillery?

Wanted to search the thread initially to see if it was answered but didn't exactly know what to search.

To be honest I have no idea, I don't create addons to know what makes the artillery piece compatible with the bis artillery module. I do know the ACE 60mm mortar didn't work when I tested a long time ago.

First, this is a great addon. Definitely in the forehead-smacking-why-isn't-this-in-the-core-game category.

That said, am I completely confused, or is this not correct:

How can this addon be server-side only if it uses a module? As it is, I am getting the expected error message when testing on dedi - "'You cannot play/edit this mission, it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted.aifo".

I'd love to use this in a particular mission (well, most missions!), but requiring yet another addon client-side is going to disqualify it from use on my clan server. Is a script version possible?

Thanks!

Sorry Harzach I'm not a server admin expert to answer this properly. I was under the impression that was the case as the code only runs on the server, with no part running on any client. As a precaution I have removed that sentence from the first post thanks. No there isn't a script version.

Sorry Harzach I'm not a server admin expert to answer this properly. I was under the impression that was the case as the code only runs on the server, with no part running on any client. As a precaution I have removed that sentence from the first post thanks. No there isn't a script version.

No worries!

As it uses an addon module, any mission using it becomes dependent upon the addon, so clients need to be running it as well. The effect is the same as if you tried to open the mission in the editor or play the mission locally without the mod enabled. A script version could allow it to run server-side only, but this may be low on your list of priorities.

Anyway, thanks again!

Blake, if you could publish the minimum and maximum ranges of the various artillery pieces, it would be an immense boon.

Blake, if you could publish the minimum and maximum ranges of the various artillery pieces, it would be an immense boon.

The module will give you the min and max range of it's artillery types plus the distance between where you have placed the module to the position of the first FO unit you synced to the module.

You just need to add this to the init field in the AI FO module.

this setvariable ["debug",true,false];

Sometimes you may need to restart the mission as I forgot to place a pause in to allow the values to be found :o In the next version I have included a small sleep to make it more reliable.

I have also added the markers in the next version to give a better visual reference when placing units and using the debug feature.

The other option is with any artillery piece, place it down sync it with the default BIS artillery module and place the following in the modules init field.

Note: this is nothing to do with my module other than a way to find an artillery unit ranges.

sh = this spawn
{
sleep 5;
	[_this,"HE"] CALL BIS_ARTY_F_LoadMapRanges;
sleep 0.1;
hint format ["MIN: %1\nMAX: %2",_this getvariable "ARTY_MIN_RANGE",_this getvariable "ARTY_MAX_RANGE"];
_markerstr = createMarker["markername",getpos _this];
_markerstr setMarkerShape "ELLIPSE";
_markerstr setMarkerSize [_this getvariable "ARTY_MIN_RANGE", _this getvariable "ARTY_MIN_RANGE"];
_markerstr setMarkerBrush "Border";
_markerstr setMarkerColor "ColorBlue";
_markerstr2 = createMarker["markername2",getpos _this];
_markerstr2 setMarkerShape "ELLIPSE";
_markerstr2 setMarkerSize [_this getvariable "ARTY_MAX_RANGE", _this getvariable "ARTY_MAX_RANGE"];
_markerstr2 setMarkerBrush "Border";
_markerstr2 setMarkerColor "ColorBlue";
};

I use a sleep command at the beginning as I have found the BIS_ARTY_LOADED object variable doesn't seem to get set for some reason?

Updated 1.4.02

New version available on the first post.

Added: Distance given in "debug" mode is referenced to the first artillery unit synced to the module if using placed units. Module is used for dynamically placed units.

Added: Marker range circles showing ranges when using "debug" mode.

Improved: FO's will now only call missions from one battery at a time if they are synced to multiple AI FO modules. If using multiple batteries and FO's will more likely spread the fire missions around the different FO's better.

This addon works as advetized, awesome.. unfortunately the scud is unresponsive to it. I also mistook compatibility with Vilas' howitzers. seems the unit must have a computer to work with the mod.

Edited by Pulstar

This addon works as advetized, awesome.. unfortunately the scud is unresponsive to it. I also mistook compatibility with Vilas' howitzers. seems the unit must have a computer to work with the mod.

I expect this mod to use the Arma2 artillery module, not the Arma2OA artillery computer (which is really troublesome to use by AI groups).

The SCUD, AFAIK, has no ballistics data for the Arma2 artillery module. Recent releases of Vilas' P85 howitzers come with ballistics data for the Arma2 artillery module and should work fine.