Sign in to follow this  
Rexxenexx

Jetpack Addon - Project

I have a Rocketeer jetpack I made in 3DSMax a while back. I was wondering if one of you guys can take it and put it in game using the Osprey physics? I have to hunt down the model from my SAN, but I think it would be fun to have a pbo of four or three different jetpacks. A good and evil Rocketeer set and maybe a good and evil modern looking jetpacks.

I idea would be:

1) On the ground you and the jetpack are vertical and your gun can be moved around like normal.

2) As you fly up you are still vertical but your hands move to the idle pos so you can't move them or shoot your weapon.

3) If you tilt forward, the more airspeed you get the more horizontal you get and the more airplane physics come into play. Exactly like the Osprey.

I think this would be fun for the "Degeneration" Mission. Escape the Zombies via jetpack.

Anybody interested let me know and I'll hunt down the model. I'll need someone experienced in 3DSMax and importing who is confident that the Osprey type physics will work.

1st Release would be just the one Rocketeer pack so everyone can test it out (v2 signed / MP compatible). We may do beta releases and test it out on my dedicated server, because I know how eager everyone in this community to just try something new out. ;) Let me know!

Willing to help out on the config and special model LOD's etc

..... suspect AV8 may be a better base config but we shall see

..... except we're probably going to have a problem with setting up a "turret" ..... so we're back to the Osprey :(

Awesome Gnat. I couldn't ask for a better partner in this.

I agree. The model might be the easy part. Figuring out how to make it normal "backpack like" on the ground might be tough. I'm gonna whip out a Tribes jetpack so we can get on the Alpha ASAP. Three questions:

1) What should be the Max poly count?

2) What should be the Max Resolution on the textures?

3) Of those Max res texture maps how many is too many? Ex: Over Three 1024x1024 is too many.

That's all I need to know. I think I can whip out a Tribes backpack with one 1024x1024 and for sure it'll be ultra low poly. The Rocketeer jetpack I'll look for tonight, but if I remember correctly it has a long way to go.

1) For backpack? I wouldnt go beyond 10k

2) 2048x

3) Well, maybe for a backpack more than 2 is too much

OK I ripped out made FAST a 101Poly (1024x tga) Tribes one Energy Pack looking deal we can use as a place holder. How should I send it to you Gnat?

Tribes One Jetpack (Actually the energy pack in Tribes - Used for testing)

1319082408.jpg

Started a Tribes Ascend Jetpack

1319082424.jpg

Revived an Old Rocketeer Jetpack

1319082437.jpg

EDIT: K I'll do 2048x for the rest. The Tribes Ascend is coming out good w low polys. I think i'll be about 400-500 polys when its done. I found the Rocketeer and it was so heavy I think that'll be a while to cut it down. It's around 8000 polys just one rocket pod ;) But I see how to cut it more than 1/2 that. For now when I have free time I'll work on the Tribes Ascend BloodEagle jetpack. I really like how it looks with the Eagle head looking back, really cool.

Edited by Rexxenexx
Changed my vocabulary because it closely matches a BAD one

OK I ripped out a 101Poly (1024x tga) Tribes one Energy Pack looking deal we can use as a place holder.

You did what??

What do you guys think of:

CIV=Tribes One Jetpack

BLUFOR=Tribes Ascend Jetpack

OPFOR=Rocketeer Jetpack

Res=Boba Fett Jetpack

???

As it's generally illegal to rip something from another game, you might want to clarify if you have permissions or not, or if porting is allowed in the license of each game.

No permissions = No project

:q:

As it's generally illegal to rip something from another game, you might want to clarify if you have permissions or not, or if porting is allowed in the license of each game.

No permissions = No project

:q:

Oh HA! That's what those guys were WTFing about.

OK FOR CLARITY, EVERYTHING WAS MADE IN 3D STUDIO MAX AND PHOTOSHOP BY MYSELF. I'M A 3D MODELER AND HAVE NEVER -WILL NEVER- USE SOMEONE ELSES WORK, PERIOD!!!

NOTHING HAS BEEN "RIPPED"!!!

I MADE FAST the Tribes One model (ie: didn't take long). Ha! You guys are funny. I'd think someone would notice there is a difference between my Energy Pack and the actual Energy Pack.

EDIT: That "ripped" post English is fixed for clarity.

EDIT2: I'm flattered you guys thought I "ripped" it, but here you go, more proof:

1319146006.jpg

Waaaay different. Actually for the final CIV I think I'll make the Repair Backpack, but a bit nicer so we don't have to deal with the funny hoses moving through the character.

Edited by Rexxenexx

Tribes Ascend will be the first good model in the alpha release and its coming along pretty good.

1319166579.jpg

Quick ques. What maps does ArmA2 use? Diff (tga), Spec Color?,Spec Level?,Bump(Normal and/or Greyscale). I don't think the Tribes Ascend is gonna need any Bump but the Rocketeer will (rivets). You guys bake the diff w shadows or as-is and let the engine render shadows? Maybe bake very soft shadows? Here's where I'm at w the Ascend model:

1319527972.jpg

Quick ques. What maps does ArmA2 use? Diff (tga), Spec Color?,Spec Level?,Bump(Normal and/or Greyscale). I don't think the Tribes Ascend is gonna need any Bump but the Rocketeer will (rivets). You guys bake the diff w shadows or as-is and let the engine render shadows? Maybe bake very soft shadows?

* diffuse (with or without alpha - do not use alpha diffuse for anything other than windows and alike).

* bump in normal map (tangent space)

* specular map

* shadow map (or ambient occlusion)

HERE is a list from BIKI TXV2 manual:

* _CO - color (difuse map)

* _CA - color alpha (difuse map with alpha)

* _NO - normal map

* _NOHQ - normal map high quality

* _AS - ambient shadow texture

* _SMDI - optimised specular mapa for better bitdepth

although i'm really impressed by your model and generally like the design, i wonder if u plan to deliver matching units. because if i imagine a normal arma model having that bright coloured thing on its back it looks kinda funny. not to mention the time difference. one part (jetpack) being futuristc and the other (arma player models) being more of a present kinda thing.

just a thought. one or the other way i'm looking forward to this.

this is actually a very good point, and would effectively fill a gap regarding a2 addons which are in 99.9% all counterparts to the real deal

We'll it is 100% to make everyone crack-up. ;) To see a bunch of people flying around in ArmA will be epic!

I for sure wouldn't be able to make units. I just wouldn't have the time, besides I'm also totally not familiar with the ArmA engine import/export that's why I asked for someone familiar to help with making it. BUT, if someone else wants to make the Medium Tribes Ascend unit and The Rocketeer unit I'm 100% for putting everything in one pack. I still haven't contacted Gnat but I'll PM him when I have something that I think is close to being able to import. Gnat if you see this maybe start by importing a box as a placeholder and experiment!

lol @ PB

@Rexx

Yep, I'll see if I have time this long weekend

Anyone know a proxy definition that might be close to the stance a "Rocketeer" might make?

You know, legs straight, arms down, forearm and hands forward.

Edited by [APS]Gnat

what kind of control of the jetpack are you aiming for ? Something akind to Tribes I hope! Having it act like a chopper would be a bit too easy! I liked the old 'press spacebar to activate', where you had fuel that would deplete then replenish over time. Possible ?

Try the F-35 sitting position, its the best I can think of.

Took what u guys were talking about to heart and this is what I came up with:

1319781485.jpg1319781473.jpg1319782188.jpg

Better? It's about 2700polys. UV's are good for games. I still have to tweak the texture, especially where the body blends into the side jets. I don't have Z-Brush at home so its a trial and error back and forth with Photoshop.

I couldn't imagine Unwrapping the Rocketeer and the Tribes packs are out of place. You're right. So I think this is a good compromise. It sorta looks like the mini UAV bomber. ;) I'll see what I can do about the Rocketeer pack so we have an OPFOR jetpack, but this for sure will be the first I'll send to Gnat for import. Hope you guys like it.