Sign in to follow this  
PrivateWolf

Can AI's / Auto Voices have better voices in ArmA 3?

I wanna see an improvement in the auto voices tbh like this for example: Enemy.. way... to our, front thats just wrong I just hope they improve the voices of AI or characters in-game so that It can add more of the realistic feeling instead at times where I find the awkward voice in some situations funny :P

-Discuss (And tell me if theres any official word said about this)

Like this is ever gonna happen...

We have had OPF, then ARMA, then ARMA 2, then ARMA 2 CO, and AI still can't drive straight....

You honestly think they will have improved AI voices?

Not likely. Most of their time is taken up doing that underwater thingy.

Maybe we should start smaller and work our way up. I'd be happy if they'd have commands be spoken in whisper when AI have been positioned in stealth mode. That'd be a vast improvement from what we have now.

Edited by coder4crack

Maybe we should start smaller and work our way up. I'd be happy if they'd have commands be spoken in whisper when AI have been positioned in stealth mode. That'd be a vast improvement from what we have now.

Thats already in OA. Except for the player unit, who always keeps yelling.

Ouch.. You already got some bashing for the other thread, but.. isn't this some kind of wish? (wish being the keyword here).

To be honest, I rather like the clean, crisp and simple sentence of talking.

"9 o-clock, enemy man, far." can be done in 2 seconds; while "Watch out! There's an enemy men from our left in a long distance, over." is a bit too long to get to understand the situation.

But I must say the voice is need a huge improvement, ever consider to use voice synthesizer instead of pre-recorded words?

But I must say the voice is need a huge improvement, ever consider to use voice synthesizer instead of pre-recorded words?

Thats usually even worse.

that would really be an embarassing choice I am deeply convinced the team will not make

In my opinion, the timing should just be improved ( no long pauses between the samples) since the samples itself are not that bad.

Also:

OA= Takistan= New sounds

A3= Greece= New Sounds?

Ouch.. You already got some bashing for the other thread, but.. isn't this some kind of wish? (wish being the keyword here).

Yeah its sort of a wish but I from the reply of other people, I don't think they will do it :l

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

We have had OPF, then ARMA, then ARMA 2, then ARMA 2 CO, and AI still can't drive straight....

Yes I do suppose its better for them to focus working on the new "dimension" for the game but I don't think the under water function will be useful if your team advances past the beaches and the sea

ArmA is not ArmA without the campy phrase generator.

I just wish they had more garbled/distorted voices like in OFP.

Yes I do suppose its better for them to focus working on the new "dimension" for the game but I don't think the under water function will be useful if your team advances past the beaches and the sea

unless the player intends to waste their time exploring the costal regions of limnos rather than exploring the spectacular scenery they promise to offer on the interior of limnos, I do not think this underwater thingy serves any purpose at all.

It will be a fad that will most likely fade away like the vanilla version of the UAV... remember that epic failure?

I think that it would be great if AIII featured an improved voice system for AI. Even new OFP games did that better (or so I heard). Perhaps BI could try a similar way of improving the voice, using whole phrases instead of words.

New OFP games did nothing better.

They just had voice actors record a few full phrases like "enemy north 50m", "enemy north 100m" and that was it (enemy could've been 10m away from you and AI would still say the same 50m phrase, same goes for 1km distance - enemy was 200m away). No grid references, no clock bearings, no nothing. There were like 10-20 AI phrases. In a game where all AI can do is either following you or standing in one place that's a norm, but not in ArmA.

If BIS was to record every single phrase (including grid refs) like that instead of phrase generator - fancy installation that's in hundreds of GBs (not mentioning that BIS would run out of budget very quick)?

Edited by metalcraze

Don't you know how to order AI to drive straight?

Try it below:

`-7-4

8-8

Then it will work.

Thats already in OA. Except for the player unit, who always keeps yelling.

Or if you start with stealth and tell your squad to stop whispering - you still whisper and they're not. :D

New OFP games did nothing better.

They just had voice actors record a few full phrases like "enemy north 50m", "enemy north 100m" and that was it (enemy could've been 10m away from you and AI would still say the same 50m phrase, same goes for 1km distance - enemy was 200m away). No grid references, no clock bearings, no nothing. There were like 10-20 AI phrases. In a game where all AI can do is either following you or standing in one place that's a norm, but not in ArmA.

If BIS was to record every single phrase (including grid refs) like that instead of phrase generator - fancy installation that's in hundreds of GBs (not mentioning that BIS would run out of budget very quick)?

Hate to say it, but voice acting WAS pretty much the only feature Op Flash Dragon Rising (not Red River) had over ArmA 2, there were a good ten voice actors for both US and China and while there are obviously far more in ArmA 2, these were much more fleshed out and samples were clear and sentences had next to no pauses. Having recently played it again (not something I'd recommend) I can tell you that Op Flash Dragon Rising actually had a full list of variables in terms of distances, from 5m to 2km (instead of Kilometers the soldiers say "klicks").

Bohemia should seriously take notes on the matter of voice-works, the fact that Codemasters screwed up everything except voice-work shows that Bohemia should easily be able to pull themselves up to DR's standard (of voice acting, A2 owns it everywhere else)

Have you read what I wrote?

Do I need to repeat again that CM used full pre-recorded phrases because soldiers can say next to nothing (only distances, not even proper bearings and grid refs) and it is absolutely impossible to do in BIS case?

Apart from bearings and grid refs the game also has a shitton of other replies and fully VO'd ~100 commands plus support and artillery modules.

Bohemia should seriously take notes on the matter of voice-works, the fact that Codemasters screwed up everything except voice-work shows that Bohemia should easily be able to pull themselves up to DR's standard (of voice acting, A2 owns it everywhere else)

I'd say they came a long way simply by adding a whole separate category of voices using stealth mode. They add soooo much feeling to the game. Other than that, I thought OFP DR was pretty bland. Very fixed and limited, and nowhere near as flexible as Armas "sentence building" technology (kbTell - hard as hell to use, but flexible). Although words are missing forcing us to cheat a little (I use "of" when saying "TOF" in artillery call for fire), it still beats OFP DR wrt "what can possibly be said" and synthetics wrt "how does it sound".

"Call for fire", an

Or if you start with stealth and tell your squad to stop whispering - you still whisper and they're not. :D

That's natural due how the game works, in that you can't give yourself orders. Easily fixed by simple script command (already implemented in Domino, from settings menu). Spotter on ground, you in bomber - no need there should be automatics in that you speak the same as your crew. You could also be leading from behind or from a vehicle, where you're really not stealthy.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

That's natural due how the game works, in that you can't give yourself orders. Easily fixed by simple script command (already implemented in Domino, from settings menu). Spotter on ground, you in bomber - no need there should be automatics in that you speak the same as your crew. You could also be leading from behind or from a vehicle, where you're really not stealthy.

I would still prefer to speak in the way that my last behaviour order dictates, while it is possible that you want to speak in a different way than your crew, its quite rare.

I wonder if AI is able to distinguish between louder and silent voice when enemy is talking.

Hope so, since I can hear enemies give orders.

I wonder if AI is able to distinguish between louder and silent voice when enemy is talking.

Hope so, since I can hear enemies give orders.

I don't think so. Perhaps a nice feature request for the CIT. :D

I would still prefer to speak in the way that my last behaviour order dictates, while it is possible that you want to speak in a different way than your crew, its quite rare.

It's just that it clashes a bit with general game concept. Unlike formations, behavior isn't a group command but individual command. Should it change when all are changed? When one is changed? Or when the majority is changed? For me it would be sufficient if the system was changed so that you could give yourself an order, so that you are included when you select all, even if giving yourself orders doesn't make that much sense.

I don't think so. Perhaps a nice feature request for the CIT. :D

I just checked. Giving orders doesn't increase AIs knowledge of you, even if you're only separated by a fence. So the AIs "hearing abilities" are a bit over rated :p

It's just that it clashes a bit with general game concept. Unlike formations, behavior isn't a group command but individual command. Should it change when all are changed? When one is changed? Or when the majority is changed? For me it would be sufficient if the system was changed so that you could give yourself an order, so that you are included when you select all, even if giving yourself orders doesn't make that much sense.

Well, i guess using the stealth voice when ordering units in stealth mode and the normal voice for all other modes would feel the most natural. It still wouldnt always make sense(especially when ordering the whole group), but i prefer having this done automatically instead of going through the hassle of having to give myself an order for purely aestethic reasons.

Im also fine with 'use voice related to last behaviour command', which would have roughly the same effect of giving yourself a behaviour order.

Edited by NeMeSiS

Well I guess my memory failed me on this one. The script command setBehaviour doesn't work on individual units, although using the ingame command system does. I tried to quickly fix this using:

_keyDownEHId = (findDisplay 46) displayAddEventHandler [
"KeyDown", "
_key = _this select 1,
_shift = _this select 2;
if (_key == 59 && _shift) then {
	_units = units group player;
	_tempgroup = createGroup side player;
	_units - [player] joinSilent _tempgroup;
	if (behaviour player == 'STEALTH') then {
		player setBehaviour 'COMBAT'
	} else {
		player setBehaviour 'STEALTH'
	};
	units _tempgroup joinSilent player;
	deleteGroup _tempgroup;
}"
];

Really odd discrepancy. It probably will fail somewhat if player is not #1 in squad, but I guess you could store original positions and use joinAsSilent instead.

How to use: After player script has been run, simply press Shift+F1 to toggle your voicing. In Domino it's not that much of an issue since it doesn't have AI on our teams.

Have a voice recording for every often used phrase or address in the game, then have it recording with more and more intensity in his/her voice. Depending on the severity or intensity of the firefight or situation it queues that set dialogue.

That's adding a whole bunch of additional content to the game. Memory concerns? The two voice sets we have I think is sufficient. Maybe a slight pitch variation and volume increase would do the trick? But only for the normal voice set, not the stealth one. I'm a bit at loss at how to measure fighting severity though. It's something I've desired for suppression effects, but I can't come up with good solutions. How would that work? In great detail please :)

One thing that could have been done better is the heard chat that doesn't go over the radio. Like being close to someone not in your group, we only get to hear tiny fragments of the chat. Also a transition zone where you can hear both direct and radio, until close enough so that radio is not used at all. Especially if not during combat.