Sign in to follow this  
Leopardi

Singleplayer with epic plot

The singleplayer in ARMA has always been boring, because it's just trying to simulate war and that's basically it. CWC was completely different, why go for this imaginationless approach? I'm playing MP for simulating war, and SP for the atmosphere and plot-twisted story. And please, none of that unit commanding. Leave that for MP or some single missions. I just want to be a grunt surviving in an epic story and enjoy it without thinking like mad.

Edited by Leopardi

Sorry but if you want a game where you don't have to think much, then you made the completely wrong choice.

I liked the harvest red campaign. The only problem was that it was too short and BIS tried to compensate this with warfare. Much potential was wasted that way.

Seriously, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but typical FPS games are for that mindless single-player. COD is for that. So, you should pick up MW3 when it comes out, because that's what you're looking for. Or, Battlefield 3. Those are your best options coming out within the next month. ArmA3 won't deliver what you want. Sorry.

The singleplayer in ARMA has always been boring, because it's just trying to simulate war and that's basically it.

I take it when you bought Arma they never said "Combat or Military Simulator" on the cover? :confused:

a story about war is not interesting in a game sense, but a story about PEOPLE in a war is interesting. for example A Band of Brothers (an amazing series), and eagle wing (in addition to a couple usermade campaigns).

BIS have already indicated that the A3 campagin will be like a sandbox exploration game. you will wonder around alone and try not to die. this approach could work very well, or it could fall flat on its ass story wise. since Zipper is now a dev, i am holding out that they will make it work (i may have missed the memo, but im hoping they hired him as a mission designer/scripter type guy:bounce3:).

personally i want to see ArmA3 get some large expansion packs focusing on the main front line war, the grunts, and the hardships they face, not this "special forces-super-secret-mission thing". have a BoB style linear campaign about some private (European or Iranian/OPFOR), and maybe some impersonal more open-ended "tactical" campaign focused on some of the larger important battles of the war (29th MEU defense of Limnos, battle of Brno etc). have a different "flavor" or style for each campaign much like they are now with A2

I take it when you bought Arma they never said "Combat or Military Simulator" on the cover? :confused:

...yeah, what a lie.

Just compare OFP/Resistance campaigns with those great atmosphere with the boring-as-hell ArmA2/OA campaigns.

EW was great, just like some User-Made missions and campaigns.

Looks like BI just dont cares that much about fun, atmosphere and immersion in their campaigns. They just use them as showcase for the features and modules. They try to hard to concentrate on the "simualtor" part and fail...

I have high hopes for the story in Arma3 considering how much freedom BIS now have with it - mainly thanks to the future setting that certain people detest so much.

Being a tad judgemental here aren't we guys? He said CWC campaign not Modern warfare.

A campaign like CWC would be great, hell I'd take it even if it were the same story just with different characters I mean why not. But on that token it would be difficult to re-create the aspects because there were many such as the smooth learning curve for equipment in varying levels, squad commanding etc. It all felt natural rather than suffering from a shoving it in the face akin to OA. Not to mention characters we can relate to and have some emotional depth to them, true that there was some disdain showin harvest red but compare it to the things seen in CWC and Resistance.

Edited by NodUnit

Players should be responsible for their actions and decisions. Its somehow boring and predictable if there is only one ending of missions/campaigns - the almighty "Happy/heroic End" possible.

Guess the A3 campaign is more about a SF lonewolf/small team who has to save Limnos (and perhaps later the world) from the bad + evil forces.

Just compare OFP/Resistance campaigns with those great atmosphere with the boring-as-hell ArmA2/OA campaigns.

This x100000000000000000000000000000000000000000

I liked the fact that there was some diversity in the missions...such as that just because you won the fight didn't necessarily mean you won the battle..IE "You win!" Incomming tank batallion! OH shi-" Or the infamous lone soldier running from soviet patrols and hinds.. Memory is a bit rusty..after Montignac?

Sorry but if you want a game where you don't have to think much, then you made the completely wrong choice.

I liked the harvest red campaign. The only problem was that it was too short and BIS tried to compensate this with warfare. Much potential was wasted that way.

I like to think, but not as a leader. Like in CWC campaign, you were just a grunt in the middle of a horrible mess trying to survive and nothing goes like planned. Suddenly you were all alone in a forest in russian territory trying to just make it out alive in great atmosphere.

What he is trying to say is that he wants a more atmospheric SP campaign, one that focuses less on demonstrating game features and more on the story and the "emotions" :p that come with it.

I do agree with him and my bet is that the devs do as well :)

There is no market standard as to how a "mil-sim" SP campaign should be designed, nor on how it should be played :)

So uh... relax and drop the whole "crusaders of the mil-sim" attitude :)

Seriously, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but typical FPS games are for that mindless single-player. COD is for that. So, you should pick up MW3 when it comes out, because that's what you're looking for. Or, Battlefield 3. Those are your best options coming out within the next month. ArmA3 won't deliver what you want. Sorry.

So basically you guys think that OFP's campaigns are mindless crap. :confused:

So basically you guys think that OFP's campaigns are mindless crap. :confused:

Nah... they just saw the word epic in the post title, they skimmed through the post and went into red alert :D

Then they proceded to raising their Mark II " It's a mil-sim!" shields and opened fire with their frontal "Maybe ArmA is not the game for you" phaser banks and fired a voley of "Go play COD" and " BF 3 is the game for you" torpedos ;)

Needless to say, the inocent ambasadorial post was destroyed.

I think a good option would be to have an AI squad leader that you can team switch into if/when you want to lead or just save your squad from certain death every now and then.

Or maybe forget the story and characters altogether and create a true combat simulation with fully dynamic campaign that plays out on its own in real time, where you can take any role and rank you wish to. From general to a rifleman, jet pilot to fuel truck driver. AI battles outside of player buble would probably have to be decided by statistics instead of actual 3D simulation to have the necessary numbers to make for a believable battlefield.

There's no worse thing in games, especially shooters, than a focus on story and characters.

More gameplay, less bullshit = CWC.

I don't give a jack shit if a bunch of pixels is having a crisis - but instead in many games today I'm forced to watch stupid 5 minutes long cutscenes that supposedly should make me feel something, but instead make me cringe at how 3d pinoccios try way too hard to act EPIC. Instead of making me, you know, play the game. Player playing the game, not watching the game, is a stone age thing I know.

Edited by metalcraze

I don't think that most people will get angry or worried about playing few campaign missions as leader for a small team. Its just that commanding and taking care of platoon or company sized groups incl. logistics is for some people too much to handle in realtime. Maybe BIS will include an option to certain missions eg "proceed alone" or "wait for others to attack/defense/scout/..."? In that way one could have fun alone and later try this mission with up to 10 more AI units... :)

RES was a bit better than CWC. Looting, collecting weapons and taking care of your own teammates ftw!! :p

I thought Harvest Red was exceptionally well done, apart from some bugs that I personally rarely got affected by. For those not wanting the "acting part", focus on doing the SP scenarios instead, I prefer a bit of drama added as it adds a lot to the whole setting.

As for After Montignac, wasn't there a similar mission in Harvest Red? Even if I wasn't alone and it was dark, having to cross that amount of distance while foot and bmp patrols were hunting you was awesome (don't forget to grab an M136 at the "base").

And I really don't get the Warfare hatred. There was one introductionary mission where you had to take a limited amount of town with a limited amounts of units to control. Not hard at all (except mission could be hard if you did it wrong). In the final "Warfare mission" it seems to me it merely suits as ambient fighting, and does it quite good. Taking the enemy base, isn't that about the only warfare thing you have to do? You don't even have to command. I never "played Warfare" in this mission except maybe the first time.

I enjoyed Harvest Red immensly for portraying me as a SF unit in a war doing SF things, eventually leading a small manageable team (using teamswitch) and awesome briefings, rather than constant fighting missions with simplified briefings reading "kill'em all".

What he is trying to say is that he wants a more atmospheric SP campaign, one that focuses less on demonstrating game features and more on the story and the "emotions" :p that come with it.

I do agree with him and my bet is that the devs do as well :)

There is no market standard as to how a "mil-sim" SP campaign should be designed, nor on how it should be played :)

So uh... relax and drop the whole "crusaders of the mil-sim" attitude :)

This is something I can agree with :)

portraying me as a SF unit

Well thats just the problem (for me at least). You're always an effing SF squad leader, tasked to go there and do all the things (think "Ramirez <insert task here>!11!!1!!" or similar from all the CoDs and BFs and whatever), rather than being some reasonably insignificant cog in the military machine.

I miss the sense of scale and feeling of being part of something bigger that you got in CWC. You just dont get that in ArmA, you're always the badass leading the charge, not the grunt watching the tanks and apcs roll on past your slow/lost ass...

I miss the sense of scale and feeling of being part of something bigger that you got in CWC. You just dont get that in ArmA, you're always the badass leading the charge, not the grunt watching the tanks and apcs roll on past your slow/lost ass...

yeah this, that's what makes the feeling youre really in a war.

BIS have already indicated that the A3 campagin will be like a sandbox exploration game. you will wonder around alone and try not to die. this approach could work very well, or it could fall flat on its ass story wise. since Zipper is now a dev, i am holding out that they will make it work (i may have missed the memo, but im hoping they hired him as a mission designer/scripter type guy:bounce3:)

Hiring community mission makers to work on the ArmA3 campaign is a very good thing. Gaia (ex community member IIRC) making the Eagle wing mini campaign was a very good thing (even if i suck at piloting attack choppers...).

This a a sandbox game, BUT making the campaign a sandbox one is just meh. I want a story driven campaign, obviously with freedom but on a limited scale, such as "after Montignac" but not as complex as Manhattan. That the slight difference between an exciting mission and a boring one.

By the way, lol at the guys calling the OP a cod lover, they really should play CWC or Resistance to understand what a campaign really should be.

Well thats just the problem (for me at least). You're always an effing SF squad leader, tasked to go there and do all the things (think "Ramirez <insert task here>!11!!1!!" or similar from all the CoDs and BFs and whatever), rather than being some reasonably insignificant cog in the military machine.

Exactly. +1000.

Well have you played the campaigns by Bardosy (Chesty Puller/Pirog/Mighty Justice)?

There you have what you seek. While playing those campaigns you had always the feel that you are really part of a large scale assault. Really great Stuff.

And yes that was really missing in Harvest Red, and especially in OA