Sign in to follow this  
volkov956

Revisting Dedicated Server Core Usage

Is it me or since 1.59 and all the betas that again the server does not support over dual core again?

I have been testing very AI intensive missions why well performance server drop since 1.59 and Beta yes there is less visual lag but Server Ram and CPU usage has dropped.....

Tested 2 Different Xeon Quad Core systems with 3ghz+ and 16gb ram using RAID/Non Raid/SSD and Regular (Non Hyperthreading for Xeons)

Tested 1 AMD Quad Core system 3.2ghz with 16gb ram Non Raid SSD/Regular

All systems use just max 50% Max 4 Cores the Xeons used to have better performance Pre 1.59 and used 3-4 cores depending on load with the very AI intensive Missions. memory usage has also dropped overall the game used to use almost 1gb in ingame admin #monitor option now its 400-500

Usual CPU FPS is around 7-15 old tests show 15-40 (but thats when it used all cores)

Server O/S Tests

Windows Server 2003 32/64bit

Windows Server 2008 32/64bit R2 and Non R2

Windows 7 64bit

And yes reverting to a Older Patch fixes it...... but I dont want to use the older patch because of AI fixes and etc that I perfer to have running on the server

My experience with the Linux server: easily loads one core to 100% with any complex mission (Warfare BE, for example), and another one fluctuates between 25-50%. This is on an E3-1230.

I don't have any data from 1.57 to compare with unfortunately.

hmm maybe i should just disable 2 cores and O/C the piss out of it? or is there any kind of workaround that anyone knows really or if its ever gonna be addressed in 1.60

Edited by volkov956

On my server i have set affinity to 2 cores running 2 servers each using 2cores - works just fine.

Perhaps there's an issue with detecting amount of cores since 1.59?

That's why you should never rely on autodetect when there are perfectly functioning commands at our disposal :)

will try exthreads already tried forcing cpu count without much any results except a loss in perf for the server

Edit *Tried Exthreads uses 80% or more of 4 cores now thats more like it....

Edited by volkov956

works better doesnt drop FPS as fast still not acceptable but atleast it doesnt drop to single dig anymore upgrading the CPU as well now for another 500mhz per core should help some more

works better doesnt drop FPS as fast still not acceptable but atleast it doesnt drop to single dig anymore upgrading the CPU as well now for another 500mhz per core should help some more

Yeah ArmA servers are very hungry for clock speed. When we moved locations within our GSP, we ended up with an upgraded box that had about 1.0ghz more clock than our old rig. It provided a rather large performance boost.

I'm sure the servers still have MUCH MUCH more room for optimization and it's one of the things I'd like to see for A3.

will try exthreads already tried forcing cpu count without much any results except a loss in perf for the server

Edit *Tried Exthreads uses 80% or more of 4 cores now thats more like it....

What -exThreads setting did you use?

Exthreads=7

One possible negative seems to be AI has more CPU time to know where you are now....See you in a forest 1km crawling around ....but oh well the performance is nice lol

Edited by volkov956