Sign in to follow this  
Whalenator

Wingsuits

Wingsuits necessary?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Wingsuits necessary?

Whalen, this was never a flamefest before you started saying how stupid people who are new to arma are, aswell as outside of arma, which is funny considering your join date, or even if it is a second account, I know lots of people outside the arma community who can probably mod and make missions better than you, and as far as gaming intelligence goes they are both important.

On the wingsuit idea, I believe that it should not be a point the game would rely on if it ever was added, because as stated before most people think that is compensating for something.

You must admit though, for a future war, they would be an interesting idea, especially since although they are invented now they are not used in the military afaik.

Maybe SF using them out of planes would work well if they could find a way to take their gear with them, be able to move far enough across the sky that the people at the Landing zone would never hear or see the plane, if it worked it could be effective.

Those wingpacks which are in use have only small space for equipment + gear. Its not fully silent and not invisible. Even if its dark most people are able to hear the difference between natural and strange sounds. Only game devs and Hollywood are in the same boat of "Superstealth-ism". ;)

Wingsuits would be outside of this engine's ability

Wrong. Even with the current engine wingsuits could be pretty "easily" scripted. We already have HALO jumping which is similar, with just a greater rate of descent. As for ARMA 3 the engine cannot even really be commented on at this point in time, referring to what is "hardcoded".

Wingsuits would be outside of this engine's ability unless its simply for looks, since as of now "special abilities" the customizable costumes are able to have are severely limited. Of course a hardcore coder could easily crack this, but making outfits customizable more than just cosmetically would be an amazing addition to vanilla Arma 3.

1. Lol "hardcore coder", the 90's called, they want their lingo back.

2. I'm glad you know sooooo much about ArmA3 already, given that its not even remotely finished.

Godamn newfags, fucking our nice forums up... :j:

Community says no.

Great.

Stop posting now.

The community says "Not necessary" because they don't think ArmA 3 requires it. The wording of the poll is skewed. If it asked if we would like to see it, you'd see a hell of a lot more yeses. :rolleyes:

Whalen if you put up a thread and you don't want people posting on it, then good luck, I have a new solution for you.

Step 1: Get a compass

Step 2: Face north

Step 3: Walk in that direction for a few minutes, moving around objects while trying to maintain the orientation

Step 4: Once you are at least 30-50m from any other human being, stop moving

Step 5: Think of all the times people bullied you at school for being fat (Or retarded)

Step 6: Yell at the top of your lungs and let the anger out

Step 7: Go back to the BIS forums and stop acting like you have a cork up your ass

Unpopularity vs. mega gliding with wings fun. :(

Hi, i've voted for 'Not Neccessary' because at least to where we know... we can't walk on vehicles, so we'll begin on the air; i doubt that we have much SP (campaign) missions where use 'em and all the Wingsuits that i've seen don't allow you to carry the full battle gear, weapon, backpack, vest, suspenders, helmet etc.

Leave it to the addon makers sounds good enough for me, but IMO the lone addons don't get to be used by the public servers unless they're inside big Mods such the ACE2 and things like that; so as addon it'll be killed by the mainstream mods such as those and if it comes with the game... will have few use aside of the recreative use that you can give it by few time. The military use HALO suits instead of this for something. Let's C ya

I would like to see it, and yes the poll is worded not so well, as I put YES, but as in ... love to see it as a mod than focus of BIS.

Would be funny to have a wing suit mission where you can fire AT while flying :)

But ... anyway, I dont think its necessary in the sense of bringing some new dimension to arma3 vanilla.

For the recent arguments, why not lock the thread, print it all out on paper, create a paper wing suit replica, and throw it from a cliff? Symbolic in some ways :)

I voted "Not Necessary". Why? Because I don't like it ( lol flying squirrels...) like other people, so I'm for the idea to let the developers do their job how they did it 10 years and if someone want something more (like this)... there are lots of posibilities to make a mod for the game. Yes, they said it... everyone can post wishes and ideas (btw why this is separated thread, but they have to think about the mass of players, I'm also from this mass. I mean they have to make the base, and the wishes like wingsuits, other weapons, etc. (which are not from the base part) to go for mods or better - DLC from approved wishes and ideas like this or left them for mod fans.

Hope you understand me,

best wishes!

Wingsuits would be outside of this engine's ability unless its simply for looks, since as of now "special abilities" the customizable costumes are able to have are severely limited. Of course a hardcore coder could easily crack this, but making outfits customizable more than just cosmetically would be an amazing addition to vanilla Arma 3.

EDIT:

They're few and far between.

Whalen,

I will give you the benefit of the doubt with regard to your first sentence.

Maybe you misspoke. As the game is now, it is already possible to fly much like a wingsuit. One only has to HALO and adjust their roll / pitch to move side to side and increase or decrease their forward momentum. View this as an example

z1UK5y9uxa4

All that would be needed is a new uniform addon (much like a gas mask is handled in ACE) The properties of the item would need to be changed to improve flight characteristics (less drag or increased lift). I do not think the concept is impossible or improbable at all.

Though I did vote "yes", I believe you poll is flawed. An absolute "yes" or "no" is not necessary. But would it be cool to see in a futuristic mil-sim...yes.

Edited by Stang69

Whalen,

The properties of the item would need to be changed to improve flight characteristics (less drag or increased lift)

That's what I meant...

The ability for outfits to have special properties is limited.

I have been working on a wingsuit mod, not to relive an old dream, just a simple two videos.

it is just some simple triggers, and mountainous maps.

I know the video that inspired your second one ;) Love the song!

Sail by AWOLNATION. Awesome song.

Absolutely needed, ArmA3 won't be a purchase for me if there aren't any wingsuits

Great videos. I think your descent speed is a little too much presently, but it looks good!

Is it possible to release these scripts?