Sign in to follow this  
themaster303

ARMA 2: OA beta build 85478

[85474] Workaround: All players are disconnected when loading save and need to connect again manually.

[85448] Fixed: Scripting command "Reveal" left target side as unknown, requiring visual confirmation (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25266#note-8)

[85440] Fixed: Bullets damage reduced too much over distance (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/11479)

[85429] Fixed: Global event handlers (including onPlayerDisconnected and onMapSingleClick) cleaned when MP debriefing starts (http://dev-heaven.net/issues/16261)

[85428] New: Window title includes Host or Admin status when running windowed to make testing with multiple instances easier.

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

So I assume all the weapons have had a tweak to allow better more realistic kills?.

Any way these BETA`s coming out I got to say BIS you really do shine above ANY other game dev.

Thanks so much and I am so proud to be an ARMA/BIS fan.

Thanks

So I assume all the weapons have had a tweak to allow better more realistic kills?.

Any way these BETA`s coming out I got to say BIS you really do shine above ANY other game dev.

Thanks so much and I am so proud to be an ARMA/BIS fan.

Thanks

This is what Suma wrote in CIT:

"I think I have found the underlying cause and fixed it in 85440 (the speed factor incorrectly influenced the hipoint computation twice, once for hit value, second time for distance), and the damage values seem now correct when debugging, however I am not sure the observed behaviour is what you expect. SVD still most often requires 2 hits at 500 m distance, while M107 kills with one hit. Once available, please, test and comment on the result."

No, it was the damage reduction because speed loss, it was bugged. It applies automatically to all the weapons.

Awesome "bug-squashing" progress the last week or two! Looking forward to test this one out, thanks BIS...

/KC

I have made the good old Utes Runway Test. High Caliber Sniper Rifles are absolute deadly now. :D

I cant wait to try this tonight.

Can some one make a video of an M107 at say 1000m+.

Only catch is with ACE mod.

I do test all BETA`s with out ACE but I just want to see what its like as I cant test it tonight till late :(

I cant wait to try this tonight.

Can some one make a video of an M107 at say 1000m+.

Only catch is with ACE mod.

I do test all BETA`s with out ACE but I just want to see what its like as I cant test it tonight till late :(

I'll do it. Let's see if that update will affect the ACE wounding system or not.

Weapons range and effect are now much better and more to what you would exspect...1 kill hits with small caliber 5.56, 5.45 etc are possible beyond 300 but will not happen all the time...at 300 the maximum hits for kill is 3 hits now, some times 2 some times only 1. Full caliber 7.62... is always a 1 hit kill at torso out to 500m now.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I'll do it. Let's see if that update will affect the ACE wounding system or not.
Exspect a lots of mods to be rewritten after 1.60 release.

Does this mean it wont take 6 5.56 rounds to kill someone at 300m away?

Yes. Headshots over this Distance with 5.56 mm are absolute deadly now, and shots on Body needed are 2 to 3. Tested with Beta only and Mk16 vs. Russian Soldier.

Thanks you very much this was what I wanted to know ACE wounding system hehehe.

This is awesome :)

Has something happened to the recoil and grenade bounciness as well? Its probably placebo. Or brought on by needing fewer bullets to incapacitate/kill the enemy.

Edited by NkEnNy

Result of recent changes is that I can now run maniac on Utes airport taking out a full squad of enemy AI soldiers (mostly 7.62). Usually/too often, one shot is enough for me to take out one of them. I get to behave like a human regarding cover usage. Their only benefit of going low to make themselves less of a target, is now completely gone as an advantage. Instead I get the benefit since at least they are guaranteed to stay still. From what I see on youtube, protective gear still works (also against 7.62). That is not the case in the game, especially for AI.

All performed using US rifleman with Mk16 on maximum difficulty, and I'm really not all that good soldier - too old and slow, but brains still work, which will lead to me taking advantage of knowing how AI thinks and performs. Am I really the only one worried about balance? There is no longer need to choose Mk17 or other 7.62 based weapons, since the shortcomings of 5.56 are no longer felt. I feel like a God, using nothing but 5.56 which is supposed to feel inadequate.

I always thought reduced damage while prone was some sort of abstraction, to counter for lack of hiding at distance (grass not rendered, too good visibility), combined with difficulty to hit due lack of player fear factor. If I was wrong, then, now what? This is a game. It should have challenges. I shouldn't be able to single handedly take on full squads and get away with it, certainly not at max difficulty.

Are everyone else cheering over this? Because I'm not only crying inside, I'm bleeding!

Sorry to say but you have the wrong perspective here: "Two wrongs don't make a good".

If the damage really turns out to be too deadly, the soldier armor or the weapon damage can be tweaked.

To see the damage having when prone gone and the fix in velocity to damage relation is a huge improvement.

Are everyone else cheering over this? Because I'm not only crying inside, I'm bleeding!

So turn up the AI precision?

I usually get hit multiple times before dying, so the AI will benefit from velocity changes as well. And since they are unable to handle recoil with 7.62 weapons, their abilities will increase even more.

I've been wiping out AI squads all on my own long before fixes. The reason is that AI simply can't shoot just as good as a player because it can't control its recoil. The first shot usually hits close to you but all subsequent shots go somewhere else. Especially problematic with MGs

Edited by metalcraze

So turn up the AI precision?

I usually get hit multiple times before dying, so the AI will benefit from velocity changes as well. And since they are unable to handle recoil with 7.62 weapons, their abilities will increase even more.

Already at max. Highest difficulty, maxed sliders, with nothing turned on (except Camera Shake). Some claim headshots count more, but examining using "handledamage" EH, I'm only registering hits on legs and arms, not head or body, even if I'm up close clearly shooting them in the face. Is my EH wrong (beginning to wonder)? I'm also not able to tell any "damage difference" (which varies wildly, but doesn't seem to be reflected) from uparmored Takistani Riflemand and a Civilian.

I've been wiping out AI squads all on my own long before fixes.

Yeah, same here. But it used to take me quite a bit of bullets to do so, at least at some range using 5.56.

. Notice the amount of shooting vs amount of hitting, and the fact that a headshot can be survivable. Also note they are completely in the open, which in the game would be easy pickings both for AI setting up an ambush and human players - the fight for us would be over in 5-10 seconds. Edited by CarlGustaffa

Frankly I share Carl Gustaffa's concern. The impact to the metagame brought on by fixing these two bugs is rather large. While config tweaks to units may certainly be adopted; BIS have anything but a good track record for making those kinds of changes!

Increased effective player engagement ranges mean that the DMR and Mk17 + RCO type weapons just became that much better.

For better or worse I generally approve of growing lethality. Now just make sure that the AI aren't absolute muppets. (eg, don't stand while in danger mode. Move slowly in stealth mode. Don't all use binoculars. Able to actually withdraw from a friefight.)

-k

Edited by NkEnNy

Just tried M110 at 1000 meters. Normally two shots are required for a kill, but sometimes only one is enough. All this while the AI is completely pacified and really don't have a clue what's going on.

That's easy as hell kill shots at 1000 meters with a 7.62 based weapon. Effective range is supposed to be 800 meters. And I'm doing longer without any of the real world requirements for such shots, other than having to overaim.

i am not sure about the damage over distance change really. wile in reality bullets are very deadly at range, there are more factors at play. in game however, things are much easier with extremely stable aiming, low suppression effects, low wounding effects (very little "impact", or even knowing you have been hurt), simplistic human damage model, low recoil and bullet deviation in addition to absolutely terrible armor simulation (in addition to AI shortcomings). this makes combat much easier.

so in effect having low bullet damage in game makes the game more "realistic" by sort of simulating some the above effects and making the long range firefight last longer.

i have not played the beta so far, but this is just one of my concerns