Sign in to follow this  
memphisbelle

Link to Marker in Notes no more supported?

Hello there,

I´ve been messing around since a couple days to figure out why my Notes wont get displayed as there are containing link to markers. I googled and searched the forums here and found some descriptions like this one which explaining quite well how to do notes incl. marker links.

But they nontheless seem not to be working (anymore?).

I tried out several things:

1st try:

Is to use a normal marker link as I use in my tasks (where they are working quite fine by the way).

<Key ID="STR_MIS_CT">
<English>bla bla bla bla<marker name=""BrfZone1"">marker on certain location</marker> and <marker name=""BrfZone2"">marker on another location</marker>as well as bla bla bla</English>
<German>same crap in my language :D</German>
</Key>

Result: The notes Tab not displaying the respective stringtable entry but the very next one (what the fu** is going on here?)

2nd try:

Is to use a marker link as explained as example provided in the tutorial I linked above.

<Key ID="STR_MIS_CT">
<English>bla bla bla bla<marker name='obj1'>marker on certain location</marker>and <marker name='obj2'>marker on another location</marker>as well as bla bla bla</English>
</Key>

Result: All the text is gone...only things which is beeing displayed is the text between the Marker tags (what the hell.....?!?)

3rd try:

Is to use no marker links in my nice Text:

<Key ID="STR_MIS_CT">
<English>bla bla bla bla no marker used in this bla bla bla</English>
</Key>

Result: I get a nice Notes Tab displayed...but without any links.

So please...what is this? I remember to be used marker links in OFP and ArmA1 a lot. Why are they no more working in Arma2...or is that cause of OA?

If someone does have an answer on this I´d much apreciate this.

Thanks and

regards

Memphis

Edited by MemphisBelle
issue solved

I'm fairly sure I had the same problem when using stringtable.xml, if I remember correctly using stringtable.csv fixed it for me (however annoying it was to convert a huge stringtable :/ ).

I'm fairly sure I had the same problem when using stringtable.xml, if I remember correctly using stringtable.csv fixed it for me (however annoying it was to convert a huge stringtable :/ ).

haha...you´re kidding me right?...There has been a new thing beeing implanted just to be removed because the old one can do even better?...how silly is this? :confused:

Anyways, thanks pretty much for this answer...I gonna give it a try.

Hi Memphis

I stopped using stringtable.xml because of the same problem with markers not showing up. I could never get it to work until I started using old fashioned stringtable.csv files with UTF-8 encoding.

Sample stringtable.csv in UTF-8 encoding and marker links:

LANGUAGE,English,German

STR_hint,"This is a <marker name='name_of_the_marker'>markerlink</marker>","Dies ist ein <marker name='name_of_the_marker'>Link</marker>"

I prefer the csv format over the xml anyway since the xml has quite a lot of overhead...

Issue solved. The notes are working now as they are supposed to. CSV is really still the better way...

Issue not really solved :) http://dev-heaven.net/issues/25378

---------- Post added at 16:55 ---------- Previous post was at 16:54 ----------

I prefer the csv format over the xml anyway since the xml has quite a lot of overhead...
AFAIK both formats are made for machine-readability, not human readability.

At least for XML you are encouraged to use appropriate tools, instead of a text editor :D

OK, now I got it. For all to clearify what Sickboy figured out....thanks by the way for making this a dev heaven ticket to solve the issue.

<marker name='BrfZone1'>certain location</marker>

Although I´ve really got to say, that I´d prefer the .CSV format nontheless, since I dont really see any advantage in the new XML Format. In opposite I see a disadvantage by having a more worse overlook on the already complex looking Stringtables.

XML: Nice formatting due to tags and (the possible) multiline definition of the different languages.

Hence as said, you're encouraged to use appropriate tools to edit XML files, not a text editor :)

Sickboy, it would be helpful to actually recommend a specific XML editing tool.

I prefer the CSV format as well since you don't have to do so much escaping of special characters - are the "appropriate" tools capable of automatically escaping special characters in the final XML for you?

Edited by zwobot

Sickboy, it would be helpful to actually recommend a specific XML editing tool.

I prefer the CSV format as well since you don't have to do so much escaping of special characters - are the "appropriate" tools capable of automatically escaping special characters in the final XML for you?

http://tinyurl.com/6eely4r

:D

And yes, normally escaping should be automatic.

nice tool...but what exactly is the advantage of the XML Format in opposite the CSV Format, exept it is a new one? May CSV Formated Stringtables effect in a negative way on dedicated Servers? I can´t really see that point right now.

xml is a step forward. it makes your stringtable more organized.

you can divide it into seperate containers if the file gets real big.

but also. if in future. if they include dtd. by using a more robust xml parser.

we could <!DOCTYPE and use <!ENTITY in stringtable.xml and have our files split up to smaller files and not use subdirs which we have to do now..

OK, now I got it. For all to clearify what Sickboy figured out....thanks by the way for making this a dev heaven ticket to solve the issue.

<marker name='BrfZone1'>certain location</marker>

Although I´ve really got to say, that I´d prefer the .CSV format nontheless, since I dont really see any advantage in the new XML Format. In opposite I see a disadvantage by having a more worse overlook on the already complex looking Stringtables.

Funny. The same we use in our cwr2 stringtable.xmls you're supposed to translate... You just could have looked into them. :p

[...]You just could have looked into them. :p

You´re right...now were you´re mentioning that...I noticed the very first marker link while translating the first missions today...the ting is that I am not sure whether I´d recognize them properly as markerlinks as they are pretty much confusing.

But now after I worked a little bit with those escaped symbols..ôve to admit, that these things are looking way more worse as they actually are.

Wolle, you´d give me that advice much earlier...hehehe :p

I now turned back to XML...

next try: Issue solved :D