Gunter Severloh

COSLX - An updated version of the original SLX Mod

Holy moly! I just played through part of an Evo mission running all these mods. HOLY CRAP so many awesome improvements! Keep ip the wonderful work!

It appears hostiles are taken down easier now. One shot from a 7.62 Mk17 drops an enemy, as opposed to ~5 in vanilla. This realism is a very nice approach, unless it's just my imagination. :p

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

To answer some questions:

slx_bis_bc_fix: causes occasional pauses => after the recent slew of beta patches, do we still need this?

When i recompiled, tested COSLX I used the current official Patch (1.59) had no issues on my end.

Until the new betas form into a new official full stable patch then i wont do nothing with this, not everyone is running betas.

Also like COWarMod as you know SLX is somewhat a customizable mod, not as epic as COWarMod but it is customizable that said, you can remove such files on your own to customize your game.

For future records I will be updating COSLX, and will take note on removing this file for when the next patch is released.

slx_bis_xeh: causes regular(!) pauses => likewise, do we really need this?

Never had such issues, if your not running the vanilla game with COSLX and patched to 1.59 and using CBA then reports are not accurate.

I forget why that file was needed but its in there for a reason, if its not working on your end then remove it but also watch your rpt for changes and SLX error lines, or report lines. But again as above I will keep it in my records to remove it upon release of the new patch, as I myself have no issues with it.

slx_mgreload: seems works fine => add it back to COSLX?

Its an Optional Feature, thats why its in the Optional Features folder, was never in SLX main addons folder to begin with, if you want to use it go ahead.

slx_wounds: requires slx_FindCover => add this dependancy to the readme in the first post?

Done, and will update the readme for the download as well.

slx_uav: appears to conflict with BAF mission Concrete Oasis (option to switch to UAV disappears!) => disable this pbo? plus I don't see what it adds...

You can remove it on your own, Ill remove it for the download. As said before it was in the main addons folder to begin with, only files I removed from the original download for SLX from SOLUS end was the problematic files, and updated other files causing issues, mod in geeral was tested in the basica game itself, no additions, DLCs, ect,. basic game with USMC on a basic map.

I never used and prob never will use uav, but in general if folks dont have issues with it then theres no need to remove it on their end all depends what people are playing but i will remove it for the sake of possible future problems.

Thanks for the feedback and report, I appreciate it.

Rexxenexx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Günter Severloh View Post

Last but not least, anyone have anything to report then please let me know so i can look into it.

and does anyone know how to update the key file for the server as was posted about from Rexxenexx in the previous post?

Check out this post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=118193

Thanks I had seen this before but never looked into it, i will look into it this week as I want to get SLX and some related files updated.

What mods do you recommend to be used with this? Maybe tell me what mods you're running and I can go from there.

Only thing Im running when I play JuggernautOfWar is

E:\Games\Arma2\arma2oa.exe -nosplash -skipIntro -mod=@CBA;@COWarMod;@COWarModSM

COWarMod -->http://warmod.webs.com/cowarmod.htm

COWarMod is the 3rd Installment of the WarMod series.

WarMod for Arma2CO aka as COWarMod is a Massive Customizable Compilation mod i built for the Arma series.

WarFX Particles is already in my 2nd version of WarMod aka as A2WarMod

and Blastcore being the Arma2CO version of Warfx is in COWarMod.

If your running Arma2 only then i'd reccomend A2WarMod.

It's really VERY good and goes a long way to solving the AI's accuracy problems (b ydefault they're FAR too accurate).

change the AI Settings in the profile see here:

ArmA2OAProfile

Quote:

Player and server profile skill levels significantly affect gameplay. Empirical

data provides the following recommended skill settings for the .ArmA2Profile:

skillFriendly=0.98500001;

skillEnemy=0.98500001;

With the above settings, AI provide good suppression levels, attempt flanking

manoeuvres on spotted enemy while maintaining close formation and also make use

of cover and concealment during movement. Attacks are slower, in larger force

and more deliberate. Spotting distance is slightly extended in comparison to

lower skill settings.

Reducing skill settings to:

skillFriendly=0.5;

skillEnemy=0.5;

With these settings AI tend attack individually or in loose formation with

little regard for use of cover. Frontal attacks are common.

Recommended precision settings for the player/server profile are:

precisionFriendly=0.5;

precisionEnemy=0.2;

Higher precision settings tend to make the AI too accurate, which destroys

some of the immersion. These are recommended values borne out of extensive

testing. You can of course vary them as you wish to make enemy more

lethal, but the window for adjustment is very small for precision: 0.2 - 0.245

Friendly precision is set higher to mitigate against friendly fire and does not

appear to unbalance gameplay when commanding AI squads.

I've done this as well as on my server and the AI are not very accurate, they dont suck but their not 1 shot killers thats for sure.

Be sure to report with the vanilla mod, COSLX alone, mixed mods reports are not accurate, i should know with playing around with over 200+ mods with COWarMod.

I dont get trouble with it like I did as I had updated before COSLX release, but i still get a random RPT error.

Hi Günter

Wow, this is great - one of my favourite mods despite the bugs is now in a stable form. Fantastic work, it seemed SLX had been completely abandoned after Solus stopped working on it. You can be certain I'll be testing COSLX.

On HR4's point re standing dead - I tried using the full SLX with A2Warmod some time ago but got huge error lists in the .rpt plus quite a lot of standing dead. Didn't notice AIs getting stuck while alive - well, no more than usual :eek:

Very appreciative

Orcinus

Hi Orcinus,

Your welcome.

You dont need SLX in A2WarMod as its already in the Mod same for COWarMod, but the new SLX here

that i had updated being the A2SLX and COSLX I will be using these updated files soon to update both the A2WarMod and CoWarMod versions.

Gentlemen.

A friend of mine had given me some feedback about COSLX.

He found a bug and cant pinpoint what causes it. I have yet to test this but I wanted to report here so that anyone else can confirm.

The bug is when a vehicle, Humvee, or truck, even tanks get destroyed and humvees wouldnt burn after exploding there is no visible fire.

Can anyone confirm this,

Im pondering that this might be either COSLX, with CoWarMod or SLX alone not sure.

---------- Post added at 06:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 PM ----------

Just tested this, and I can confirm.

In vanilla Arma2CO vehicles, bmp,btr,tanks when blown up will blow up and have fire and smoke, as well as have random cook offs of ammo.

tested with COSLX, all I get is random cook offs, no explosion effects liek fire, or even smoke, its just a sitting wreck.

so this will be another thing I will be looking into to fix if possible.

Hi Günter

Bug report (sort of..)

Tried COSLX in a few missions, generally great :yay:

A few oddities as well as the standing dead/wounded:

In the first mission of Harvest Red, Dr Sova never follows Cooper (although the girl does). Tried this four times. Well, it was an A2 campaign anyway.

Tried COSLX with Jelliz' fun mission "All Along the Watchtower"; initially great, I was surprised right at the start when the AI leader took the team on a flanking move through the woods rather then the vanilla route directly across open ground. I have played this mission before with vanilla SLX & never saw that behaviour - whatever you fixed has made the AI use slx_ai_dodge (I guess) even though not under fire. A dramatic improvement. Yummy!

However the G36 sight was fubar - grossly enlarged, very blurred image & virtually no movement of the image even if you spin through 360 degrees. I suspect it's a mission issue since the G36 sights work fine in Kronsky's 'Moveable Target Range'. There's no problem with the sights playing Jelliz' mission in vanilla CO, so it isn't a mission-incompatibility problem.

Haven't tried playing with A2 + A2SLX instead, maybe will try it over the weekend. I guess the advice generally may be, if there are problems like that with older missions/campaigns, try playing them with A2/A2SLX.

I tried several of Wolle's great ports of CWC Classic missions - COSLX worked fine (apart from the standing dead issue) except in the "Return to Takistan" mission where the leader never ordered the medic to heal, nor did any NPC do any healing.

Thanks again for making SLX so much more useable - truly fine work.

BR

Orcinus

Hi Orcinus,

Thanks for the feedback.

I personally do not get the standing dead issue, i have not got that since the original version, I have no idea how or why some of you guys get that,

I mean I dont get it at all, so its got to be something on your end, something your playing with.

I would have not released the new version if i knew that bug was there, but as many as tests I did I did not encounter it.

I know that before the 1.59 patch that bug was reported, I remember Wipman reporting it, and I had that bug some time ago it

was random and not very often but it happened, but since my release of the updated SLX I have not come across nor encountered

the bug, and tbh I have no clue what causes it.

I think you will have to test it yourself and find out when you get the bug.

You'll have to do a process of elimination when you play.

play stock missions and then build a small mission. Its possible that i dont get that bug because i dont play nor ever have stock missions,

95% of the time I build my own, or I download and edit an existing mission I like.

My main concern for SLX right now is 2 feature problems:

No knife in hand but binos

1. When you have the knife and go to use it the binocular shows in your player characters hand,

I'm currently working on that with LoyalGuard seen here on this thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2043454#post2043454

No fire and smoke nor explosions of vehicles

2. Just reported yesterday was a bug found where when vehicles,a nd armor is blown up be it an rpg type round,

tank round, or whatever blows a vehicle up the vehicle will not burn or produce smoke like in the vanilla game.

Those are my priorities right now.

If some of you guys want to test on your own what file/s could be possible effecting and preventing the fires, and

smoke from occurring then by all means more power to you, I will definatley be looking into it.

The fire, smoke and explosions are intended AFAIK. Solus didn't think it was very realistic for every destroyed vehicle to blow up and such.

I believe SLX even checks the amount of ammo and fuel to calculate the chances of either blowing up or not.

This is to make it more realistic, although it takes away from the gameplay feedback knowing if you destroyed that vehicle or not.

Hey paragraphic,

Ya I knew that, Stupid me Im short on a wick this morning I must be tired or something cuz the answer was right in front of me :j:

I like realism but explosions are cool, and so is fire and smoke, we cant be to realistic that we forget that its a game were playing,

if you want realistic then join the military.

but remove this file and the explosions will be random, and the fires will occur as well as smoke.

SLX_Mod_Veh_Core

I believe SLX even checks the amount of ammo and fuel to calculate the chances of either blowing up or not.

yes it still does that without the file above.

Before you wouldn't get anything, not even a fire, or smoke.

so problem solved.

O.K. just ran a number of tests regarding the standing dead, using just the mods below, there were no standing dead with over 120ai in combat at one time on any of the tests, so must assume it’s conflicting mods..

CBA

ACE

All Acex

COSLX

O.K. just ran a number of tests regarding the standing dead, using just the mods below, there were no standing dead with over 120ai in combat at one time on any of the tests, so must assume it’s conflicting mods..

CBA

ACE

All Acex

COSLX

Well, my test was with only CBA & COSLX. I suspect some of the older A2 missions may have compatibility problems with OA itself.

Also - just tried "All Along the Watchtower" again but loading COWarmod (with the SLX files removed) plus COSLX & it worked fine. I guess the FNC in COWarmod solved the G36 scope problem. No standing dead, either :)

BR

Orcinus

Absolutely brilliant!

I've been using the prior version of SLX for quite some time, so the new additions and tweaks are quite noticeable while playing your updated version Günter.

An example; I'm a passenger in a blackhawk that engages the enemy over Tora Bora much too late and is hit by AA fire. The chopper goes does down, but not with enough force to be destroyed.

All crew and passengers survive, and after a quick regrouping we head towards the village where the enemy is situated. I receive a direct hit and go down, incapacitated but to my surprise one of the heli crewmembers come to my direct aid. I'm dragged several meters behind cover (in this case a large rock) where the pilot applies first aid and I'm revived.

All this, single player amongst regular AI. Excellent work!

Absolutely brilliant!

I've been using the prior version of SLX for quite some time, so the new additions and tweaks are quite noticeable while playing your updated version Günter.

Yeah, me too. I've played thomsonb's Flashpoint series quite a bit recently, & tried adding in SLX ,but had quite a few problems.

With COSLX, it's amazing - you no longer have to quit if you get incapacitated & get bored watching passing medics ignore you, any troops passing by will patch you up. I was astonished at the weekend when an enemy group sbadly wounded me, then waited while their medic healed me, & took me prisoner. I was waiting for an opportunity to see if escaping (or rescue) is possible, when an AH64 took out the neighbourhood.... including me.

With COSLX, CO becomes a markedly different game to vanilla. Sandbox-type unscripted escape & evade 'side-missions' could bring a whole new dimension to any compatible stock SP/Co-op mission or campaign. For me, COSLX is a must-have mod.

Now I want to see if it works OK with Demonized's Automedic script...

@ Günter: belgerot said it, brilliant work; I'm only now properly appreciating Solus' vision in creating SLX :cheers:

Orcinus

Thanks for the compliments.

99% of the credit should go to Solus as the mod is his ingenious work, only thing I did was fix a few files, remove all the bugs, and recompile it.

Thanks for the compliments.

99% of the credit should go to Solus as the mod is his ingenious work, only thing I did was fix a few files, remove all the bugs, and recompile it.

Agreed, Solus' ingenuity & creativity are excellent. However, you're being too modest IMHO - you waded through a largely undocumented mass of script and got it working in ways I at least never knew it could do. Kudos for taking it on and doing it so well!

BR

Orcinus

Yes, the healing aspect in itself is an amazing feat, making missions more enjoyable. I've noticed that sometimes when healing injured opfors, sometimes they become prisoners, sometime they try and escape or even turn on you. So gotta be prepared for what they do after they're healed up!

Great stuff, thanks for putting this together

There is never any smoke/fire effects when a vehicle is destroyed. I like the idea of smoke/fire being dependent on what components are hit, but there is never any effects at all.

Hi guys, been a bit,

I had lost my internet for some time, going through some financial difficulties right now, prob be gone again in a week here, but to answer any questions.

@JuggernautOfWar

read a a page or 2 back we had already covered your issue, remove the following file from the COSLX addons folder and you will get fire and smoke back.

slx_mod_veh_core

Hi guys, been a bit,

I had lost my internet for some time, going through some financial difficulties right now, prob be gone again in a week here, but to answer any questions.

Hi Günter

Sorry to hear that - I wish there was something useful I could say other than good luck & very best wishes. [Damn the wunch!]

OK, if you get a moment:

One issue with SLX (any flavour) is the dropped weapons, especially - but not only - launchers. It can be really painful, sometimes near impossible, to pick up a dropped launcher tube. It isn't very realistic, either. If you saw someone who dropped a pen or whatever inching back & forth before picking it up so as to get some precise distance from it, you'ld reasonably think the person quite demented. OK, dropping (some) weapons is realistic, but really, who needs further complications in already-horridly-clunky gear manipulations? And I question whether any weapon strapped to a soldier's back would fall off on death.

Is there any way to edit that out of SLX? I've lost count of the number of times I got killed off while trying to pick up a launcher tube. Frankly, it's ridiculously awkward.

Other than that, CO_SLX is a joy :yay:

BR

Orcinus

Hey Orcinus,

I have the same issue, I will look into it but there are some sweet spots on a dead character to pick up some weapons be it an AT tube or rifle.

I'd assume this is scripted in the files but need to figure out which one.

I would think if anything the weapons would need to be a separate container or object if that were the term so that its free from the body,

most times it is, but then all depends too on how the Ai got killed, more trouble is found when an Ai soldier is on their back,

thats when it gets tricky to pick up launchers, even weapons sometimes.

with my clan (bdr) we play even pvp with slx and is awesome.gunter a question.. warfx mod cause trouble with slx?, or anyone tested it?

Warfx for Arma2 or Bastcore for OA, either or I have both warfx in A2WarMod alone with A2SLX, and Blastcore in CoWarMod along with SLX and I have no issues.

Will GL3 ever be fixed thoroughly? I REALLY enjoy using it and it's a shame that it causes freezes in ARMA 2.