Sign in to follow this  
celery

COOP 10 Chernarus Apocalypse, part three - Addon-free zombie horror!

OFFICIAL STRATEGY GUIDE

Characters:

• The Writer has the most ammunition for the Glock 17. If you're attempting to solo the mission or the party is small, the Writer should be manned first and foremost.
  • The Reporter has a pistol, the ability to build and dismantle a campfire, and a GPS map that tracks all teammates. He's the obvious choice for a leader in games with more than 2 players.
  • The Doctor has 8 bandages - bandages that will surely be needed. Unless the party is exceptionally good at avoiding damage, the Doctor is a necessary character.
  • The Mercenary, the Marine and the Colonel all have a pistol and a suppressed automatic weapon. The weapons can be put to proper use in larger groups where pistol-only characters light up the sectors and these three dispose of the zombies with their better guns. The suppressors, if only the guns equipped with them are used, are a good way to avoid attracting zombies.
  • The rest of the characters are extra slots and shouldn't be picked unless the above slots are taken. They don't have flashlights, so they're dependent on characters that do until they can get their own.

General tips:

• Zombies are vulnerable to headshots. The vulnerability extends to the neck and upper chest area, at least with more powerful weapons.
  • Practice fire discipline by using a single shooter per zombie to avoid wasting ammunition. The rest should open fire only if the designated shooter fails to kill the target at a safe distance.
  • Have players with flashlights illuminate the zombies for the players with better guns but no attached flashlight. Additionally, if your party size allows it, have only players with suppressed weapons shoot the zombies for as long as possible in order to encounter less resistance.
  • When you're on the move, stop for every zombie that attacks you. If you keep running, you'll soon end up with a self-made horde on your heels.
  • Heal only when you have two strikes unless you have extra bandages and you're clearly heading into harm's way.
  • Closing doors behind you won't help you: it will only make it difficult for you to escape.
  • If you have space, take with you magazines for weapons belonging to an unused slot or extra ones that your party hasn't encountered yet. JIP players will be much better off and you will have extra ammunition for weapons you will find later on.
  • You can kite pursuing zombies by running backwards and bringing up the sights on the move for a very short duration to fire potshots. Requires good timing but is very useful.
  • Zombies sometimes drop bandages or magazines. In such cases, there will be red or yellow sparkles issuing from their bodies, respectively.
  • Vehicles generate noise that attracts zombies from double their normal aggro range.
  • Being unarmed reduces a zombie's aggro range to you by 80%, enabling you to go past them just by leaving a some 30 meter gap in between if you want to be sure.
  • If you die, you can go back to slot selection and choose another character provided you're not the host of a listen server and there are unused characters.

Objective tips:

• To get to the first objective, move along the road at a quick pace, stopping only to kill zombies and to regroup until you reach the forest entrance. From there on, advance slowly and watch all angles so as to not get ambushed unprepared. Do not wander off the road unless you want to die miserably.
  • After reaching the first objective and getting the formalities out of the way, loot the ammo box and turn the radio on. After listening to the radio for a bit, you'll get the code in written form in your task list. Use that and the morse code chart in the notes to decipher the code fast if you can't do it by ear.
  • When you're headed for the second destination, you should have more firepower than before. At this point you can concentrate more on readiness to shoot enemies at the possible expense of ammunition, as long as you don't outright waste it.
  • When you reach the final destination, form up in the most open and lit-up place you can find and take on the zombies coming at you. Holing up in the safehouse is a second alternative but you'll be at risk of being overrun after the slightest mistake.
  • After defeating the aggressors, spread out and systematically sweep the locale for the rest and head inside the safehouse.

Will there be a Part 4? I am so loving these things, it is the realism, scariness, and story that are amazing, and its the FUNNEST mod I have ever played for ArmA 2. Please, please make more, or at least more zombie survivals, these are so realistic and fun.

Will there be a Part 4? I am so loving these things, it is the realism, scariness, and story that are amazing, and its the FUNNEST mod I have ever played for ArmA 2. Please, please make more, or at least more zombie survivals, these are so realistic and fun.

There will definitely be more parts.

Yeah, congrats Celery this is an awesome concept. Looking forward to a coop campaign someday.

Could you get this working for the free version aswell, same as was done to part one and two? thank you.

Not possible: no flashlight in Arma 2.

Besides, Combined Ops is a really, really good purchase.

Not possible: no flashlight in Arma 2.

Besides, Combined Ops is a really, really good purchase.

Ah yeah, I see. I'm already owning combined ops it's more my friends who are new to the game.

They're trying out ARMA II free first. Thanks for the quick reply anyhow.

So many thanks for the new map.

We have managed to get much further than before.

But there was one bug. After the Reporter has died it was possible to take unlimited bandages from him. After 60 he gave up.

The reporter has take two bandages during the game. It might have something to do that he took a bandage from a Zombie while another one did the same.

Verry nice Zombie missions.

got part 1-3 on our server. we did part 3 with 7 people. it was verry fun :)

it had a good zoombie abmbient feeling. verry good work on this.

Celery now get back to work. im awaiting next part in the series :D jk.

CELERY YOU A**HOLE!!! LOL! A friend and I just got the farthest we have ever made it, and we were serching about the woods for... (Morse code task) and... dear lord Celery, I will never be the same because of that...

ghost... D: I saw it, it appeared right in front of me, and I just THREW my mic off, and about went over the back of my chair. My friend starts hauling a** out of the forest... and lets just say the ghost made sure he didnt arrive to the road again...

Celery, I love you so much, these are so much fun, and will never ever get old! THANK YOU FOR THESE!!! Please make a P4 soon! :D

Happy (and with soiled pants) customer-

Slade

so am i right that part three is not playable on a standalone arma 2 server? just with combined operations?

Zombies sometimes drop bandages or magazines. In such cases, there will be red or yellow sparkles issuing from their bodies, respectively.

Aahhhhhhhhhhh (sound of penny dropping). Anyone done these on their own at all? I try but ultimately fail, I know I will, its just part of the fun for me lol. Keep it up Celery this is too awesome to stop :bounce3:

Can you make one mission for 20+ players and revive. please?

this is a video of a mission based on your script

Sometimes our normal Arma2 weekly mission just dont work, then we choose to go bed or play some TvT, a random coop mission or yeah! Zombies!!!

5R381bvsRhE

Hi Celery,

Thought you might enjoy this footage from the Casual Group's most recent attempt at Chernarus Apocalypse pt3.

tJxAdF0a4OY

I recently succeeded in optimizing the zombie scripts so that the load on the server is only a fraction of what it used to be, and the result seems quite clear even in single player. The next zombie mission (not part 4) is on the way and will require the Cold War Rearmed² mod. It's difficult to give an ETA.

I recently succeeded in optimizing the zombie scripts so that the load on the server is only a fraction of what it used to be, and the result seems quite clear even in single player. The next zombie mission (not part 4) is on the way and will require the Cold War Rearmed² mod. It's difficult to give an ETA.

Hi Celery

Can you give me an estimate as to when Chernarus Apocalypse part 4 will be released? I really can't wait to play it!

Thanks!

Hi Celery

Can you give me an estimate as to when Chernarus Apocalypse part 4 will be released? I really can't wait to play it!

Thanks!

Sorry, no.

Is there some special way to host this on a server on just vanilla Arma 2 without having to go through combined ops? I get a error saying "unable to play/edit etc" (something to do with deleted files and such) when I try to host on just Arma 2. However when I host on combined ops/OA it works fine. Im curious how people are hosting on vanilla Arma 2 since the multiplayer lists/servers are separate between Arma 2 and CO/OA (at least for me). More people play it on the vanilla side it seems which is the reason for asking this. I thought that was the whole point of CO was combining Arma 2+ OA into one game. Its been a while since I last played Arma and not quite in the loop with the expansions and such.

There is no A2 version of part 3, first because the vanilla game has no assets that would make the mission enjoyable, second because people really need to get Combined Ops instead of staying with vanilla or free version.

There is no A2 version of part 3, first because the vanilla game has no assets that would make the mission enjoyable, second because people really need to get Combined Ops instead of staying with vanilla or free version.

I get the same error with all three parts on A2 though. I'll see the odd server playing it on CO, just more pop up on the vanilla side. Mind you it is just part 1/2 that I see.

I get the same error with all three parts on A2 though. I'll see the odd server playing it on CO, just more pop up on the vanilla side. Mind you it is just part 1/2 that I see.

You need to use the Free labeled versions.

You need to use the Free labeled versions.

Ahh, thanks. Great mod by the way. You think you'll do something similar for Arma 3 when it comes out?

Ahh, thanks. Great mod by the way. You think you'll do something similar for Arma 3 when it comes out?

Think??? We know he will. :thumb:

I personally can't wait to change clothes with a zombie.

Celery.. Fantastic Series.. I've only played part 3, i've just downloaded the other 2 parts..

My only one complaint is that the zombies zig zag to avoid your bullets. I can kinda see them running at you instead of the typical slow shamble, but Zombies in every movie I have seen come at you in a straight line - whether they are running or not. Is there a way we could edit a line of script making them just run at you straight? This is the only game breaker for me, other than that one point, I think it's the best zombie mod yet.