Sign in to follow this  
xgp0006

New to mission building BUT loving it, had a few questions.

I have seen many many videos on setting up the virtual UAV, virtual CAS evac and virtual artillery.

What I would really enjoy having a setup on my FOB template is the following:

Chopper that's playable loaded with a pilot and a gunner set that i can call to CAS evac me from anywhere on the map and bring my squad back to base.

Have a UAV that starts off in a hanger, i setup a trigger to start taxi(preset taxi waypoints) take off on runway and start its basic patrol, BUT i want it to still be controlled by UAV terminal A station at the base, A humvee terminal, and UAV pack. I also want to be able to call on the UAV via radio and tell it to patrol an area I select (basically the same function that you have when you call on the virtual script)

Thirdly id like to call an A10 airstrike where i have an actual Playable A10 parked in another hanger. Via radio trigger i activate its taxi path, have it take off and proceed on a bombing run where i select a point on the map OR use LaserDesignator

Lastly i was wondering about setting up a way to show the arty salvo in flight on the map screen i had seen this before in a youtube video....

I don't necessarily need the full tutorials on how to achieve these functions, BUT links to how to make them happen or links on where to learn to program these above functions would be GREATLY appreciated. I have been searching and browsing these forums learning a great deal with much success.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone that can lead to these solutions. :yay::yay:

Well your post is to long so I didn't read it all, but from I did read you can do most of it with scripting. There are just absolutely tons of scripts out there that will add the given functionality to the game. This forum is another great resource, but use it sparingly.

Here is a link to a script resource. They are easy to implement, just follow the directions.

Take care,

-Skelt, aka Bones

Hey and welcome to the forums xgp0006, all of the things you have mentioned can be found somewhere on the forums you just need to know where to look.

Most scripts come with a sample mission, download that and play around with it until you are familiar with how it works, then adapt it for your particular mission

Chopper that's playable loaded with a pilot and a gunner set that i can call to CAS evac me from anywhere on the map and bring my squad back to base.

There are heaps of air support scripts on the forums (literally dozens), including medevac and reinforcement drops

Have a UAV that starts off in a hanger, i setup a trigger to start taxi(preset taxi waypoints) take off on runway and start its basic patrol, BUT i want it to still be controlled by UAV terminal A station at the base, A humvee terminal, and UAV pack. I also want to be able to call on the UAV via radio and tell it to patrol an area I select (basically the same function that you have when you call on the virtual script)

It would likely be much easier to just spawn the UAV already flying then update its flight path (not sure how i've never tried using UAV's), there are scripts for this

Thirdly id like to call an A10 airstrike where i have an actual Playable A10 parked in another hanger. Via radio trigger i activate its taxi path, have it take off and proceed on a bombing run where i select a point on the map OR use LaserDesignator

There are dozens of scripts on the forums for this, but you don't need the aircraft to taxi as, there are a heap things that can go wrong during this process, sure it is a bit more realistic but in real life aircraft operate from bases that are hundreds of km away from the fighting. It is much easier to just spawn an aircraft a long distance away (say 3km), you could even put it on a time delay e.g. wait 2mins then spawn the aircraft to simulate travel time. Try searching for 'air support scripts'

Lastly i was wondering about setting up a way to show the arty salvo in flight on the map screen i had seen this before in a youtube video....

I believe that you can only see shells in flight on the Artillery fire computer from an artillery gun being used by the player but i wouldn't be surprised if someone has created a script for this

Also a tip for searching, limit the search to the 'Arma 2 Editing' section that way you don't pick up every post where someone has mentioned 'air support'

ah ok thanks a TON!

one of the things that confuses me is what goes into scripts, what going into the INI and what goes into On Act. i see lots of people posting scripts that would do what i want in theory but often times they dont say "ok place this in the ini of etc or build a sqf/sqs file and toss this in it" its just a post with a script of code and i am uncertain what to do with it. I ran through that ARMA 2 mission building PDF and i learned a good number of things still not enough for me to build or figure out the above requests.

thanks again for pointing me in these directions though.

Well I have hundreds of scripts that were provided by this community, and to be perfectly honest, most of those scripts had very good and thorough directions. I knew nothing of scripting before Arma 2 came out. You will find that 95% of the scripts you DL, or find in these forums are well documented.

How did I start? I started w/ DL'ing peoples scripts and following the directions provided. The majority will tell you how to execute the script properly. Other than following what myself and Wraith have provided, there really isn't much else we can help you with.

Your only alternative is to find the functionality your looking for inside of a addon.

Take care,

-Skelt, aka Bones

Welcome to the forums xgp0006.

reading your post I have a script perfect for you, also comes with 2 demo missions, see here:

Use this script for Air Support, its easy everything is done through the action menu and click on the map.

You can call in air strikes to drop all sorts of ordinances, as well as call a plane to do a cas, call a chopper to come and pick you up,

as well as have choppers come in and do cas.

You can also adjust the script so that if you wanted 1 feature you can.

Air Support

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8337

I use this all the time, it works well, any questions let me know.

Thanks a bunch! I have downloaded and am checking out this script right now this moment. Ill let ya know how it goes!