Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Copy Protection/DRM

Hi Team

I feel that Bohemia Interactive has always treatened us customers well. Even Arma2 had it's disk check removed after a while, there's no silly connection requirements or such.

Is the same relationship planned with TOH, or are you going to introduce online activation, Steam requirements or other such things? For me a game is only really MY game when I can install it with privacy and with no need to register or beg for authorization at an online service.

It gets harder each month to find games that we really "own" and are not just leasing/renting. Please keep providing us with titles on physical media and customer-friendly copy protection. I sure could need a good helo sim.

regards

Helmut

(Sprocket pre-order copy)

After I installed the beta I had to re-submit my serial for what is some sort of DRM. I had to enter the serial a second time because I failed to enter the dashes (-).

the authentication did not trigger after a successful serial entry.

I have to assume the same copy protection will be in place for the official release.

this 'one and done' type of DRM appears harmless...

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

You can expect a very similar DRM situation as with your previous releases, which we believe is fair to both you and us :) No permanently online system for example.

While I could live with a one-time activation, that still begs the question what happens when in three or four years the company running the activation servers may not want to keep maintaining them. I'm running flightsims that are 8 years old, some of those companies no longer around. With an activation requirement I would be up a creek for a reinstall of those classics. That's the conceptual problem I have with systems relying, even infrequent, on 3rd party services after sale.

This of course is not an issue if for example a patch could be released after a year or such, removing the activation requirement.

Thanks for the replies, the answers sounds encouraging - waiting for the reports on the physical disk then.

That is one of the key reasons why we remove DRM from our releases several month after the initial launch for both physical and online versions (see Arma 1, Arma 2, Operation Arrowhead as good examples of our past treatment to our customers in terms of DRM).

We design games that last years to many our users and we do not want DRM issues to stop them from enjoying it.

While I could live with a one-time activation, that still begs the question what happens when in three or four years the company running the activation servers may not want to keep maintaining them. I'm running flightsims that are 8 years old, some of those companies no longer around. With an activation requirement I would be up a creek for a reinstall of those classics. That's the conceptual problem I have with systems relying, even infrequent, on 3rd party services after sale.

This of course is not an issue if for example a patch could be released after a year or such, removing the activation requirement.

Thanks for the replies, the answers sounds encouraging - waiting for the reports on the physical disk then.

Yeah, DRM/Copy protection in your products has never been any problem. The only problem i've ever had was with OFP when Codemasters was involved.