Sign in to follow this  
welcome to hell

[Vehicle/Aircraft] Improvement Thread

New Features

- Shooting out of vehicles/helicopters. (Using personal weapons)

- [Render To Texture] Rear view mirrors, view-ports, periscopes, In-Vehicle computer fire control systems.

- Intractable 3D switches(cockpits) from Take On Helicopters.

- 6 Directions of freedom inside vehicles/aircraft. Track IR/Freetrack. AND Toggle with a key +configurable controls for mouse/keyboard.

- Vehicle door animations and door hinges with physics.

Partial Destruction

- Detailed component driven damage modelling

BzpUVtVUBTI

- Destructible individual armor/vehicle parts:

- Working ballistic/penetration system. (Rounds bounce, based on angle, distance and velocity.) Front, Left, Right, Rear armor plates penetrated.

- Destructible glass parts. (With Physics)

- Destructible tracks on armor (With Physics, and vehicle actually driving off the track)

- Destructible vehicle optics. (View-ports/Searchlights/IR/Thermal/Cameras) Damaged and destroyed by direct small arms fire.

- Working Explosive Reactive armor.

- Doors, hatches, lights, radar, wings, take off gear, can be blown off the vehicle permanently.

- Visual indicators of damage/vehicle being knocked out of action:

- Fuel Tank/Engine catching fire.

- Rubber Tyre's catching fire.

- DECALS/MODELS placed on the vehicle in the spot where it has been hit by AT weapons / small ARMS.

CREW

- Inverse Kinematics support from Take on Helicopters.

- Crew injury inside Armor.

- Crew catching fire.

- (Hatch open) Turned Out => Only then allowed to exit the vehicle.

- Open Doors => Only then allowed to exit the vehicle.

- Open Canopy => Only then allowed to exit aircraft (except eject).

- (Hatch open) Turned Out => Only then allowed reload Machine-gun/Grenade Launcher mounted on top.

- Choose which backseat specifically to move to.

- Drag out dead or injured crew/passengers.

General annoyances:

- When Turned out the zoom level is set too high, (need to manually zoom out). Set zoom level lower, while turned out.

- When Turned out "Free Look" is off, mouse controls the steering. Turn free look "ON" automatically while turned out.

- Inseparable Look and Aim controls. If Aim (Up, Down, L, R) bound to W,A,S,D. Than W,A,S,D will control the camera in free look instead of steering the vehicle and controlling throttle. Separate controls for Aiming the turret/Steering with Adjusting the camera while turned out or inside the vehicle.

- Give us W,A,S,D turrets [separate turret/driving controls and looking controls] In order for players to Steer vehicle, Pitch and Yaw turret with W,A,S,D and free look with mouse.

- Toggle Turret Stability control [Only on Supported Vehicles]. Currently turret is pointing independent of the tank heading/turn angle (Unless crew turned out). Need an option to be toggled and only allowed on certain vehicles.

- Do not force "Turn In" on any human crew members when firing/turret traverse.

- Add ability to traverse turret/fire when "turned out" on select vehicles.

- Adjustable VOIP/Radio levels while inside Vehicles/Armor/Aircraft. (Engine,

movement noise). Only available to those who wear Crewman/Pilot headgear?

Edited by Welcome To Hell
Aded component-driven damage modeling video and thread link.

I have to say that my main concern is that I hate it when I shoot a light vehicle with small arms, just to turn it into a completely destroyed wreckage.

I say light vehicle but it happens with every single vehicle, you know.

It's wrong and awkward!

We would need detailed damage modeling. People are discussing it in this thread.

Every other feature you mentioned and in general vehicles simulation overhaul surely wouldnt hurt the game to me, and would be nice to have.

But I think its also about the scope of the game, its purpose(focusing on infantry?*), and BI resources.

*I know many people question the way you can simulate infantry warfare without simulating properly assets that play a huge role in warfare(vehicles/planes/chopper) and their main advantages and disadvantages.

Btw while I was typing I forgot what my point was! Hope the post makes sense! :confused:

Damn, I konw something is missing but I can´t remember it...

Lets start with realistic driving. Sliding on Mud/Sand, more grip on roads when you have rubber tires, less grip when you have tracks. (PhysX)

Get rid of TAB targeting in Tanks. Commander must assign Targets with right klick or through target list.

AI Tank gunners choose appropriate ammo. HE Rounds against infantry, AT against tanks, but if suddenly a tank appears and the gunner has a HE round loaded, then first shoot that round at him, then load AT.

Proper Tactics for Tank/APC crews. APC Crews and dismounted Infantry should work together

Realistic Armor penetration. Small RPGs shouldn´t be able to blow up a MBT

Yeah. They gotta ditch the hit-points system.

I Remember killing M1A1 Abrams in ArmA 1 with 4 M249 belts. WWII online had partial damage 7 years ago.

The fact that they are goin to introduce the flight model of TOH could mean that they are willing to improve the vehicle simulation aspect of the game but maybe dont have the resources to do that on all the kinds of vehicles.

If they didnt care they could have just left it to TOH.

My fear is that if they had some news on the matter of damage model or improved vehicle simulation they would already have showed us something. Or at least dropped a "slightly improved vehicle simulation" line in the ArmA3 website, considering the amount of "complains" on the matter.

But we can always hope! Or turn our heads when our super MRAP turns into a wreck all of a sudden and catches fire, pretending its realistic and look in youtube for some video where the same thing happens in Iraq or A'stan so we can say "See? It's realistic!1"

Yeah. They gotta ditch the hit-points system.

I Remember killing M1A1 Abrams in ArmA 1 with 4 M249 belts. WWII online had partial damage 7 years ago.

The current damage system no longer works like that.

They're introducing TKOH's flight model to ArmA3?

That kind of sucks.

It's optional :)

That kind of sucks.

why would that suck in the first place?

That kind of sucks.

I think thats awesome! Flying helos will be a nice challenge.

That kind of sucks.

Flying in ArmA 2 has become boring for me, there's no challenge involved. I'd welcome a new flight model, it would have to be set server-side if optional though.

:)

I agree. TKOH flight model is a must as a server side option.

One of the biggest problems with most popular multilayer game-modes such as Evolution, Domination and Warfare.

Is that there is a need to grind points before getting any Air Support. Also, any noob can jump in the helo at start and 60% of the time it is someone who does not know how to fly.

Therefore the whole team packed in the chopper at the beginning of a multilayer game ends up crashed at take off, crashed into a tree/house [Pilot showing off impressive low flying skills], crashed at landing, or shot down by enemy AA.

Leave logistics and flying to people how know how to do it, average Joe should just grab a rifle and hop in the back instead of trying to show off his impressive low flying skills. Rifleman need not to know how to even start a chopper, tank, apc. Again this is only a server setting. There should still be servers that anybody can hope on to and have some arcade flying fun, also there is singleplayer.

Can anyone please clarify (at least based on the TKOH community preview) what the differences/ additons are between the Arma 2 heli flight model and the fancy-schmancy TKOH one? E.X Will steering be more/less percise or the effects of X/Y feature be more prominent? Please make sure to explain in Layman's terms so I can underdstand:) Thank you!

TAKOH seems to be built on a "flight model" rather than simplified for arcade use. Why don't you try the CP for yourself. Create a separate player profile for CP only, choose expert difficulty, and verify all helpers are turned off.

In real life, it takes a lot more practice to fly a helicopter than to toss a grenade out a door. Currently in A2/OA, the opposite is true - anyone can "fly" a chopper after three attempts, and few (myself included) have yet to succeed on tossing out a grenade through a door without having it bounce back.

TAKOH seems to be built on a "flight model" rather than simplified for arcade use. Why don't you try the CP for yourself. Create a separate player profile for CP only, choose expert difficulty, and verify all helpers are turned off.

In real life, it takes a lot more practice to fly a helicopter than to toss a grenade out a door. Currently in A2/OA, the opposite is true - anyone can "fly" a chopper after three attempts, and few (myself included) have yet to succeed on tossing out a grenade through a door without having it bounce back.

I would love to but may gaming PC is dead and will not be back for a LOOONG time, so I cannot play even "light" games on my current PC, it's really shitty! So im just curious if anything stands out to you or anyone else, so I can maybe have some more info on how the super-realistic flight-model will be in Arma 3, since there is no offical news about anything for a month, im desperate for anything possibly relevent:o

As a side note do planes in A2 have a flight model that is realistic? just curios.

Edited by BobcatBob

No, not realistic. AN-2 can fly backwards, and hovering isn't particularly edgy. A10 is actually quite a bit nose heavy which is a nice addition, but during normal flight no aircraft handles accurately. Normal flight is probably kinda easy in real life anyway, so it doesn't bother me as much as the helicopters. A bit more time on engine startup and turbine spoolup times would go a long way on improving it.

Edit: I'm not the guy to ask though. I'm (well, was) very much into flying, but it limits itself to smaller GA aircraft, not military and not turbine. Even in flight simulators I stick with advanced twins rather than bump up to turbines and jets :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I'm the only guy who thing that the acceleration of vehicles need to be tweak ?

perhaps in beta because if I have understand, the beta is focused on vehicle.

I hope that there will be a lot of improvements about vehicles in beta. (engine, fly model, drive model, maniability, physix , collisions...)

please vote on feedback

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=325

arma3 Quad start full throttle (in a little hill)

arma3 Quad start full throttle (on flat ground)

arma3 pick up start full throttle (in a little hill)

arma3 pick up start full throttle (on flat ground)

In real-life Quad acceleration is like that (start at 0:35)

let see powerful of a ATV for kids (more powerful than the arma quad ;)

In real-life Off-road acceleration is like that (I know that it's a tuned off-road but I don't found an other vid...)

Edited by gonza

I'm all for improvement in damage modeling and the sorts. I'm also for anything vehicular in improvement.

I don't know,but i have a feeling we gonna need ACE again :(

This all what we discussed here should have been done before alpha release :) ,it's not in 2 months that things will change ...

Well,i wouldn't get my expectations to a high level,but at least i hope they give us enough scripting commands to change vehicles !

Patience - who knows what we will get in the end. You know that BIS works on improving their simulations throughout their life anyway.

+1, Arma is pretty lacking on the vehicle simulation side atm.

I can't guarantee what BI-delivered vehicles will look like, but if you take a look at some of the WIP mods, there's some interesting stuff as far as what the engine may allow for. :D

I can't guarantee what BI-delivered vehicles will look like, but if you take a look at some of the WIP mods, there's some interesting stuff as far as what the engine may allow for. :D

Look at Swedish Army Mod - theres CV-90 with (probably animating) backdoors so this combined with possibility of walking inside vehicles (could be possible with crouch stance or so) = disembarking animation not needed :)