Sign in to follow this  
twirly

TWIRL_Hide v 1.0

TWIRL Hide v1.0

Dated: 7-Oct-2011

Thanks to DMarkwick for the idea and the use of the viewblock model from JTD_Hide. All credit to you mate.

This has been tested in Single Player only and was not intended for Multiplayer. I'm not sure what will happen there!

The primary purpose of this addon is to enhance the players ability to hide from the AI. There is no reason in the world why the enemy should simply see you, as they do... if you are in the grass lying still. Especially if you are a trained sniper in a Ghillie suit!! It's just not going to happen!

It allows you to be the sniper you want to be. It allows that SF guy hiding in you to sneak into the enemy base to plant those charges without being detected.

Don't think it makes it easy because it doesn't. It just makes it, in my opinion, a little more fair... and when used only with the Ghillie snipers, more realistic.

The addon can also be activated on the general AI so they can hide from each other when lying still. I found it actually works surprisingly well on them if they're just looking. It also works great on the AI members your squad..

Lost of stuff can be defined with variables.. or nothing at all needs to be defined for basic use.

Things that can be set/adjusted are:-

* As this is an invisible view block... it can't be seen... therefore debugging can be turned on and a visible viewblock shown to aid in tweaking your settings.

* The surfaces on which the player will be able to hide can be specified. Alternatively all surfaces can be allowed then you can hide on concrete!

* The unit type(s) that can be used with the mod can be specified. Alternatively all unit classes can be allowed.

* Head movement can be free (will not effect your ability to hide) or restricted by setting various rates of movement.

* Body movement can be restricted by setting various rates of movement.

* The rise and fall rates of the viewblock can be adjusted.

* A factor for using a weapon can be adjusted so that any use of a weapon will cause a drastic difference in your visibilty to the AI.

* A timeout can be set so the hide is not available again to quickly after being deleted. Either deleted by the player shooting or moving too much.

In the download there is a readme file and a couple demo missions. Nothing great but shows how to use the addon.

I can already see a few things that in my opinion need addressing but that is for the next version. Whenever that is!

Anyway... enough fiddling with this... it's time to post!

Hope you like,

-twirly-

PBO and Demo missions :-

TWIRL_Hide v1.0 at Mediafire

TWIRL_Hide v1.0 at Armaholic

TWIRL_Hide v1.0 at ArmedAssault.info

A very simple demo has been added here. In this demo I placed the code in the soldiers init.

Edited by twirly
Added new link.

The unit type(s) that can be used with the mod can be specified. Alternatively all unit classes can be allowed.

Nice, I guess this is a gem to single out certain camo types/Ghillie suits.

fantastic idea - let's hope the BIS devs jump on this and implement it in Arma3

Credit really goes to DMarkwick with his JTD_Hide. My ideas sprung from that addon. I'm using his viewblock with permission.

But yeah... personally this has increased my fun factor immensely. I like having the ability to hide. As I should!!!

Cool!

Another great addon/mod for the community!

The idea of the mod would actually bring more realism back into the game as before the AI rather destroyed

the concept being able to see through stuff we cant.

Well done twirly!

Man, im lost... I just cant get it to work without the demo example.

Ive made my mission, put in the init of my unit im using:

nul = [] execVM "TWIRL_Hide\script\autohide.sqf";

not working! also done that in the init.sqf like it says in the readme! and still not working.

Could it be cause ive put the mod inside my own mod folder? so its not "TWIRL_Hide" its this "My_Mods" which has the mods I use in it including Twirl Hide.

In the mission folder itself ive just got the mission.sqm and init.sqf this is right? the readme says:

The addon can be started on a player by a very simply from your init.sqf like this:-

Ive dont but no result!

Also this:

Nothing else really needs to be set for it to work. Hard coded default values will be used. Players of any soldier

type will have the ability to hide.. but I do suggest to turn on debugging until you get the hang of

what's going on.

To debug the player and make the viewblock visible place this code in the line before you call the script:-

TWIRL_Hide_ShowModel = TRUE;

Nothing else really needs to be done? ... for me it does! lol... even when I add - TWIRL_Hide_ShowModel = TRUE; nothing happens!

its right to add this in the init.sqf right? man im being such a n00b with this one, lol sorry

Any help would be great, thanks...

Edited by DarkXess

Hi mate... seems you found something I need to change. Two of the defaults need fixing.

Use this code and it will work like you want it to. I'll release an updated version soon.

TWIRL_Hide_Enabled = true;
TWIRL_Hide_AllSurfaces = true;
TWIRL_Hide_ShowModel = true;

Thanks for drawing this to my attention! I thought it was tested properly... but must have made some last minute change.

EDIT: You're probably better off copying and using the autohide_init.sqf file from one of the demo missions. If you do that you will be able to set it up the way you want. Just edit the autohide_init.sqf to suit yourself.

Execute autohide_init.sqf and that will execute the correct script. Like this...

nul = [] execVM "autohide_init.sqf";

Edited by twirly
Added stuff

I have problems making this work. When I load the mission I get the message

you cannot play/edit this mission .

It is dependent on downloadable content that has been delete .extra_vehicles.

What should I do?

I have problems making this work. When I load the mission I get the message

you cannot play/edit this mission .

It is dependent on downloadable content that has been delete .extra_vehicles.

What should I do?

Download from either Armaholic or Medifire. The download from ArmedAssault.info requires mods that you may not have.

Example missions now updated at all links.

Edited by twirly

Thanks Twirly! lol... always knew it was my fault! hahahaha... so now we use it like in the readme originally says or like you said 2 posts above ^^ ? Thanks man.

@Nikiforos - Extra Vehicles & Units. ;)

Can't it be made so it's as simple as dropping the PBO into a mod folder then it just works and perhaps can be accesed via the action menu? If a person is new to the game its to much faffing about putting in the lines of the script EDIT= forgot to mention thanks for the work

Edited by action man

Can't it be made so it's as simple as dropping the PBO into a mod folder then it just works and perhaps can be accesed via the action menu? If a person is new to the game its to much faffing about putting in the lines of the script EDIT= forgot to mention thanks for the work

What you want then is JTD_Hide.... which is simpler and works with the Action menu. This was made because I didn't like having to use the actions. This also has a lot of adjustments and is made to be more complex.

Lol! I know I'll never please everybody.... but I sure can please myself and some others!

Has anyone figured out how to make this work outside of the example missions? If so, could you post some instructions?

I really want to use this in a campaign I'm working on but, as noted above, the readme instructions don't work, and I tried the "updated" instructions too (copy autohide_init.sqf from the example missions etc...) but still no luck.

I'm just trying to make a template mission that I can use. I tried to strip down the example missions into a template but the init.sqf has all kinds of crazy things going on. A simple editable mission without fancy hint text and all that would be extremely useful. :rolleyes:

First off....are you sure it's not working?.... you are not going to see anything. It's invisible!

Sorry if it seems a bit complicated for you.... but it was meant to be more complicated than JTD_Hide and give options so you can actually set up how much you can hide.

Try putting this in your init.sqf and then run your test mission.

TWIRL_Hide_Enabled = true;
TWIRL_Hide_AllSurfaces = true;
TWIRL_Hide_ShowModel = true; //to see the model.

A very simple demo is here. In this demo I placed the code in the soldiers init.

Run the demo....go prone and wait.

Edited by twirly
Added link