Sign in to follow this  
DeclaredEvol

Sound of Mahem!!! I've got good news...

I've been working on a project to revolutionize the games audio, but I am not 100% sure of its success JUST yet. The sound mod will contain REAL war tape recording, and some of it is recorded RAW off of a gun range... and not processed in a game. So technically, there is literally nothing illegal about what I am doing. I will try to explain it more briefly now, I record sounds fromm youtube... and convert sounds to make them more clear. The PKM was recorded from a REAL gun range that BF3 used.

Now to explain a little clearly, last night I was tired and on medicine and I wasn't clear on this discussion which I am sorry. The idea of this mod, is to take real gun sounds and make them with better quality. Less weird effects like a bunch of echoes and backdrop sounds. And making them more messy or loud, and this is actually what I would refer to as less concentrated effects. But to be honest, that is how a real gun sound is and usually if the gun is in your hand... you can only hear so much. Most of all, the echo effects... are way too far out of ArmA 2's league. When you here these wild sounding echos, sometimes they don't really make all too much sense in the area of use. So using just open gun sounds without echos, would be a little more on the side of ArmA 2's engine. Not to complain, but the engine was made for very basic gun sounds and effects. What I am doing is actually optimizing the best sound with little work. So ArmA 2 isn't either too boring nor too real. And the gun sounds are not bad, the technique was used in previous real time video games that didn't want to go too far with it.

Example of INF 2.9, my main goal is to mimic this:

[Playlist] <---Click Here to Download Demo sound

-First three sounds are the M4 and M4A1 both... [100% real rec]

-Second three sounds is the MP5Navy Silenced, all REAL recording [100% real rec]

-Last four sounds is actually the PKM, one round firing... and the last is letting it rip [100% real rec]

{Features}

The sound effects are massive, the first mod will obviously be gun sounds... the second mod will be explosions, rockets, sonic cracks, impacts, and wounding sounds... and possibly even injury sounds. The last mod, which I don't know if I am up for it... possibly do vehicles.

I might end up needing some help on the programming side, so if anyone possibly... could help out... I would be honored!

Edited by DeclaredEvol

and some of it is recorded RAW from the new Battlefield game.

So this has sound effect files from Battlefield 3? Or sounds recorded from battlefield 3 running in the background or something?

Edited by Max Power

It is more messy, and more Hollywood sounding like on BF3 or UT99 INF. It is a big mixture of Hollywood, and the real deal.

hmm, why just not go for the real thing, id rather have real sounds in a sound pack not hollywood nor sounds from another game.

You cant just rip sounds from another game and use them in your mod unless you love having lawsuits filed against you...

You should check the licensing agreements before you do anything.

I know others have used sounds from other games and so far have gotten away with it, but it is still a risky practice and one that shouldn't be encouraged.

I think its really OK, if you're not making profit from your mod...

If its ripped from a commercial product and redistributed for free its not.

[100% real rec]

These sounds are not ripped from video games, I ripped them from youtube from people actually shooting guns. But the PKM is the only gun up till now that is recorded from the Battlefield 3 recorders, and if I can actually explain this correctly this time. The Battlefield 3 PKM, is not the same sound... they were firing the gun in real life as I recorded the HD gun sound my self. So this was recorded 100% authentically at a gun range. I'm not ripping anything from any software or game, that's what I said most assuredly in the opening thread.

---------- Post added at 06:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

If its ripped from a commercial product and redistributed for free its not.

Actually, you are WRONG and before you say it is. Maybe you should compare the sounds yourself... I am very disgruntled by what I am hearing. Each sound effect is 100% filmed footage on youtube, and I made them high quality for ArmA2.

Actually, you are WRONG and before you say it is. Maybe you should compare the sounds yourself... I am very disgruntled by what I am hearing. Each sound effect is 100% filmed footage on youtube, and I made them high quality for ArmA2.

I think you are misinterpreting what Rock said. He is replying to Anders. Anders said that you can rip audio from commercial sources under fair use, or some such thing. Rock says you can not. There are usually EULAs that prevent you from deconstructing a product, and I'm sure DICE are not fools. I don't think Rock is implying where you get your audio from. He's only commenting on what Anders said.

I think you are misinterpreting what Rock said. He is replying to Anders. Anders said that you can rip audio from commercial sources under fair use, or some such thing. Rock says you can not. There are usually EULAs that prevent you from deconstructing a product, and I'm sure DICE are not fools. I don't think Rock is implying where you get your audio from. He's only commenting on what Anders said.

@DeclaredEvol - Max Power is perfectly correct. I wasnt suggesting anything was ripped. Just replying to anders.

@Max in this application "Fair use" is never going to be applicable once the 'product' is published on the internet. People really should be more aware of thier rights and obligations. :(

Oh haha, most certainly... I would never crack sounds from any other game. Especially licensed ones lol

more or less, this mod might actually end up being really nice... even if it isn't 100% the way most modders do their work. I will release updates on how the guns sound further away... it will actually be quite a ride finding out!

honest feedback:

The audio samples you presented are really "dirty". You can hear massive volume drop offs, crispy reverbs and really heavy background noises.

The M4 sample contains a very strange fade-out with a bass source and crispy murmuring ( could even be the BF3 thing you talked about)

The MP5 is VERY high pitched and the shot itself seemed like it was a very low frequency sample. Same goes for the reverb. Still a alot of background noices.

The RPK, with an reworked tail, is already pretty good for an midrange distance sample!

On a sideonote: Almost every soundmodders uses real recordings, nothing special about that ;)

Anyways, I like your commitement! It is always nice to see some more guys in the "soundmodding world". I simply recommend you to take a close look ( or hear) to your raw samples as they are the most important thing in order to make a good sound sample. Always look for the best quality and you will be good to go.

Do some experiments with different samples, listen carefully, edit again and you will be able to make the mod you wish to do.

Best regards

Pure

:)

@PurePassion

Thanks man, I realize some of it is actually low quality. I've actually improved some of it up to now. And for the M4 sounds, those were horrible... I am probably going to try and find something just a little better. I could hear things in the background on that, so yes! Most likely it will take a little while to find some of this stuff. But the MP5SD is actually 100% authentic, didn't take much to work with it.

DeclaredEvol I support you 100% I always respect people who are creative and want to make things better for the benefit of all community.

DeclaredEvol I support you 100% I always respect people who are creative and want to make things better for the benefit of all community.

thanks! I most surely do, but since this is my first ArmA 2 related mod... I am going to have to try and learn based on tutorials. I understand how to convert the files with BITools, but the part where I literally put the script in is where I may take a little time. Nothing I cannot do, I've done some pretty good scripting in the past for other games.

My opinion is go on youtube and start watching any helmet cam videos that are decent quality, go watch documentaries such as Restrepo and Armadillo so you can really hunt for audio that sounds similar.

Videos of guys shooting their weapons in the woods typically isn't what you're looking for when trying to capture soudn.

*sigh*, if only I had some help