Sign in to follow this  
xeno426

TGW RAH-66 Commanche for CO

Updated 09 November, 2011

th_RAH66_Liftoff-1.jpgth_RAH66_Idle.jpgth_RAH66_Vanity.jpg

th_RAH66_Missilelaunch.jpgth_RAH66_Engagement-1.jpg

This mod is an update of modEmMaik's DKMM RAH-66 Comanche to OA standard, along with several other model and config improvements. The original texture has been changed, and a template has been provided, conveniently located in the "template" folder. The overall skin may be changed using hiddenSelectionsTextures.

hiddenSelections[]={"camo1", "custom_map"};
hiddenSelectionsTextures[]={"\modem_dkmm_rah66\data\rah66_body_co.paa", "\modem_dkmm_rah66\data\maps\desert.paa"};

The main gun has two magazines to choose from, "modem_dkmm_500Rnd_XM301" (500 rnd magazine) and "modem_dkmm_320Rnd_XM301" (320 round magazine). As a note of realism, the planned loadout would have been more commonly 320 rounds.

Changes from the original:

• Fixed the wreck falling into the ground
  • Fixed hits on hull displaying as mud impacts
  • Fixed lack of proper penetration values for different parts of the aircraft
  • Fixed weapon display names
  • Added limited translations for several mod objects (weapons, descriptions, etc)
  • Removed USAC faction; variants that were once USAC are now part of the BIS US Army faction
  • Skins swapped; USMC now has green scheme skin, while US Army has default gunmetal grey skin
  • Added flare countermeasures
  • Added OA radar and lock warning systems
  • Added thermal mapping on the vehicle skin
  • Added new fire modes for XM301
  • Added thermal imaging and zeroing for the gunner
  • Improved rotor blur
  • Improved fire geometry
  • Improved rvmat settings
  • Made use of some of the sound files provided in the original mod
  • Reworked inheritencies of many mod objects

This mod requires Combined Operations (ArmA2 + OA) to work properly.

Known issue:

Fire Geometry could still be better. I'm working on my (simple) modeling skills for it.

Credits:

• DKM-Mod team for original model
  • modEmMaik & Cyborg11 for giving permission to modify the model
  • [GLT]Myke and zGuba for lots of help and pointers
  • SGT_SAVAGE for the new rotor and engine sounds

Changelog:

New engine and rotor sounds (thanks to SGT_SAVAGE)

Fixed a shadow lod issue with regards to the rotor blades

Re-enabled the pilot's ability to open and close the weapons bay

Initial public release

0.9x

Internal test version

MediaFire Mirror:

- TGW RAH-66 Comanche v1.1

Armaholic Mirror:

ArmedAsssault.info Mirror:

EDIT:

Now with improved screenshots!

Edited by Xeno426
update

Great to see that this great addon has been updated, thanks.

Edited by Laqueesha

:clap: Thank you for your work Xeno426 !!!

One quick question : For changing the overall skin do I have to put this below into the helicopter's init line? (tried but got "missing ;" message...) did I miss something?

hiddenSelectionsTextures[]={"\modem_dkmm_rah66\data\rah66_body_co.paa", "\modem_dkmm_rah66\data\maps\desert.paa"};

Thanks for the mirrors. First post updated.

One quick question : For changing the overall skin do I have to put this below into the helicopter's init line? (tried but got "missing ;" message...) did I miss something?

That hiddenSelectionsTextures[] I have listed is the default (grey) texture that comes with the mod. To change the skin to a custom one, you need to either create an addon that has a vehicle which inherits from the base modem_dkmm_rah66 or from one of the default variant bases (modem_dkmm_rah66_scout, modem_dkmm_rah66_at, modem_dkmm_rah66_aa) and include the line

hiddenSelectionsTextures[]={"dir to your custom texture", "\modem_dkmm_rah66\data\maps\desert.paa"};

to change the texture.

Alternatively, you could use the following script in the init of the vehicle

this setObjectTexture [0, "custom texture"]

Where "custom texture" is the directory and name of your new texture. The number in front tells the game which of the hiddenSelectionsTextures to use (0 is first, 1 is second, etc). You can also use the script function setObjectTexture to make all instances of a specific vehicle class to your new texture, but you'll have to ask a mission maker how to do that as I have no clue.

Great work! The highspeed handeling could do a little better but ive never flown one in real life so maybe its not a bug its a feature :) its just a little slower then the Hind in the corners and thats like the biggest gunship in the world. I also realy like the cockpit, the details are quite good there is a little peace of attention in the armrest of the pilot that texture seems to be a bit out of shape. but again great addon, thx ! :bounce3::yay:

Great work! The highspeed handeling could do a little better but ive never flown one in real life so maybe its not a bug its a feature :) its just a little slower then the Hind in the corners and thats like the biggest gunship in the world. I also realy like the cockpit, the details are quite good there is a little peace of attention in the armrest of the pilot that texture seems to be a bit out of shape. but again great addon, thx ! :bounce3::yay:

Thanks, but I can't take any credit for any textures in the cockpit; I really suck at texturing. All I did was use an nVidia Photoshop plugin to add normal maps to it. I rather wish I could improve on the cockpit's textures, but I'm better at editing config files.

Regarding the handling, I'm not sure what you were looking for. The speeds are in line with published specifications. Keep in mind that despite its size, the Hind is one of the fasted stock production choppers out there. I'm also not sure how to change the vehicle handling, so it just inherits the AH-1Z handling characteristics.

Not bad, the sounds still need work seems its inheriting some of the vanilla arma 2 uh1y's sounds or rotor sounds. That hud needs to go especially now you have updated with OA hud :)

thx, all clear now concerning the textures.

btw handling is great imho. most mod helicopters are responding way to aggressive in relation to their size/ weight (even with a saitek x52 pro) which results in unrealistic maneuverability.

thinking about it I got another question: playing with an ai gunner I can't find a way to close or order to close the weapon bay...

have a nice day Xeno426. :cheers:

Not bad, the sounds still need work seems its inheriting some of the vanilla arma 2 uh1y's sounds or rotor sounds. That hud needs to go especially now you have updated with OA hud :)

I left the model's original hud intact because I don't know how the config for BIS huds worked, otherwise I would happily take a crack at giving the Comanche a proper OA-style hud.

thinking about it I got another question: playing with an ai gunner I can't find a way to close or order to close the weapon bay...

Only the gunner can open and close the weapons bay, which is what modEmMaik intended. Should I set it back to the way it was in the original?

Only the gunner can open and close the weapons bay, which is what modEmMaik intended. Should I set it back to the way it was in the original?

It's great that way if you play with a human gunner, plz don't change.

Maybe it's possible to make the AI gunner close the bay automatically if those weapons aren't needed at the moment and make him open it when missles are selected?

If that's too complicated (and I honestly have no idea about it) second solution could be to give the pilot the option only if AI is gunner.

What do you think?

Maybe it's possible to make the AI gunner close the bay automatically if those weapons aren't needed at the moment and make him open it when missles are selected?

I don't know how to code sqf, so I have no clue how it could be done. :(

If that's too complicated (and I honestly have no idea about it) second solution could be to give the pilot the option only if AI is gunner.

In the original version that modEmMaik made both pilot and gunner could open the weapons bay. However, if you had an AI in your vehicle they would always open the weapon bay back up if tried to close it, regardless of what position you were in within the chopper. If I made it so that AI gunners can't open or close the weapons bay, then AI controlled RAH-66's would be rather useless as they would never use their missiles or rockets. :p

There's already code to make the AI open the weapons bay if it doesn't think it is "safe". Here's the script used:

if (((gunner _myunit) != player) && (!isNull(gunner _myunit))) then
{
	if (behaviour (gunner _myunit) != "SAFE") then
	{
		if (_myunit animationPhase "bay_door_l" > 0.99) then
		{
			[_this select 0, _this select 1] execVM "\modem_dkmm_rah66\scripts\openbay.sqf";
		};
	} else {
		if (_myunit animationPhase "bay_door_l" < 0.01) then
		{
			[_this select 0, _this select 1] execVM "\modem_dkmm_rah66\scripts\closebay.sqf";
		};
	};
};

I have no idea how this might be changed to make more robust AI behavior with the weapons bay, so if anyone wants to give it a go send me your script and I'll try it out. If it works I'll include it in an update (with full credit, of course).

I just realised that I completely ignored your first point. Yes, the sound is the UH-1Y, and I had to specify the sound so that I could change the distance at which you hear the rotor wash. Unfortunately, this makes it impossible for the RAH-66 to simply inherit improved rotor wash sounds from other mods.

Edited by Xeno426

I think he wants Eagle Wing with the RAH-66 instead of the Apache? That's just a wild guess.

You'd have to contact that mod's author and request that he update his mod using my version of the RAH-66.

However, that mod is made for the original ArmA2, so unless he also plans to update his to OA standard there probably isn't much reason for him to do so.

You'd have to contact that mod's author and request that he update his mod using my version of the RAH-66.

However, that mod is made for the original ArmA2, so unless he also plans to update his to OA standard there probably isn't much reason for him to do so.

Eagle Wing is the official campaign that came with A2 1.05 (with the apache).

You'd probably have to dePBO the campaign and change the unit.

After using this great bird in two coop sessions (8 hours+ ;)) we found two things which could need some attention.

1) if a human-player as gunner closes the weapon bay it opens itself automatically after a couple of seconds. Not a big deal though.

2) after figuring out problem nr.1 the gunner wasn't able to select the hellfire anymore, although the bay was open and the hellfires where visually there. After restarting the level and not touching the weapon's bay option all was fine again.

Anyway these are minor problems, I just wanted to mention them... We love this chopper the way it is and are really thankful for this update.

That's one hell of a weird bug, and I honestly have no idea what would cause it. If you close the weapons bay, then open it again on your own, are you still able to select those weapons?

Anyway, try this config file and see if you still have the same problem. I removed the requirement that only the gunner can open the bay.

http://www.mediafire.com/?llolcrc9coj4oto

As an aside, does anyone know where the flare dispensers on the real RAH-66 were to be located?

Nice!

Xeno,

I think you need to add this to the "Close Bay" in the config or you get an error.

position = "zamerny";

Edited by vengeance1

That's one hell of a weird bug, and I honestly have no idea what would cause it. If you close the weapons bay, then open it again on your own, are you still able to select those weapons?

Anyway, try this config file and see if you still have the same problem. I removed the requirement that only the gunner can open the bay.

http://www.mediafire.com/?llolcrc9coj4oto

As an aside, does anyone know where the flare dispensers on the real RAH-66 were to be located?

It may not have ever been fitted with them. They were only flight testing when it was cancelled. I figure if anyone would know a detail like that, it would be Rock of RKSL.