Sign in to follow this  
myshaak

X: Rebirth

Greetings to all X-series fans and not just to them!

A long while ago guys from Egosoft announced another sequel to their impressive strategiy-economy-space shooter hybrid (I'm trying to dodge the term "sim" :rolleyes:). I believe it could interest a lot of Arma community members here, because Egosoft and X-series has a lot in common with BI and Arma series, namely constant support, patches and free goodies (DLC if you wish) to their games, two-way communication between fans and developers, SDK, active community producing lots of mods... and of course a similar sense of megalomania when it comes to freedom in different aspects of gameplay.

Here is a few official screens, click for high-res versions:

x_rebirth_screen_014_th2.jpg x_rebirth_screen_013_th2.jpg x_rebirth_screen_009_th2.jpg x_rebirth_screen_002_th2.jpg

A few days ago Game Reactor did an interview with one of the devs and it is quite full of new information when it comes to changes and improvements of the original X-game concept. To watch it can click on the link below:

Game Reactor TV: X-Rebirth interview

Offical website of the game:

http://www.egosoft.com/games/x_rebirth/info_en.php

Is there anyone else looking forward to this game? Are there any other X-fans? :)

The second screenshot looks like the tradelanes from Freelancer. I dont have the time to watch the video, but did they say something about that? :) (I wanted one of those for since X2!)

Hello all,

Ive owned most of the X games, but never quite got into them.

I loved Elite (although was only dangerous level) and even still play OOlite now and then, but there's something about the X series that alienated me from fiddling with it for just a few hours.

Perhaps the scope was just overwhelming?

I will keep an eye out for this one though.

rgds

LoK

Thanks never knew about this, ive been seeking for something in this area that covers something more extensive, im bookmarking the site and will fish out videos from this point onwards, cheers :)

I have played X3 but didn't really get into the game. The campaign was way to boring. I would like a sequel to Freelancer. Damn you MS

I have played X3 but didn't really get into the game. The campaign was way to boring. I would like a sequel to Freelancer. Damn you MS
I also had troubles getting into X3 and bailed out after just 2 hours...but I loved Independence War II...X3 series alsways lacked a good inertia bases space travel and believable FTL speed...vessel controls always seemed too unresponsive...in fact even the Galaxy class Star Cruiser in Bridge Commander was more agile. Edited by Beagle

Iam looking forward to it. Played the shit out of X 1, X3 and X3 Terran Conflict. Great games. Great complexity, possibilities and graphics. :yay:

Wow i just seen on your link it will be released "fourth quarter of 2011". Nice!

Now I know what I didn´t like about the game: The Fights

They were actually pretty bad compared to for example Freelancer. The only big bonus was that you could control really big ships

Wow i just seen on your link it will be released "fourth quarter of 2011". Nice!

Unfortunately it is not so clear when the game will be released:

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=308085

I personally find it weird. I understand that you don't know when you will release it when we are talking about years, but we are talking about months. They should at least have a clue about what quarter it will be released.

It's not coming out in 2011,Bernd(team) said X:R will be released in 2012.

Now about the games I enjoyed X2,X3 and Terran Conflict.The economy and battles were very interesting apart from capital ship battles which I hope they will improve.Also the space was pretty generic,just a bunch of cubes linked with gates.

From what I read they have huge improvements in X:R regarding the space too.

It will be insta-buy for me,besides BI,Egosoft are my favourite game devs and kinda similar too.They both release complex games and buggy,but they support their products long time after release.

Iam looking forward to it. Played the shit out of X 1, X3 and X3 Terran Conflict. Great games. Great complexity, possibilities and graphics. :yay:

Christmas?

Wicked!

I'm probably gonna skip it. Tried X3 (and Freelancer), but they don't even try to get space flight right. It's fully arcade mode and fancy graphics (okay, the economics was very good), with no emphasis on simulation using newtonian flight (like Elite 2 Frontier). Very limited amount of sandbox exploration, in "systems" that doesn't make sense at all. I want Elite 2 Frontier size exploration, and systems that behave like real systems - not some ridiculous xyz placement without orbital bodies.

Yeah I play a lot of X and I can call myslef a veteran. Started back in 2000 with XBTF, X2 in 2004, X3 in 2007 and 2009 X3TC. Fantastic games, allowing player to built his own space empire and shape the universe. Way better then Freelancer, more complex, better sand box engine and more challenging. A solid PC exclusive game.

Now I mostly concentrate on mods for X3TC. Rebirth sounds really cool,new engine and multi core support at last. The bad thing is we will be bound to one ship for the entire game. I hope the modders from Egosoft forums will quickly find a way to omit that limitation ;)

Edited by Sudayev

Yeah I play a lot of X and I can call myslef a veteran. Started back in 2000 with XBTF, X2 in 2004, X3 in 2007 and 2009 X3TC. Fantastic games, allowing player to built his own space empire and shape the universe. Way better then Freelancer, more complex, better sand box engine and more challenging. A solid PC exclusive game.

Now I mostly concentrate on mods for X3TC. Rebirth sounds really cool,new engine and multi core support at last. The bad thing is we will be bound to one ship for the entire game. I hope the modders from Egosoft forums will quickly find a way to omit that limitation ;)

Wait one ship for the whole game?

OK, thats bad.

(Freelancer had an awesome story and Firefights+the ability to tune your ship)

X were always one of the most beautiful space games ever... But unfortunately they have no soul

There's nothing to explore (even compared to a very simple game like Freelancer which nonetheless had unique sectors with hidden wormholes), every time you start a game you have to spend weeks grinding before you start getting to the fun stuff.

Wait one ship for the whole game?

OK, thats bad.

(Freelancer had an awesome story and Firefights+the ability to tune your ship)

One ship for Rebirth + ability to control different drones. Of course player can use other ships like big capitals but they have to be controlled remotely.

Player ship can be modded by adding different compartments and extensions, so you can change its profile depending on your needs. Also it gives mudularity for other ships too, e.g. you can destroy engines in orger to stop ship or hit its shield generators to make it defenses. Have I mentioned - played will have a chance to walk on board the ship, personally I'm not so happy about this bcause I experienced this feature in weak Silent Hunter V, where walking aboard and giving orders just sucks, not to mention getting stuck on the ladder when going underwater rotfl

Here read the news, Bernd (chief of Egosoft) explained the most vital things in details

http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201109_1_44News.html

Edited by Sudayev

One ship for Rebirth + ability to control different drones. Of course player can use other ships like big capitals but they have to be controlled remotely.

Player ship can be modded by adding different compartments and extensions, so you can change its profile depending on your needs. Also it gives mudularity for other ships too, e.g. you can destroy engines in orger to stop ship or hit its shield generators to make it defenses. Have I mentioned - played will have a chance to walk on board the ship, personally I'm not so happy about this bcause I experienced this feature in weak Silent Hunter V, where walking aboard and giving orders just sucks, not to mention getting stuck on the ladder when going underwater rotfl

Here read the news, Bernd (chief of Egosoft) explained the most vital things in details

http://www.egosoft.com/x/xnews/201109_1_44News.html

Ok that doesn´t sound too bad then but metalcraze nailed one of my biggest problems with the X Games. They really have no soul, compared to lets say Freelancer.

What do you mean no soul? X Lore is very atmospheric and devs did pretty good job in setting all action within the lore. For those interested in lore, it's available free (at least recently released encyclopedia) click.

Matter of taste, Freelancer bored me after 12 hours, I was experiencing the same routines with different backgrounds. Not to mention very simplified flight model. basically, two different games, one is older while other is newer.

Edited by Sudayev