Sign in to follow this  
myshaak

X: Rebirth

Well I think I will ware some time until there are some nice mods for the game.

Away you lil red devil on my shoulder!!!!!! :SpiningDemon:

I'll wait for the reviews, just to be sure.

Edit: based on the feedback on Steam, it's advisable to wait until a few days of patching.

Edited by ziiip

****1st Impressions***

Note to self -never, EVER, never go to the Steam forums on a games launch date. The level of vitriol is astounding.

That said, only maybe an hour into the game and I am very happy with the product so far. Space looks and feels huge, the effects of flyby debris and the hundreds of ships (ok maybe not hundreds) in traffic around neon illuminated advertised space stations with cops with flashing beacons in tow -is amazing.

My main gripe with the X series has always been the cockpit immersion -that being, not just the absence of them but also the immersive engine noise sounds and sense of propulsion when flying. All of these have been incorporated in spades and the new thruster adds great immersion and fun while realizing that it depletes your shields in combat.

My biggest gripe is the inability to freelook in cockpit -that is a huge disappointment. There is nothing like the sense of looking out to your sides while either to observe the scale of the stations to your periphery or watch your enemies trajectory in dogfights. Aso, if there going to deny us other ships in favor of 1 fully modeled cockpit -let us look at it!!

There has been a lot of gripe over performance issues and I'm happy to say I haven't experienced any of them. Running all in full @ 2560 x 1440 with no problems at all.

Excited to enter the sandbox portion of the game but so far -the joy of flying the craft is awesome.

Edit: Also must say the UI is not intuitive at all and yes the space stations interior seem pretty lame so far.

Edited by froggyluv

Damn, I wanted to get some impressions but the forum at egosoft is giving way too many server errors. Worrisome is that it's only getting 5.0 average user score on metacritic. Apparently people are complaining about bad graphics and a "consoleish" gameplay. Glad to see you like it, froggy.

In the meanwhile the game jumped to number 1 top seller.

****1st Impressions***

Note to self -never, EVER, never go to the Steam forums on a games launch date. The level of vitriol is astounding.

That said, only maybe an hour into the game and I am very happy with the product so far. Space looks and feels huge, the effects of flyby debris and the hundreds of ships (ok maybe not hundreds) in traffic around neon illuminated advertised space stations with cops with flashing beacons in tow -is amazing.

My main gripe with the X series has always been the cockpit immersion -that being, not just the absence of them but also the immersive engine noise sounds and sense of propulsion when flying. All of these have been incorporated in spades and the new thruster adds great immersion and fun while realizing that it depletes your shields in combat.

My biggest gripe is the inability to freelook in cockpit -that is a huge disappointment. There is nothing like the sense of looking out to your sides while either to observe the scale of the stations to your periphery or watch your enemies trajectory in dogfights. Aso, if there going to deny us other ships in favor of 1 fully modeled cockpit -let us look at it!!

There has been a lot of gripe over performance issues and I'm happy to say I haven't experienced any of them. Running all in full @ 2560 x 1440 with no problems at all.

Excited to enter the sandbox portion of the game but so far -the joy of flying the craft is awesome.

Edit: Also must say the UI is not intuitive at all and yes the space stations interior seem pretty lame so far.

Yep, the whining kiddy brigade is all over Steam.

Their 7 year old Gateway pre built won't play the game at 4K, 200 FPS etc.

Ok, jokes aside, It's not perfect but it is launch day and sandbox games are always prone to more problems than 'games on rails'.

Egosoft are similar to BIS with respects to supporting their games.

I'm enjoying it so far and I'm sure most of the launch teething problems will be taken care of pretty quickly.

There has already been at least one patch.

Yep, the whining kiddy brigade is all over Steam.

Their 7 year old Gateway pre built won't play the game at 4K, 200 FPS etc.

Ok, jokes aside, It's not perfect but it is launch day and sandbox games are always prone to more problems than 'games on rails'.

Egosoft are similar to BIS with respects to supporting their games.

I'm enjoying it so far and I'm sure most of the launch teething problems will be taken care of pretty quickly.

There has already been at least one patch.

any decent videos out that you would recommend watching? (Don't know if Angry Joe is out yet as he is fairly decent)

Decided to hold off a little, just started The Witcher 2 for the first time so going to commit to that! Installed the official combat mod :)

Choo choo hop in on the train wreck.I really have to ask myself wtf is wrong with devs these days.I'm familiar with X games since X2 so I know about bugs,performance problems and glitches.I know those will be fixed,I'm pissed about game mechanics which will never be changed unless they want to start from 0 again.

This is so dumbed down that I think they wanted to release it on X-crap and forgot they were doing a pc version.

Where to start:

-Copy-pasta stations and npcs devoid of life(I thought A3 c/p turrets were bad,wait to see this),even your co-pilot is brain dead and I'm pretty sure my toaster has a bigger personality than Yisha

-I can't order my freighter to dock somewhere or any ships for that matter,that bugger keeps following me around

-No auto-pilot

-If you thought UI was bad before wait until you see the new one(property management,lack of commands and so on)

-No feedback,had a boarding action no clue if my marines succeeded or not(in TC it let you know boarding failed)

What I liked so far:

-the universe feel livelier now even with the c/p stations and npcs,huge improvement from the square sectors before

-for a dx9 engine it looks fine

-music is really great

With the shooting mechanics coupled with the economy problems and its UI this looks more like an action game with some economics slapped in,I didn't even knew they worked on this for 7 years.You could call it the 'tard brother of the X family.

I'm used to bugs and glitches,but this year devs really competed in "crappy game mechanics" category.Dumbed down Rome 2,CoH2,X:R and so on.If they really want to develop for consoles why the hell they just don't move there.

This pic of great npc models posted by someone sums it up,you actually meet them quite a lot on stations.Egosoft needs to learn the word "diversity" instead of clone attack.

Edited by Krycek

Krycek, I agree with you. I'm pretty sad about how this fails for me so far. Much more enjoying XCOM Enemy Within now.

They made a bad UI worse. They forgot some consumers of PC games play mouse + keyboard. They forgot 0.3 cm fonts are too small. Their UI developers seem to live in a parallel universe, I can't honestly believe it.

They did the additional stuff (3d characters, stations interieur, our ship) really bad, like late 1990s computer games. Either do it good, or don't do it. They shouldn't have done it.

The cockpit: it's too comic like. You cannot move, you cannot free look, you always turn in order to control things, the maps are useless, you have no auto pilot and so on and so forth.

Space and highways are good. But I cannot enjoy it currently.

Very curious about Angry Joes opinion, haha. It will be loud.

Just go here and read people's response or at least topic titles http://forum.egosoft.com/viewforum.php?f=127&sid=e1536ace0602cd5de44b827d263cb653 I took a break after a while because I didn't expect such crushing level of critics!

Looks like this game turned out to be a turd of a spece sim. Egosoft said they worked on this game continuously for seven year - and the result is a hallf assed space game of quality like in those baskets with 1 Euro budget games.

A brief topic what you can and cannot.

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=348186

A brief fan review

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=348260

I'm with the title since year 2000 but I haven't seen such level of thrashing after a release. When TC came out people mostly complained about poor optimalistation (fixed later on) and game turned out to one of the best space sims ever. What they did here is a disaster... Some vets from Egosoft forum say X-R is like aborted console game ported to PC!

I had some hopes for the game, as trailers looks flawless (they always do) and even planned to buy after New Year, but I've seen enough and don't like it not to mention poor quality of almost every aspect of it. Visually it looks good, but too colorful in my liking.

As a veteran I'm pretty disappinted too because I always valued Egosoft (as much as BIS) for their approach and defining the genres with their own titles, but this X-R is a wrong turn and nod to consoles, play and forget casual mode and those things who ruin games.

Simply, imagine Arma2 being OFP Dragon Rising instead of Arma 2.

Fell sorry for those folks who spent 50 euros...

Edited by Sudayev

The "restart" reminds of the Opera browser. They started from scratch with a Chromium fork. A lot of the old functionality is lost. The difference is, the new browser is attractive. X-Rebirth to me is too comic like and not a toy for adults. Yet?

Yeah. Inside stations/own ship/characters: Pretty much System Shock 2 look and feel.

Review of my favourite Twitcher:

I think it need more than just fixing bugs, game need overhaul already

The "restart" reminds of the Opera browser. They started from scratch with a Chromium fork. A lot of the old functionality is lost. The difference is, the new browser is attractive. X-Rebirth to me is too comic like and not a toy for adults. Yet?

not exactly true , it's not 'old chromium' it uses the new 'Blink' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(layout_engine)

also, i managed to get all my old plugins works and in fact i can use the Chromium ones i like now too

Favorites're now supported via 'semi-official' plugin

the email client is either plugin or own separated fork now

no idea what other features you consider missing now

honestly the problem was when they 'moved' to new browser it was buggy, now it's usable and getting fast too

i keep the hope Opera team will regain on the quality of old v12.x

and same goes for the X: Rebirth from Egosoft, i simply wait 3 main patches and then see what's it about

rolling out new major engine changes and redesigns isn't easy :)

well, basically the non bugs are complaints about the controls. Shouldn't be too hard to change. Like Dwarden said, I think I'll wait a couple of patches. I'm doing the same with arma 3. I wouldn't expect a game with so much depth to be perfect at lunch.

well, basically the non bugs are complaints about the controls. Shouldn't be too hard to change. Like Dwarden said, I think I'll wait a couple of patches. I'm doing the same with arma 3. I wouldn't expect a game with so much depth to be perfect at lunch.

It isn't only about the controls.Design choices like 2-3 type of station interiors with grannies,the fact that you can't have your empire now(even a small one) because my freighter is full of idiots and the game doesn't even have a few commands to order these ships to do something.

They chopped so many commands and equipment it's insane.The highway traffic is just smoke and mirrors,they don't exist after you're leaving the lanes,limited places where to build you're stations,removing collision for AI ships because that was their "fix" for it and so many other gameplay stuff that I doubt it will change.

The patches will fix bugs and glitches(that's why I'm not even bothered by those),not design choices.The shitstorm on their forums it's not because of the usual crowd that complains about bugs for every game release,but because Ego managed to chainsaw everything that was great from past games to cater to a broader audience(doubt that audience even cares about their game).

This last line from someone on their forums is a good example of X:R "Trade" part:icon_lol::

"Once upon a time I managed a massive space empire consisting of multiple ships and stations.

Today I collect free floating junk and crawl through air vents looking for pennies."

Edited by Krycek

This last line from someone on their forums is a good example of X:R "Trade" part:icon_lol::

"Once upon a time I managed a massive space empire consisting of multiple ships and stations.

Today I collect free floating junk and crawl through air vents looking for pennies."

Haha that was me! Funny to find yourself quoted like that.

Anyway, yeah the game is bad. Real bad.

The difference to Opera is, the new browser is attractive to me. What I'm missing is better possibilities to organize Bookmarks and Quick access bar. But X got slaughtered and crippled so much and the rest is buried in UI hell, it's not useful and funny at all.

Forget it Dwarden, too many radical and wrong changes cannot be undone.

This guy is right about XRB:

Yeah. Probably 7 years of work and a new Rebirth. I must say my heart is bleeding, really.

There's a Bernd statement (in German) already, but hey. Will fix bugs, some minor changes here and there. http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=349205

Edited by tortuosit

After watching some twitch live stream and youtube video, I decide to buy the game anyway, there are bugs(game crashing ones), but after the ARMA1 and 2 train wreck release I am more or less bulletproofed on this kind of things(ARMA 3 release is good enough in my book BTW), in fact the only few thing that sadden me is that you can only fly the Shunk all the time, which sucks, and I really wish there is some type of tactical elements IF we ever get to fly a capital class.

I generally ignored at less half of the comments on official/steam forum though, seems to me that most people simply need to vent off steam because the game keep crashing(SPAM F5 Oftenly).

Dan;2558994']So what would you guys recommend for some long term gaming? X3 or XR?

X3 of course. The best sandbox space sim around. You could start from X3 Terran Conflict, it's has a lot of plots to follow. Beginning can be a little harsh, but trust me the game is rewarding.