Sign in to follow this  
PrivateWolf

Can someone tell me why I should buy Arma 2:CO instead of BF3?

I'm having doubts that BF3 will suck and BFBC2 will be more better from my beta experience. So I'm planning to buy Arma 2: CO instead! because I loved it in Arma 2: Free what else in Arma 2: CO where I get twice the content than the F2P version! :) can someone tell me WHY arma 2:CO is clearly worth more buying than BF3?

thanks guys!

no flaming on Arma 2 vs. Battlefield though I dont have my anti-fire suit :D

discuss :)

It isn't "more worth buying" unless you feel it is. ArmA 2 is ArmA 2 and BF3 is BF3. Not comparable at all. Either you like or you don't. According to that: get it or not.

Well I've been fun of BF2 ages ago and was looking forward to at least try BF3, even though i had my (big) doubts about BF3 being as succesfull and fun as BF2 was back than.After watching the gameplay videos though, it became clear that its just another BFBC2 with different name and some improvements and too many colors all over the screen etc..so no, not for me.

What I like in arma however, are endless mission possibilities, huge and i mean huge maps for different battle tactics with tanks or without them, air support assets and ten's if not hundred's weapons to choose from.

I suggest to look up some videos and see for yourself ;)

Your call :)

You made the effort to register and start your own thread, why leave now:p

If BF3 was a milsim, it aint choice is easy.

They are two completely different games. I don't understand how this question can be asked when they are on the opposite sides of a spectrum (one is a deathmatch arcade shooter with maps balanced for that, the other one is a sandbox with authentic environments and realism).

However if you like ArmA2 Free then by all means buy ArmA2 CO.

It's not just "twice the content" - it's also mods (which include features, maps, missions and more). OA engine also offers more features and better optimization (well at least I get better FPS with AA2 OA 1.59 than with AA2 1.10)

They are two completely different games. I don't understand how this question can be asked when they are on the opposite sides of a spectrum

They both are computer games and they both are meant to bring us entertainment. Since free time is generally a limited ressource people very well might have chose which one to select. :)

I would put it the following way: if you like the idea of having a new digital hobby, go for ArmA2. If just want to relax, get a quick flash and soon thinking of buying the next game then go for BF3.

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

If you want multiplayer where you can just hop in a random server, blast through a few rounds of nice, straightforward modes, get BF3.

If you want to play a more serious simulation, where you can play through a huge supply of existing missions (stock and community made) or create anything you like on maps measured in km as apposed to metres, get Arma. Arma does have good MP, but it's much more group oriented. You are unlikely to be happy if all you want out of it is competitive pub MP.

Two totally different games. Kind of like asking if you should get DCS A-10 or Tom Clancy's Hawx.

As above if you want quick PvP action then get RO2 :) BF3......

But if you want something superior in every other aspect get ArmA.

There you go 30 odd reasons, these are some of the islands/maps I have, there are many others I have downloaded more recently that I have not added to the list, all made available via the very talented mod community, plus a whole world of possible missions via the Editor, all this is without the huge amount of addons/mods for armies, vehicles, aircraft, weapons, hardware, etc, etc ,etc…..

Don’t forget these do not include the outstanding islands/maps that come with the games themselves...

LINGOR

PLR MANA

PANTHERA

JAPAHTO

TROPICA

CAPRAIA

LOLANAIA

ISLA DUALA

AFGHANVALLEY

ETAHPLATEAU

FRAN QUESH KIBRUL

FRAN SBRODJ

KULIMA

CELLE

MBG NAM

KELLU

SIX SHL

SIX WTK

SIX AIAKTLIK

THIRSK

TORABORA

BET HUERTGEN

BRIK2

CHIMALPOPOCA

CICADA

FAFFINDALE

NAMALSK

NICOSIA

OVERON

PMC 51KM DESERT

PMC RATTLER

PMC RUGEN

PMC SOMALIA

SANGIN

VOSTOK

VOSTOK WINTER

FALLUJAH

Etc..

Etc……….

The ArmA games have a lot more replay value because of them modability of the engine. You can also easily mod it yourself, if you choose to. There is a built in mission editor and the stream of user missions is endless, and you can also modify the game content.

The game is a simulator game and therefore does not really have the same sort of twitch shooter feel. The game is much more long legged but it also demands more of a long term commitment to it. It has quite a long learning curve and to be really good at it takes a while. Also, missions usually take quite a while to complete.

Simple really:

Do you like casual gaming where you can run a mock and get lots of kills on a few maps for a while for some fun times with a campaign to repeat?

Do you like to Invest time into something that will last into years that you have to learn over time and treat more or less like your being shot at in the real world (tactics and approach). Thats like lego which can be changed how you wish and very deep under the surface of what you can do - learn and invest time into like playing, learning and tinkering long term like a car, which you can expand into making your own little missions as you see fit with loads of community info to get something great in a short space of time and then more besides, with the campaign as nearly a side issue to what can be done with it?

One is a game to repeat with, the other is like playing soldiers with a box full of goodies/tools & large extensive real time terrains to do with as you wish with the only limit of your machine dropping to 0 fps due to overloading so many AI you cannot even begin to comprehend how much can go on in one time.

Take your pick ;)

If you like both, get both, as they are different things entirely apart from they are based on war. One will fizzle out over time of extensive repeating, the other will always be around when that fizzle occurs :)

Edited by mrcash2009

Thanks guys, now im sure I'll buy Arma 2: Combined Ops :) but I dont have time to read ALL your replies ill read it later after school

Thanks guys, now im sure I'll buy Arma 2: Combined Ops :) but I dont have time to read ALL your replies ill read it later after school

the important message here is: dont assume you first impression will also be your final judgement. While ArmA2 will ripe in your hands with the time like wine BF3 will deteriorate like Orange Juice in the sun. Of course this is slightly exaggerated. I just liked the imagery. :rolleyes:

Edited by Albert Schweitzer

Not to mention one of armas biggest downfalls is now fixed (as of beta and soon 1.60)- that being the warping in multiplayer

I dont think you can go wrong with Arma2CO, I mean new content fixes, updates, mods, missions,

tweaks, islands, scripts, and many other things come out everyday! see here:

http://www.armaholic.com/index.php

Whereas BF3 you might get something froma couple of modders, maybe a new map if possible, and then wait who knows

how long for new content and maps from the maker of the game, which if Im not mistaken you have to pay for

from what i hear anyways whether its true or not IDK.

Arma2CO not only has multiple editors sp/mp, and many other editors to create stuff for the game if you like, theres

tons of addons and mods, and scripts, and many other things that TBH BF3 let alone BF2 can compare too, sorry

im comparing here, they are definitely not the same games.

BF3 might have cool graphics and maybe some interesting animation features, but the problem is what you play

at least mission wise is linear, i mean Im sure you can run around in a certain area, based on the story.

Then you have mp which the game is know for or really about.

The thing is you really cant add to the game, what if you wanted to play with a certain fighter jet,

np we have tons in Arma2CO:

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_oa_files_addons_vehicles_planes

as well as in Arma2

http://www.armaholic.com/list.php?c=arma2_files_addons_vehicles_planes

which by the way can be used in Arma2 CO.

The options are limitless.

Also considering that BIS developer of Arma series that being OFP, and Arma games are always fixing

and updating the game. Plus the community is huge, and always plenty of help on the forums here about whatever of the game.

or get both games.

Arma doesn't come with Origin!

Instead of that you can expect honest and dedicated devs that keep updating their products long after release. You can even chat with them on the forums.

Hi all im new to the fourm. I've been Tinkering around with Arma 2 for a while, Havn't gotten good at it by any means, there's lots to learn so im A big newb.

Anyways Im a big BF2 fan played it for years, bf3 is looking like a COD run and gun mess. Arma and BF2 have little in common, exept team play. There's much more involved in squad movement and command in ARMA, but I'm going to commit myself to stay with it and really learn this game.

Im reading the developer is looking to streamline the command system, if that happen you might see a big influx of old school BF2 players.. there is alot of anger over there reguarding the new game..

Anyways thought I'd say Hi..

I gotta do boot camp again, I did the whole thing leaned to fly ( the jets and chopper are similar to BF2's) and commanded a couple SP mission was months ago I'll have to relearn it all.

Cheers all

Aww.. all you guys and your epic replies <3 Im now sure ill buy Arma 2: CO over BF3.. but what im not skipping is BFBC3! im a big fan of BFBC2 :) but I love arma 2 still :D and oh yeah I cant get "both" games im not a rich gamer-type so can I ask another question? Is there MANY good servers in Arma 2: CO or is it like in Arma 2: Free where I only like 2 servers 1, is a good coop mission that lasts for 12 hours where i only finish 2-4 hours of.. and 2. A T.A.L.O.N RPG server? anyone?

Arma is definatly the way to go if you want realistic modern warfare (and also WW2 and many other settings thanks to mods). Sure, it's harder to get into and it has it's flaws, but once you get into it there's really no other competitor for this kind of gameplay. And if you get into using the editor.. boy, there's a lot of stuff to do. I pretty much only make my own custom missions and campaigns etc. And I've still played this game now and then since it was released, (also played ofp and arma etc.).

Be honest.

While there are indeed more servers their player quality is certainly lacking mostly and 90% of them are running the same Domi 24/7 (speaking about public servers here).

However if you are willing to join some (semi-)open communities/clans then you can indeed find very good teamwork and have a real great time.

But this usually will not work if you hope to play Multiplayer on public servers only and in this case you WILL be disappointed.

Be honest.

While there are indeed more servers their player quality is certainly lacking mostly and 90% of them are running the same Domi 24/7 (speaking about public servers here).

However if you are willing to join some (semi-)open communities/clans then you can indeed find very good teamwork and have a real great time.

But this usually will not work if you hope to play Multiplayer on public servers only and in this case you WILL be disappointed.

^this

Join a community/clan that suits your style of playing. Then you will soon discover that MP was never so EPIC

While ArmA2 will ripe in your hands with the time like wine BF3 will deteriorate like Orange Juice in the sun.

Well said, like it :)

Be honest.

I enjoyed Domi (not 24/7 though :p) a lot and its good place to start with, when you are new to the game.Furthemore it doesn't end up with domi, not at all but I feel its very good invite to arma kind of mission, plus the fact that newish players are willing to share the walkarounds of the game. just get on VOIP and join your first squad ;)

If I feel however obligated to acknowledge the OP, that arma is not easy game, not like CoD, BF6 or anything along those and require some more general effort than other named games.

Overall I believe the more you know about arma and its walkabouts, the more you will enjoy it.

EDIT - @Tonic I disagree as thats not entirely truth.Just becouse some or most dislike project reality as MP mod doesnt mean its not worthy to try, as this is what i currently play and enjoy the most.

Edited by Bee8190