Sign in to follow this  
zoog

Helicopter controls / training topic

Maybe we can use this topic for questions regarding flying/controlling the helicopter in the game.

Is it correct that you are not allowed to use the anti-torque pedals to assist turns with the helicopter? I always wondered how this is done in real life.

The training says you shouldn't use the pedals to assist. So the right procedure would be banking the helicopter to left/right and only using the anti-torque pedals to counter the effect of the main rotor (when not hovering of course)? And just wait until the turn is finished (which is somewhat slower without using the pedals to assist)?

is the X52 Pro supported on the game?

Yes, I play with the X52 Pro.

All external controls like pedals, some of panels, joystics, HOTAS ect. works fine. You can set up everything.

Maybe we can use this topic for questions regarding flying/controlling the helicopter in the game.

Is it correct that you are not allowed to use the anti-torque pedals to assist turns with the helicopter? I always wondered how this is done in real life.

The training says you shouldn't use the pedals to assist. So the right procedure would be banking the helicopter to left/right and only using the anti-torque pedals to counter the effect of the main rotor (when not hovering of course)? And just wait until the turn is finished (which is somewhat slower without using the pedals to assist)?

I haven't tried the beta yet as it was released 1am last night AEST, but I'll take my chances answering your question.

Use of Pedals:

If initiating a normal rate and level turn when already in balance, you should not need to adjust with pedals. One of the most frequently used instrument used in a helicopter is the balance ball, which in the MD500 I believe is found below the ADI. I've yet to see if BI have made the balance ball to work.

Balance, hence pedals, is used in cruise mainly for maximizing vertical thrust and seating comfort.

There is no rule saying you shouldn't use pedals whenever you see it fit during normal flight.

some one have some settings for me in the game and in the controller menue for my X52? .. :)

i use x52 pro aswell, working fine so far. Whiskey Tango i gave up using my joystick in arma because of numerous mapping issues including the throttle problem but am pleased to report that the throttle works perfectly normally in this game.

P.S anyone with an x52 i recomend removing the throttle detents (lumpy bit at idle and afterburner) easy job and you can undo the mod if you wanna sell yer stick or have warranty issues.

Throttle or collective? Throttle only keys here or HOTAS buttons but the collective lever works fine.

I use an XBox360 controller for flying - it's convenient because it has a lot of axes, and the wife doesn't like to see the huge HOTAS cluttering the desk for weeks on end. :-)

It's really nice that the controller is auto-detected and that the button labels are added to the menus. But the default control scheme doesn't make sense. Why isn't the collective on the analog stick? I've set it up like this: Left stick - analog collective. Right stick - cyclic. Shoulder triggers - pedals.

Also, it should be possible to customize the response curves without deleting the default scheme...