Sign in to follow this  
enad

Projected Pre-Orders/Sales.

Since ArmA 3 is going to be a bit more 'Mainstreamed' or 'Streamlined' so it's not treated as roughly by reviewers and new comers, how do you guys think this will affect sales? I don't see many hardcore fans like myself being too turned off by this. I know I'm not.

Do you think it'll get over 1 Million sales? What about 1 Million Preorders?

I'm thinking will the attention ArmA 3 has been getting at E3 and Gamescon sales will shoot up signifigantly, I wouldn't even be surprised to see extremely high pre order numbers, 500k to 1 Million wouldn't surprise me honestly.

Hopefully BIS works real hard on ArmA 3 and really makes it worth it and makes those pre orders mean something!

Anyways, a question for everyone. What do you think the sales will be after say..6 months of ArmA 3 being out?

Much the same as A2, I wager. The community will gain a couple new mbrs, lose a bit less, but mostly its popularity will be as a niche-filler. Steady, satisfying growth.

But what a glorious niche it is... :D

I don't funk it will make a million or 500 thousand, more like 200-300 k like ArmA 2, or even a little less.

The game has not received as much attention as you

might think.

Edit: Nowadays you might hear numbers of 20 millions sales like GTA 4 or Modern Warfare, but at the end we are talking about a PC only game where 1 million is a lot.

And you always have to keep in mind, that sales

stay in relation to development cost, Homefront sold more than OFP but the studio was closed down.

Edited by DaMan3

Exactly what CameronMcDonald just said. I'm sure some people have silly ideas to "mainstream" it. but any attempts will only damage ArmA and most current fans will not be happy.

ArmA's core is a niche MilSim. It's unique "hook" is that it is a mature gamer's game. Doesn't mean you have to be 75 years old to play it, but you are required to have patience and some tactical knowledge. so it's never going to be a blockbuster. it's like one of those movies which everyone KNOWS is great, but few can appreciate fully and so it flunks at the box-office, or only gets limited release at independent cinemas.

you will never please most reviewers today unless your game is an instant gratification ego-shooter, a selfish experience, playing as one soldier in a battle that will come to life around you. wait a minute, that sounds familiar.....oh nooooooooees! Don't do it Ivan! :eek:

Edited by ghost101

well i am getting 4-6 copies wish there was multi packs sometimes dont really need 4-6 copies of disks like I have for OFP/ARMA1/ARMA2 and EXPANSIONS

you know 1 Multipack contain 1 set of discs 2 licenses or something...

There's going to be a lot of new shit and god-like FLIR optics and homing missiles which is probably gonna turn a lot of people off and some people will love it.

Well... they did get more attention due to their participation at E3 and GC and by adding things like costumatization will get some of the " Mil-sim?!I don't know... it missed something" crowd attention as well.

Overall... I think it will sell better then ArmA 2. Also remmber that Carrier Command and ToH will be already on the market bringing in income.

Do you think it'll get over 1 Million sales? What about 1 Million Preorders?

dr_evil_one_million_dollars.jpg

No, that would be impossible. :D

Edited by Pulverizer

Uh, where is your premise coming from exactly?

Please, would people not be so stupid as to conflate the SP campaign (which has been and continues to be the reference point for marketing) with the rest of the game's content and scope?

Arma 2's marketing and trailers were all about Razor Team and the branching story-driven campaign with RPG elements. But the basic ArmA formula was unchanged. No introduction of RPG elements more broadly, and no emphasis on small-scale special ops. It's just the campaign.

The only 'streamlining' they are doing is making the SP campaign worth a damn, allowing the game to compete on a basic level in the mainstream market. Having a few polished missions that actually teach you the game doesn't somehow put training wheels on the uber hardcore scenario you will be playing with your squad.

FFS.

I pretty much concur with Mat.

If they make a decent SP instead of a bug ridden non functional one at launch, then the game will get good reviews.

If they also add a fantastic MP game. The same.

If instead they build a feature rich sandbox where SP and MP are simply used as tutorial levels to show you what the game engine can do and show off their latest features...

It will sell the same amount as last time.

This is an IP that has previously topped all the best sellers.

It doesn't have to be a "niche" product.

Easier said than done I expect.

This game is clearly going to be able to cater for the hardcore niche market, but it has been so much more than that in the past. The potential is there.