Sign in to follow this  
Hobostryke

ArmA 3 System Requirements

Could someone help me understand what additional VRAM does to improve Arma's performance?

Given that basic setup, will 4GB of VRAM offer significantly increased performance over 2GB of VRAM at 1920x1080p?

Seems like GTX 670 is much better buy atm than GTX 680 as its 100$ cheaper and some 12% slower overall, plus its apparently in stock. 2Gb Vram should propably be more than fine for 1920*1080 as AFAIK, AA and FXAA is whats driving the Vram usage up.

What you shell see is smoother gameplay though.

4Gb Vram would make more sense if you were gaming on 3 way monitors and above

Regarding the system requirements, are these minimum requirements or optimal requirements?

Regarding the system requirements, are these minimum requirements or optimal requirements?

They're the minimum requirements, and they're not even finalised yet.

From my point of view these Arma3 game requirements :

OS - Windows 7 / Vista

CPU - Intel Core i5 or AMD Athlon Phenom X4 or faster

GPU - Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 or ATI Radeon HD 5770, shader Model 3 and 896 MB VRAM, or faster

RAM - 2 GB

HDD - 15 GB free space

DVD - Dual Layer compatible

DirectX® - 10/11

being the recommended configuration for Arma2 : Operation Arrowhead printed on the box , so I believe that it's more a target than anything else, the objective being to build a game playable with the same requirements as A2:OA, without too high a jump in requirements. So atm, we don't know the minimum requirement and I have read somewhere :

we're due to publish our newly revised minimum specifications along with our E3 materials

I have also read in the Q&A published on PC Gamer

PCG: Does Bohemia believe that Arma 3 will be one of the PC’s most-demanding games when it releases? Are you worried about that?

Daniel Musil, A3 Project Lead: We consider the Real Virtuality engine to be more like a platform than a game. Our community has used it for a much longer period than is perhaps usual for the most modern games. It’s why we’re scaling the rendering quality and the whole engine to fit both current machines and also high-end desktops in the near feature. At higher settings, there is usually more to compute and render—longer view distance, better quality further in the scene, denser and more extensive particles, multiple shader-based effects, and so on. Generally, we would like to allow users to always set the best quality regardless of hardware performance, which we achieve with our powerful range of video options.

There will be probably a wide range of playable options starting at the limit to get a "playable" game to the area of "enjoyable" game...

I have always experienced this with BI Games, Arma was "playable" with the rig I had built for OFP based upon an AMD Athlon XP 2000, but "enjoyable" with its successor based upon a Core2Duo; Arma2 was "playable" on this one but quite "enjoyable" with the i7 875K/ATI 6970 rig I am playing now.

I will nevertheless add that I think that a DX11 videocard will be a must have for A3, the new light management system being totally maximized by DX11 use ... in order to get it "enjoyable" :cool:

How well do you reckon that little machine will cope with the A3 engine? I'm not in a position where I can commit to a desktop atm but willing to splash a bit on a portable solution to get back into A2 and start with for A3

Horize W110ER - http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html

I really hope it will be possible to lower the quality of the water; shadows, lightning etc. This should give a boost since water takes up a huge part of the whole environment.

How well do you reckon that little machine will cope with the A3 engine? I'm not in a position where I can commit to a desktop atm but willing to splash a bit on a portable solution to get back into A2 and start with for A3

Horize W110ER - http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/523-horize-w110er-notebook-pc-gaming-ultra-portable-clevo.html

I just picked one up with an I7, 8GB and 256GB SSD. Just got done playing ARMA2 on my couch with a trackball....

Domination

Very High

5k view distance, full grass

1366x768

Battery

It was awesome. I didn't have fraps running but it was completely playable and smooth. I have been impressed with this little beast. Only down side is kind of crap battery life and it gets hot. But for a 11.6" laptop that can crank ARMA2 - I am not complaining.

Ok I just wanted to ask if it's possible somehow to upgrade my system to run Arma 3 in the future or even the Alpha that's about to come out.

My current rig is:

Asus P5K, Socket-775

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @ 3.16GHz (2 CPUs)

OCZ 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz ( x 2 = 4096MB )

XFX ATI Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition 1gb GDDR5

I was thinking about upgrading to a quad core and I see arma 3 needs an I5, but that is not suitable for my motherboard so I was thinking if any other quad core that has Socket-775 will be able to run arma 3. I don't have to run it on ultra graphics just very high textures etc and be able to tweak it accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Now, we have a hint for the minimum specifications for Arma3

Minimum Specifications:

CPU: Intel Dual-Core 2.4 GHz or AMD Dual-Core Athlon 2.5 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 3000 with Shader Model 4 and 512 MB VRAM

RAM: 2 GB

HDD: 15 GB free space

DirectX®: 10

source :

@Ravoc : there are not much ways to upgrade your rig, getting a better CPU from the "old" quad core family is too expensive with a poor result, so the only way is to build a new PC meaning a new CPU, a new motherboard and new DDR3 Ram. So I will suggest you to play the "Community Alpha" with your PC as it is before having an argument with your bank.

Edited by Old Bear

Now, we have a hint for the minimum specifications for Arma3

source :

@Ravoc : there are not much ways to upgrade your rig, getting a better CPU from the "old" quad core family is too expensive with a poor result, so the only way is to build a new PC meaning a new CPU, a new motherboard and new DDR3 Ram. So I will suggest you to play the "Community Alpha" with your PC as it is before having an argument with your bank.

Thanks for the reply, ok I will try that cause I was really lost when some pages said you needed a quad core to run it but some sites said it was a dual core. I will try it on this rig and see what happens then.

Just curious as to what the PC specs were used in the

as i noticed frame drops, screen tearing and the object draw radius was quite small. Is this something that will be improved upon by release? Im a bit concerned about the performance after seeing some of these issues.

Just curious as to what the PC specs were used in the
as i noticed frame drops, screen tearing and the object draw radius was quite small. Is this something that will be improved upon by release? Im a bit concerned about the performance after seeing some of these issues.

Yeah, ArmA3 ran like shit in the video.

Don't worry guys, u don't stand a chance of running this game smoothly on release.

I'm guessing a mod will close this thread soon. You should post this question here.

Also the minimum system requirements have been significantly downgraded since last year so I'd say a lot of optimization has been done since then. Read here (min sys req at the end of the interview).

I've read the min specs and they are awfully low it must look heinous with that kinda hardware to run smooth, i want to know what kinda system was used to run that sneak preview and what settings were used so i can get a rough idea how my PC will handle arma3.

Maybe the recording software had an impact on the FPS, FRAPS has a significant impact on my FPS when the I use higher graphics settings.

Possible, arent there recording cards you can get that have no impact on fps? I dont see why you wouldnt use one of those showing previews of your new game.

Well I just looked at the Arma 2 and OA and the system specs are no different from Arma 3 so probably most people wont have problem running it in the first place.

Yeah, it seems that its the same specs. However I doubt ill be able to play it. I get about 30fps with everything on the lowest setting, including view distance (500) with 800x600res. Time for a new video card and proccesor.

Yeah, I'm using around $600 dollars for this game. Recently purchased a Nvidia Geforce 560 Ti and Im looking at an i5 2500k Quad core 3.3 ghz. Could this, with my GPU, run Arma 3 at high or very high? (45 fps or more).

And keep in mind that the true optimization usually takes place after the feature freeze, reading a big time ahead from now. Tough the new min system requirements were really a positive surprise :)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT or ATI Radeon HD 3830 or Intel HD Graphics 3000 with Shader Model 4 and 512 MB VRAM

BIS please correct GPU part of minimum system requirements because HD 3830 only have 256MB VRAM :o

Radeon HD 3690/3830

The Radeon HD 3690, which was limited only to the Chinese market where it was named HD 3830, has the same core as the Radeon 3800 series but with only a 128-bit memory controller and 256 MiB of GDDR3 memory. All other hardware specifications are retained.

A further announcement was made that there would be a Radeon HD 3830 variant bearing the same features as Radeon HD 3690, but with a unique device ID that does not allow add-in card partners in China to re-enable the burnt-out portion of the GPU core for more memory bandwidth.

The Radeon HD 3690 was released early February 2008 for the Chinese market only.

Edited by Horus

hehe if you got the rig that's showcased in your signature, you shouldn't worry about that ^^