Sign in to follow this  
VampyricTyrant

Floating Zone toggle

Floating zone is a useful tool.

When walking it's totally useless as it doesn't let you move the way you want. But when you are stationary it can come handy sometimes.

I think, don't know how they missed it in ArmA2 and its a expansions, a toggle would be useful, just like the look key (default alt).

dunno if it'd work out right, but they could combine the toggle with the freelook toggle, but only while looking down the sight?

ArmA II has floating zone...

Edit: Ahhh my mistake, you want it as a toggle.

Sorry.

Edited by vuckotadic
mistake

dunno if it'd work out right, but they could combine the toggle with the freelook toggle, but only while looking down the sight?

not while looking down the sight. while in normal view hold a key and move the gun around so you can shoot when having obstacles etc

floating zone should simply be disabled when moving. there is no need for it when moving. plus it makes moving just a little bit smoother

there is sort of a toggle for it wile in iron sights already. hold down alt and you will see the sights get locked to the center of the screen, and your arc of fire is limited to the movement of your characters torso. in some cases it makes shooting a little easier.

floating zone should simply be disabled when moving. there is no need for it when moving. plus it makes moving just a little bit smoother

there is sort of a toggle for it wile in iron sights already. hold down alt and you will see the sights get locked to the center of the screen, and your arc of fire is limited to the movement of your characters torso. in some cases it makes shooting a little easier.

Perfect for sectors of fire.

Toggle would be nice. When you join a server which has crosshairs set off, it really makes it hard to judge where you are shooting (close quarters when no time to aim, or aiming can make it harder). And, just feels nice in general. Hitting a guy at 15 meter with floating on can be hard, without it's center screen always to very easy, which is useful for closer encounters.

Funny I was just thinking exactly the same 5 minutes ago when trying it again.. I never use it just because of the movement and it together, should only be free aim when not moving..=)

Toggle to have it off or to have it on? I like the floating zone, no I love it I guess. Never played without it and so having to toggle it on would be a bad thing for me.

Maybe in the options make both ways optional, prefer it on always? check toggle off and prefer it off while walking and such, check toggle on for the other moments. *Isn't that just freelook sort of?

When you join a server which has crosshairs set off, it really makes it hard to judge where you are shooting (close quarters when no time to aim, or aiming can make it harder).

That's what your gun has sights for.

Play without crosshairs long enough and you'll get a feel for "from the hip" shooting anyway but really use sights for every shot.

If you want to look around without moving your gun simply hold LAlt and look around or get TrackIR.

Play without crosshairs long enough and you'll get a feel for "from the hip" shooting anyway but really use sights for every shot.

Like I said, using crosshairs can make things harder at close range as opposed to switching off floating zone for a second and approximating the centre of the screen for your point of aim. The purpose of toggle would give you a gain of perspective for such close range encounters etc to that we have in real life (Proprioception + General 3D perspective).

One of the things I didn't mention before is that it's easier to align scoped weapons before you go into optics without floating zone.

If you want to look around without moving your gun simply hold LAlt and look around or get TrackIR.

:j: I know how to look around. What I was talking about was aiming my weapon without moving my body.

:j: I know how to look around. What I was talking about was aiming my weapon without moving my body.

Ignore him, the only thing he is interested in is shooting bots, he just spams every topic until the others get bored with it.

One basic rule, don't feed the troll.

Now back to the subject

I just never use floating zone it makes it easy to shoot from hip when you are still but it makes you very slow when turning etc. So no matter how useful it might be it gets trashed this way.

Its imo better if floating zone stays optional no need to trash features because of someone's disliking. :rolleyes:

He doesn't suggest to remove it being optional, does he?

He simply suggested a way to improve the floating zone for infantry, no?

He doesn't suggest to remove it being optional, does he?

He simply suggested a way to improve the floating zone for infantry, no?

exactly, people don't even bother to read the fist post, they just read the title and spam.

Toggle to have it off or to have it on

it would be easier just the on option, just like the look key.

Edited by VampyricTyrant

I just never use floating zone it makes it easy to shoot from hip when you are still but it makes you very slow when turning etc. So no matter how useful it might be it gets trashed this way.

Sorry, just thought you changed your view about it.

toggle floating on(in optics)to 100% is possible (even in Arma 1)

1 go into optic

2 hold ALT key(2x alt = Toggle)

result:

floating on in optics

for the soldiers who want only the "no body movement thing"

but i use floating and i like the no floating at movment thing

maybe make it an additional option:

- off if slower/equal as sprinting/jogging/walking/slow movments

please add a server comand that forces floating

this is an idea to force players not to "cheat" in PVP, atm its a thing of trusting the other players (players with higher Floating get a message "floating is set on this server to X% want you set it to the same setting?" "Yes" "No")

Edited by SaltatorMortis
no reason

Hi, the floating zone is a great thing that simulates well the hip rotation to fire, while walking or to guard corners or entire fire sectors; but it needs to be improved. You can't Hold Breath while you've the floating zone On, so your aim at LRs is worst with the 2Nd shots than how it should, as if you Hold Breath it turns Off the sights, and that should change on the ArmA3 to allow you to hold your breath while you're aiming down the sights as you would IRL. Let's C ya

I agree, toggle floating zone must been in A3! Maby CTRL+ALT use to key modyfier!

It's very useful feature!

its a thing between realism and gameplay..

in reallive you never shoot from the hip

in dangerus area you look always close over the optics

and from hip firering (i tryed it on a firing range ) is nearly impossible

cause that you shot only from hip until you have the eyes on the optic (bring fire on the enemy)

cause that i dont like the toggling idea

Would prefer if floating zone had a minimum setting of 5%, so that without crosshairs there is still no cheating by marking the screen. I use this myself, but I can't have a high floating zone as it makes the game unplayable. The 5% isn't intrusive at all.

in dangerus area you look always close over the optics

and from hip firering (i tryed it on a firing range ) is nearly impossible

When people say "from the hip" (note the quotes) it means "close over the optics", as in Arma there is no shooting from the hip - the gun is either lowered to a safe position or raised without using optics.

Ignore him, the only thing he is interested in is shooting bots, he just spams every topic until the others get bored with it.

One basic rule, don't feed the troll.

Lolwut? You better explain that one :D

I always play with 100% floating zone, one of the beauties with this game-series imho. I do however see a benefit with a "floating zone button". When I go CQB it would be nice to be more 'rigid' and "stiffen the upper body" for better and faster accuracy.

Maybe we could have 2 floating zone settings? One as we have today and the other one for when we push that button. That way players could get it any way they liked. Then I would have full floating zone as normal and very little as optional. It could also be possible to have no floating zone as normal and through that button enable floating zone.

Does it make sense? I hope..

One thing I want to see is that floating zone gets turned to 0 automatically when you lower your weapon. When you do that, the game still acts like you have an invisible rifle on your screen and so you have to turn your mouse around extra just to look right or left. It's a minor annoyance, but still.

I really looking forward to this, BIS seems to be listening to us and ArmA3 looks to be a very promising game!

I personally think what we have right now is enough. We can move our heads independent of our bodies, and when aiming down the sights you can move your weapon without moving your whole body. I really don't see a need to move my weapon around a corner without being zoomed in. To me it sounds like you're just going to blind fire (try to fire without using optics). Which I prefer to be as accurate as possible. Especially since I manage to go through a lot of rounds when watching them, and using single shots.