Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Revolution Persistent World

Developed over the last two years, the Revolution system is a persistent world game mode, linked to a MySQL database and website. Recognizes players and logs them in each time. It is using JayArmA2Lib and named pipes together with a custom developed Console app.

Due to the complexity of the system, this is not and cannot be released as a standalone mod. If anyone is interested in running this, send me a PM but you will need a dedicated Windows Server box capable of running ArmA2, MySQL, and a webapp.

This allows many things including:

The mission framework itself, taking inspiration from Norrin's work and the ACE mod includes:

• Fully developed Medical System, with Morphine, Epi, Bandages, and particle effects for bleeding
  • AI controlled "Air Boss"
  • Dialog controls for debarkation
  • Side Missions: Capture, Destroy, Kill - fully randomized with professional briefings
  • Custom damage effects and sounds
  • Back Blast Damage Area simulation for rocket launchers, tanks, bombs, etc...
  • Realtime editor for enemy
  • Base Building
  • Logistics Supply delivery required for base building
  • Aerial dropping of Supplies for base building, or unloading after landing

Credits are extensive but the major credit goes to JayArmA2Lib which made the system much more performance friendly. Norrin for his First Aid system which grew into this.

Demonstration Videos

kLDvVN7--R8

iQNeWTEdu84

eCeWgqE2oDc

XkvJmjYRvO4

More demonstration videos to follow...

Edited by Rocket

Default sounds. Only additional sounds are those provided with the USEC Revolution mods, which are minimal and only focused on damage. The reason it sounds better is because of the intensity of the fire-fights provided by the randomized missions generated.

Another quality product from the USEC factory! I very much like the sound of this :).

Its the sum of three years hard development. Some components of it will be released as addons rather than as the packaged multiplayer mode, where possible. I have 100gb of Fraps footage at present, its a huge mode to outline so I'm hoping to pick out the best bits to highlight it.

A side result of this whole system, was a little offside project that will be announced here through some youtube videos. The development of that has been in secret since ArmA, and it is quite "out of this world"!

Rocket,

Again, I love the concept here. It really adds alot of realism to the game. Extending from that viewpoint....and probably no aid to gameplay or importance AT ALL...but is there a way from the persistant database that mission makers or say a supply officer (maintenance department) can take an aircraft off of the selection list for say...well "maintenance?" This would be done after so many hours.

I know a lot of people just want to jump right in the aircraft, fly off, bomb a few things and then just eject rather than take the care or time to return the aircraft to it's base. But, there are some units, as mine, that would like to count the number of times you die, the number of times you return, etc into other factors such as promotions and the sort.

I guess another way of asking is, how modifiable is the persistent database to these types of ideas?

Thanks

This is pretty awesome stuff. I've had requests for this kind of persistence since MSO began.

Well done, looks like it was a major undertaking.

During stress testing, I had the database handling over 1500 request a second. However, delays have to be added when performing actions on the server that result in:

- creating object

- sending anything to clients

So as a result, the database syncs everything at when the map is started, and then re-syncs everything as required.

For example, every thirty seconds a client (the users computer) checks to see what has changed in its inventory, any changes are sent to the server, who then syncs these changes with the database. Position is sync'd every two minutes. This means, that if a player crashes - the maximum they will loose in their information state is two minutes,and allows users to drop back in with minimum disruptions.

Currently there are some limitations, but this expands day by day. For example, the database only syncs overall damage and current fuel for vehicles. This is due to the lack of a getHit command. Only way around this is to replace the damageHandler for vehicles. This is already done for "men" class objects, so not a big project but one that has not been a major priority.

Persistence, though, is subject to the law of unintended consequences and the "it seemed like a good idea at the time". For example, persistence means you do have to spend some time picking up abandoned vehicles, refueling and repairing, and eliminated rogue enemies running around the map for days (weeks!) who are left over from missions.

We've managed to mitigate some of the persistence problems by implementing fuel cans and toolboxes (refueling and repairing) that can be carried in your inventory. Nothing more frustrating than finding a spare UH-1H in a valley, only to discover its engine had been left on and its outa gas!

I've uploaded a new video to provide an overview of the Logistics system inside Revolution:

iQNeWTEdu84

very nice

I'm eager to see your USEC assets in Arma 2 again

Is there a Alpha/Beta version we mission makers can get a hold of to play around with on our own servers?

I have five requests from administrators that meet the broad requirements to host the system. One key note, however, is that installation of this requires the running of an external application that I have made (an EXE console app). This console app then talks to a MySQL database. Currently the system is designed specifically for the USEC website, therefore it is taking some time to "decompile" this requirement.

The current plan is to initially release those modular components that can be released, such as the LHA AI Airboss. When time allows I will see if I can do a limited release of the mother system itself.

A new video outlining the Infiltration Side mission in the revolution system:

kLDvVN7--R8

Wow, this really looks good. Are you planning to implement pvp and a persistent front line system? Or did I miss something? :)

Any progress?

Would there be some files availible for use modders and server admins to try?

Hello all, i am new to BIstudio's but not to ARMA. I't wont let me PM you Rocket. My Clan and I are really interested in running our Dedicated Server with this type of game play. Maybe you can PM me Rocket and show, tell, email, me how to set this up if you are still allowing others to run your missions. Thank you for any reply

=LSO= Last-Sight-Online =LSO= RaVeN Server Admin.

Considering that Rocket has moved on from ArmA to exclusively DayZ and the USEC website appears to be down, I think you're out of luck with regards to this year old project Ravvven.

Hate to bump, but this was killed for DayZ development!? Ugh! An insanely good mod halted for a mod that shouldn't be in a military game... but I digress. Hope someone can pick this, or something like this up again, having it be less important than DayZ gets my blood boiling.

Hello Rocket,

I was wondering on how I could get my hands on you very cool USEC Revolution Add/Mission. I have been interested in this for a while now and I finally Got to making a BI account. I was wondering If you could help me get this and if its out for the public.

Bodie "Bravo"